Bully XL

Simon

Re: Bully XL

Post by Simon »

The artist formerly known as _Who_
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:44 am There are already plenty of options for bull terrier type dogs though.

This has been specifically bred to be as strong and violent as possible, before you start taking the behavioural problems associated with inbreeding into account.

The attacks aren’t a kink, it’s the point of the dog.

It sucks for the dogs but they aren’t well and they’re a danger.

Some dogs just don’t make good pets.
They were bred to remove the prey drive and to be a confident companion dog.

The fact that some fuckwits decided they were fashionable isn’t the fault of the dog. There are far more powerful dogs for their purposes.

Is everyone getting their information from the Daily Mail page or something ?

A list of dogs I’m around semi regularly for context.

Jack Russel
Cane Corso
Rottweiler (not mine)
Pug / Staffie Cross
Mongrel
Ridgeback / Whippet cross
Border Terrier
Cockapoo x 2
French Bulldog
German Shepard
Black Lab
Chocolate Lab
Whippet
Scottish Terrier
Staffordshire bill terrier

The male Cockapoo has to wear a muzzle when outside due to multiple attacks.
The French Bulldog bitch was re-homed as it got aggressive to the persons young daughter over food.

The Frenchy was solely due to treating it like a human, the Cockapoo was just a glitch as it’s such a new breed imo.

What will be the punishment for the bad breeders ? Or will they just add a little bit of another breed in so the same bad line of dogs gets a different fur coat but is just as bad. Can kicked down the road.

I have a big soapbox here, I’m annoying myself now!!

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I agree with you regarding most dogs Dave but these new dogs have been bred from fight dogs to be fight dogs, with reports of heavy inbreeding. They’re basically a gun that goes off every time they get nervous.

I’m not being hysterical about dog attacks, I’m being realistic about what this “breed” is.
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:02 am I agree with you regarding most dogs Dave but these new dogs have been bred from fight dogs to be fight dogs, with reports of heavy inbreeding. They’re basically a gun that goes off every time they get nervous.

I’m not being hysterical about dog attacks, I’m being realistic about what this “breed” is.
So this will stop it ?

The Breed has been butchered by some fuckwits, they won’t be punished, will add a little bit of another dog in and then boom, another dog banned. Rinse and repeat.

The industry was a self serving heap as it was, I heard of a breeder when we first started looking 10 years ago who only went on about head and chest size, nothing at all about their mum and dads temprament, health etc.

The ONLY people who lose out in this situation are good breeders and good owners. There is zero impact on those causing the problem.

This is like lots of people caught crashing and instead of going for the drivers, banning Imprezas instead.

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The point is there are no good breeders for this dog or the dog wouldn’t be the way it is.

Again, I agree with you in general and I’m not generally a fan of breed bans, but these dogs are clearly dangerous and there isn’t currently a better option.
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:15 am The point is there are no good breeders for this dog or the dog wouldn’t be the way it is.

Again, I agree with you in general and I’m not generally a fan of breed bans, but these dogs are clearly dangerous and there isn’t currently a better option.
There are no good breeders ?

They’ve been around since the 80s so why only the last couple of years has there been issues ?

I think the next dog to be banned will be the Cane Corso, after that who knows.

Dave!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I think the factor that's difficult to calculate when it comes to dog attack statistics is, a much higher percentage of these dogs are owned by scumbags, who mistreat the dogs and obtain them from scumbag breeders. They are also more likely to be around neglected children or at the very least children whose parents are incapable of properly evaluating risk.

The issue is bound to be as much around breeders, environment and ownership as the breed itself. If this was a popular breed with normal families instead of scumbags, the attack statistics would be lower. Not saying the breeding and dogs themselves are not part of the problem, I don't know enough about their behaviour. All I'm saying is that I think to get meaningful data on that, you'd needed to study a lot more than just X breed did X many attacks.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I’m tapping out, I can’t compete with media hype from those knowledgeable dog breed journalists.

