Insurance Question

scotta

Insurance Question

Post by scotta »

We’ve bought another mini for Mrs A. I’ve transferred the insurance from the old mini to the new one. I’m covered to drive any other car not registered to me. Does it need to be insured by another person for that to be valid?
GG.

Re: Insurance Question

Post by GG. »

I defer to other but I don’t believe so. It’s third party only but as long as it’s road worthy (and you’re not insured on it as a named driver) you should be good to go but your insurance providers t’s and c’s may vary (you should check).
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

I was under the impression that 3rd party cover only extends to cars that are insured in their own right. I guess there are exceptions to everything, but nearly all my policies have stated this.

Edit - confused.com states:

Can I drive an uninsured car on my insurance?
No, you can't. Even if you have DOC, the other car must have a valid insurance policy.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I’m sure back in the day they used to just say as long as it wasn’t owned by you or loaned to you under a hire agreement or some such, but have read plenty of places saying the vehicle itself has to be insured before you can use your ‘driving other vehicles’ cover.

Also noticed a few years ago a lot of policies had started dropping that from their cover. It used to be pretty much universally included with any comprehensive policy but now you have to double check it is.
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Three points here:
1. The insurance policy is definitive as to whether the car needs its own policy. If it doesn’t say that, you are insured to drive it. But…
2. Usually driving other cars on your own policy covers them third party only and for cars that aren’t owned by or hired to you or a spouse so you’d be buggered if it says that.
3. The owner would still be committing an offence if it was taxed but not insured, since the introduction of continuous insurance. The driver might not be but an ANPR ping would pick it up. And since the car needs to be taxed for you to drive it legally under your own policy, that’s a bit of a Catch 22.
scotta

Post by scotta »

The continuous insurance point could be an issue. I’ll need to SORN it.