Forza Motorsport

scotta

Re: Forza Motorsport

Post by scotta »

IanF wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:29 am Fvcks ache! Just use a controller!.. it’s the manuel of the digital world
Now Ian. You know that's a load of bollocks.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It does work very well with a controller though.

Better than any other sim racer I've played anyway.
An absolute unit
scotta

Post by scotta »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:42 am It does work very well with a controller though.

Agreed but you wouldn't want to choose to play it on controller.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Meh, I do because I can't be arsed with the faff of a wheel set up. Just want to sit on the couch and play my games.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

scotta wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:43 am
ZedLeg wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:42 am It does work very well with a controller though.

Agreed but you wouldn't want to choose to play it on controller.
Having the space in the house to set up a wheel and pedals is a sign of immense privilege (just beating Zed to it ;) ).

Controller setup on BeamNG is not bad either (does auto-dampening of steering input, offers auto countersteer for slides etc) but I've yet to try it with a wheel, apparently it does play very differently. I just about have the space for it but I'm not sure I can justify the expense for something I dip into twice a month for an evening of pottering about - I've really lost the impetus for gaming lately.
mik

Post by mik »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:47 am Meh, I do because I can't be arsed with the faff of a wheel set up. Just want to sit on the couch and play my games.
Take two bottles into the shower? Zed just likes to wash.... and go!

I love driving games with a wheel. I have pretty close to zero interest in driving games with a controller.

And nobody has ever dislocated a finger with a controller have they? (They may have - I don't know)

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I use bar soap :lol:

Don't get me wrong, when I have played with a wheel it's been good. Just not good enough for me to want the inconvenience over a controller. Also it's a slippery slope to a full sim racing set up and a nasal voice.
An absolute unit
scotta

Post by scotta »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:27 am I use bar soap :lol:

Don't get me wrong, when I have played with a wheel it's been good. Just not good enough for me to want the inconvenience over a controller. Also it's a slippery slope to a full sim racing set up and a nasal voice.
Mik has a full dedicated race seat setup in his house...What a wanker...
Beany

Post by Beany »

Just realised I have a very solid desk in my office, so I could probably attach a wheel to that. And it's height adjustable so I could probably get a decent seating position on it...

I will not piss £500 into a wheel setup,
I will not piss £500 into a wheel setup....

(I think it'd be more than £500 for a decent one anyway, so no, I actually won't)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Beany wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:33 pm Just realised I have a very solid desk in my office, so I could probably attach a wheel to that. And it's height adjustable so I could probably get a decent seating position on it...

I will not piss £500 into a wheel setup....

(I think it'd be more than £500 for a decent one anyway, so no, I actually won't)
Logitech G29 clamped to a desk is all you need. It’s about 10 times more enjoyable than on a controller.
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

Beany wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:33 pm I will not piss £500 into a wheel setup....

My lottery win will trigger purchase of some fancier stuff, but you can absolutely access the world of force-feedback wheel shizzle without blowing the bank. G29 or something like mine (Thrustmaster T300RS) will leave you a chunk of change from £500. 8-)
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, but I'm not going to do that, I'm going to go for a 20nm direct drive device to snap my wrists when I wallop a Widgeon in West Coasts new oil refinery.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Paging @dan - How much change from £500 did you get for your setup?
dan

Post by dan »

scotta wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:48 pm Paging @dan - How much change from £500 did you get for your setup?
Not as much as you might hope :?

Beany

Post by Beany »

Sensible use of extruded alu bits there, I like it.
mik

Post by mik »

Don't be fooled though - he only plays the guitar whilst on the straights. :roll:
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Beany wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:30 pm Sensible use of extruded alu bits there, I like it.
That’s how most of the ‘pro’ ones are made. They just supply them cut to length with the fixings.

Not hard to diy one to very similar specs
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

I just assumed that Dan did it because, you know, it's fucking Dan but yeah, I've seen a few rigs (used by streamers, I've genuinely not been looking) that featured extruded alu quite a lot.

I mean, makes sense - light, plenty strong enough and easy to make modular for adjustments.

I genuinely don't have space for a proper 'sit down and stretch your legs out' setup, even if I did take the time to gain the wherewithal to build my own.

Maybe in the next house...
dan

Post by dan »

Helpfully Simlab (who make and sell these things) have dimensioned drawings of their rigs on their website so I just ordered a load of extrusion from a supplier over here and knocked it up.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I like the idea of that as a project but it would end up as a pile of half assembled scrap in the corner and I'd still be on the couch with my controller :lol:
An absolute unit