MX5 test drive

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: MX5 test drive

Post by Jobbo »

IanF wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:26 pm https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305065477223
Absolutely not - been there, done that. I've considered a more recent 981 or 718 but want something a bit lighter and more raw.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:51 pm want something a bit lighter and more raw.
I'd say "elise" but after just looking at how low Dunc's was, my knees started crying.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:51 pm
Absolutely not - been there, done that. I've considered a more recent 981 or 718 but want something a bit lighter and more raw.
Maybe something else that seller has? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305063134171 ... SwI8Rk0nDR

A new colour for '23;

Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Nope to the S2000 - that's still a £5k car to my mind. Glad they seem to be appreciated now though.

That Zircon Sand colour is so awful I haven't seen a single MX5 painted in it yet :lol:
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

MikeHunt wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:35 pm
John wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:03 pm The handling is a bit roly poly as standard so I had the Mazda/Eibach 30mm lowering springs fitted to mine. Much less roll and of course an improvement in the looks too.
Ive also lowered mine and added uprated anti roll bars, I think it does take away that extra movement that Dave refers to at higher speeds.
That's interesting. I quite liked the roll personally, reminded me of Brian Drought's Elise which was set up soft and supple. What I wasn't so keen on was the 'all at sea for a moment' feeling when you cross pot holes or a ridge mid corner while leaning - the feeling through the seat was the same as most other car's saying 'steady on or you'll get spit off the road!' So I ended up backing off a lot in places just in case that's what actually was about to happen, rather than assume/trust it was just a bit of squidge and everything will be fine. Same roads in a Civic Type R and my own vanilla GT86 and a supercharged 86RC with KWs produced no such worries, they just felt way more keyed into the road to know what was actually happening. Like I said, no idea if the feeling was valid or if you'd learn to trust it and carry on - I don't particularly feel like I was driving like I was trying to set hill climb records either. Owner of it describes it as a car for driving at 70-80% because the last bit is sketchy. Maybe that's exactly what it's for ergo it's perfect.

I'll certainly pass on the comments about lowering and the roll bars though. Probably be cheaper than the KWs he's considering.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

My couple of brief drives in my mum's Mk3 echo much of what you described @Jobbo. I love the mechanical weighty feeling of the controls and the handy roof mechanism. I think these newer ones look great too.

I don't know why you wouldn't regularly choose to jump in that instead of the S6?

I'm assuming you had the same experience with your previous ones, but I've done a few basic jobs on my mum's previous mk2 and her Mk3 as well and they were an absolute joy to work on, so based on my limited experience they are really well screwed together.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:24 am My couple of brief drives in my mum's Mk3 echo much of what you described @Jobbo. I love the mechanical weighty feeling of the controls and the handy roof mechanism. I think these newer ones look great too.

I don't know why you wouldn't regularly choose to jump in that instead of the S6?

I'm assuming you had the same experience with your previous ones, but I've done a few basic jobs on my mum's previous mk2 and her Mk3 as well and they were an absolute joy to work on, so based on my limited experience they are really well screwed together.
I did a small amount of fixing stuff on my mk1s but mostly sent them to Flewy :lol: Definitely nice and easy to work on though. And I would certainly have brought an MX5 over the S6 last Saturday but that is the first meet I've been to in nearly a decade :lol: I think an up to date MX5 with Carplay cruise control that averages over 40mpg is something I'd often drive to the office though; it might not be as refined on the motorway but it would be a nice contrast and there are plenty of alternative back roads to take on the way home.

