Maserati: Ready to Take on Porsche?

SSO

Maserati: Ready to Take on Porsche?

Post by SSO »

I spent a bit of time recently with the Maserati leadership team. Here's my take away:

https://karenable.com/maserati2023/

Thoughts?
V8Granite

Re: Maserati: Ready to Take on Porsche?

Post by V8Granite »

Even though the 911 always ends up as the best driving car and has performance well above what the performance suggests, they have turned a bit pudding like imo.

The 930, 964, 993 and 996 all looked small and nimble. A car suited to b-roads. The 997 started the slightly heavy look and since then they just look too big so even though the performance is incredible, they don’t sit on any of my dream car lists.

Apart from the SUV and newer Quattroporte the Maseratis just look more special.

Dave!
SSO

Post by SSO »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:57 am Even though the 911 always ends up as the best driving car and has performance well above what the performance suggests, they have turned a bit pudding like imo.

The 930, 964, 993 and 996 all looked small and nimble. A car suited to b-roads. The 997 started the slightly heavy look and since then they just look too big so even though the performance is incredible, they don’t sit on any of my dream car lists.

Apart from the SUV and newer Quattroporte the Maseratis just look more special.

Dave!
I think there is a lot to like about the MC20
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Maserati’s plan sounds like a Bahar run McLaren! But with actual financial backing, I guess.

As soon as I read 200k and carbon fibre, I’m thinking of McLaren more than Porsche or Lotus, but Maserati’s other offerings seem to cover every significant market. Has anyone planned such a significant product change over such a short timespan?? (Except Bahar) It sounds like doing what Jaguar is trying to do over the last decade in just two years..

I agree the gen 1 GT sounds glorious and it’s a shame Elkan couldn’t renew that relationship with Ferrari, but I guess the MC20 may step on Ferrari’s toes a bit so can see why that wouldn’t happen. I happened to pull up next to a test bed gen 2 GT a few months back.. it sounded good but nowhere near the previous sonorous V8 that was one of the best sounding cars ever imho!
Cheers,

Ian