I’m taking my dogs for a walk and will buy them something from the Butchers as I’m feeling frustrated and delicate 😂

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:25 am
ZedLeg wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:15 am The point is there are no good breeders for this dog or the dog wouldn’t be the way it is.

There are no good breeders ?

They’ve been around since the 80s so why only the last couple of years has there been issues ?

I think the next dog to be banned will be the Cane Corso, after that who knows.

Dave!
They haven’t been around since the 80s, they’ve only really become readily available in the uk more recently. The American Bully was only standardised 20 years ago and this XL variant is newer.

I still think we’re generally on the same page here but I don’t think we’ll get to an agreement :lol:
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

If you call me a right wing cunt and I call you a left wing snowflake I think we can return to the status quo 😂.

Off to hunt bad breeders and if not, I’ll be in London with one of them in a couple of weeks so will get him to shit on Sunaks pillow.

Dave!
dan

Post by dan »

Why do people give a shit, unless you've got some vested interest in these horrible things then just move on with your life and don't worry about it.

Amazing that everything is so partisan these days and if you don't agree with me you're a woke / lefty / read the daily mail / insert favourite reductive argument here, i'm glad I have so little time to read the internet these days as its a constant eye roll provider for me.

Going out for a walk sounds like an excellent idea, I recommend more people go outside :D
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

It’s because when I go outside a comment will be made that people like me shouldn’t own dogs like I do. We even had it once while a ladies dog was hanging off our old dogs cheek and he was stood still wondering what this thing was up to 😂

Agreed, a month with no media would be bloody lovely.

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I’ll admit I just like to argue, I think it’s probably something to do with the ADHD. Maybe when I get treatment I’ll just disappear like Rev :lol:
An absolute unit
Simon

Post by Simon »

dan wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:48 am Why do people give a shit.
Probably because some people on one side think their rights to breed or own a massive child eating monster are being impinged and on the other side people who out to go out in society without worry about their kids, pets, etc being eaten.

Remember guys, this is similar to the gun debate. Sure, there are responsible gun owners, but at the end of the day you ban them because any one can be dangerous. Guns are made to kill people, end of story. Why would you want them in anyone's hands?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Simon wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:08 am
Remember guys, this is similar to the gun debate. Sure, there are responsible gun owners, but at the end of the day you ban them because any one can be dangerous. Guns are made to kill people, end of story. Why would you want them in anyone's hands?
That's probably the crux of the matter really.

I personally think they're fucking hideous anyway, don't know why anyone would want one unless it's for nefarious reasons.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I disagree there tbh, I think they’re handsome dogs. Hate the ear and tail cropping but look at the smiley face.

The thing is though, you can get all the good traits and none of the bad with other, smaller breeds. Just get a staffie or a frenchie.
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

That’s the thing though, people’s perceptions differ.

I’d not own a Cockapoo around my kids but would own an XL Bully from a proper breeder. Staffies, Mastiffs, Jack Russells etc definitely.

Would I let my kids play with their friends with my dogs around them, no as I don’t trust other peoples kids and also my 2 are clumsy when excited and I’d not want anyone else’s kids hurt. When dogs know their place they don’t react negatively. Lots of dogs don’t know their place.
mik

Post by mik »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:23 am Just get a staffie or a frenchie.
Frenchie's do zero for me, but I've yet to meet a Staffie that wasn't lovely.

Friend's cockapoo is both food and toy guardy, and switches from playful to snappy very quickly - but that for me is a training issue that they haven't tackled.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:23 am I disagree there tbh, I think they’re handsome dogs. Hate the ear and tail cropping but look at the smiley face.
It's ok for you to like something different to me! :D Probably most of the pictures I've seen are deliberately aggressive looking ones (because media), but I generally prefer something a bit more wolfie looking like a German shepherd, collie or husky. I don't go in for all these chunky squashed face things.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

What's wrong with my dogs Duncs! ;)