I forgot to mention that just as I was returning to the dealership at the end of my test drive, there was a mk3.5 MX5 waiting at some traffic lights and I realised how good it looked. The original mk3 looked a bit soft and the arches were too prominent; the different bumpers and sills on the mk3.5 really resolved that. And having watched High Peak Autos' video of a mk3 last night, I realised how similar some bits are to the mk1 - the boot looks and sounds very similar, the bonnet release etc. The mk4 doesn't feel like a direct evolution in quite the same way. But if I wanted a mk1 I'd buy another mk1, not a cheap mk3. Been through that thought process when you posted your mum's car.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I don't think it's a good buy if you're waiting for our once a decade meets! :D But as you say, it's perfectly capable of the occasional commute, and would probably often be the vehicle of choice for weekend jaunts with the missus.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Talking about your S6: I see the new SQ8 is changing to a petrol V8; I wonder if the S6 will follow suit?

Didn’t remember you’d had a Boxster before, but guess it’d be a good choice if you wanted one car to replace S6 and be a convertible, sporty option. What’s the Z4 like these days; is it too heavy for what you’re looking for?
Cheers,

Ian
mik

Post by mik »

IanF wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:25 am
Didn’t remember you’d had a Boxster before, but guess it’d be a good choice if you wanted one car to replace S6 and be a convertible, sporty option.
I get the impression @Jobbo absolutely doesn't want a more focussed car that can also replace the S6 - he wants the S6 plus something more focussed that is still friendly enough to do a commute - so actually gets used. :?:
scotta

Post by scotta »

I realise this is at the opposite side of the scale that you are looking at but...

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2013-mazda-mx-5-nc3

MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

I recently did a 2 day road trip in the mx5. Forest of Borland, Dales, Howardian hills and the Moors day 1. Pennines and the Lakes day 2. Either cars would have done the trip and my lazy old bones were hankering towards the BMW, just because the motorways trips up the M6 would have been so much easier with massage seats and self driving. I decided on the Mazda and glad I did because it wasnt embarrassed by much more expensive and capable metal and having to work hard to keep up with M2s and S3s made it more fun, but also because plating up a moor in the sun with the roof down really is a cherry in terms of giving the experience an edge.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

IanF wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:25 am Talking about your S6: I see the new SQ8 is changing to a petrol V8; I wonder if the S6 will follow suit?

Didn’t remember you’d had a Boxster before, but guess it’d be a good choice if you wanted one car to replace S6 and be a convertible, sporty option. What’s the Z4 like these days; is it too heavy for what you’re looking for?
It wouldn't be a replacement for the S6. I've only had that about 4 months and I like it :lol: My Jimny doesn't get much use; it's fun and mechanical but it's for a specific job of going down green lanes and I wouldn't want to commute up the motorway in it. I just miss my MX5 and am feeling like enjoying ICE cars while they're still available; buying something I'll keep for a decade.

The Autocar story this week about the SQ8 switching to petrol was only 3 years after they correctly first announced it :lol: Sadly that V8 diesel died around 2020 and any Panameras or SQ8s with it fitted have already been reasonably well used. My guess is the S6 will die completely when the A6 range gets replaced, probably in 3 years with a load of 2.0 4-cyl versions and an RS6 to top it off as a swansong for petrol.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Great video from Catchpole on the A110R

mik

Post by mik »

scotta wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:35 am Great video from Catchpole on the A110R
£97k (before options) and it still has the 4-banger. :(

And anyway - shirley Alpine is a £50k brand? (/ @Rich B )
scotta

Post by scotta »

mik wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:48 am
£97k (before options) and it still has the 4-banger. :(

And anyway - shirley Alpine is a £50k brand? (/ @Rich B )
I never clocked the price...that is £LOTS.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

That is remarkable that 986s are commanding that sort of price, which is 987 territory in my mind.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I know the body addenda and bonnet are meant to evoke the rally A110s of 50 years ago but they don't really work to me. Just looks like a Max Power version of the A110.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:26 pm

I know the body addenda and bonnet are meant to evoke the rally A110s of 50 years ago but they don't really work to me. Just looks like a Max Power version of the A110.
Yeah I'm no fan. There's a purity to the base model that appeals so much. I quite like the R's wheels though!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I do quite like the wheels - though I love the Legende wheels.