Reccomendicate a laptop

Explosive Newt

Reccomendicate a laptop

Post by Explosive Newt »

I just won £1500 in a competition and my XPS13 is 6 years old.

I'm after a 13" ultrabook (ie small and light) that will last me a few years and be good at data crunching / office apps / happily link to big monitors but offer a sideline in watching Netflix. Easy to type on keyboard.

My first instinct is just replace it with a decent XPS13 https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptops ... /cn93349sc £1399 with a uni discount.

But I am open to alternatives. I've never owned or really used a mac, I know they are popular but I'm uncertain about making the jump.
DeskJockey

Re: Reccomendicate a laptop

Post by DeskJockey »

Save the bulk of the cash and buy a used T480s or newer Lenovo/equivalent Dell?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I have bought a load of Dells from their outlet store: https://www.dell.com/en-uk/dfh/lp/outlet

There are loads of different configurations on there but go for something current (13th gen Intel chips and 9320 model) and check every line of the spec but I think you'll find something cheaper than with the academic discount. There's an i7 with 16GB of RAM, 1TB drive and the higher res screen for £1326 or with 512GB drive for £1272. You get a pretty comprehensive warranty; I had a tech come out to my home and replace the keyboard and trackpad when mine started becoming flaky after a year.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

HP Probook's are not quite as snazzy looking as the XPS but still metal cased and well made but circa 2/3 of the price.

On my 3rd HP in 22 years and my wife and kids still use the 2nd one.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Carlos wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:44 pm HP Probook's are not quite as snazzy looking as the XPS but still metal cased and well made but circa 2/3 of the price.

On my 3rd HP in 22 years and my wife and kids still use the 2nd one.
How is the keyboard for typing?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I use a separate screen and keyboard 90% of the time but it feels like a proper full size keyboard that is positive and clacky if that makes sense!

Its the same keyboard that's on the Elitebook.