Getting sozzled on a Tuesday

DeskJockey

Getting sozzled on a Tuesday

Post by DeskJockey »

Kids are with their grandparents, so I booked us into a local Michelin recommended Indian restaurant in walking distance from home.

Went for the tasting menu with wine pairings, and a sneaky cocktail beforehand. Result is both Mrs and Mr DJ are rather "round underfoot" (to mangle a Danish expression). Food was very nice, only gripe was the pudding. The parfait was too cold, making it hard to eat.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Re: Getting sozzled on a Tuesday

Post by mik »

Ooh - I went to a Michelin recommended Indian place in in Richmond some years back - can’t recall the name but it was awesume. 8-)
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

8-) High quality Indian food can be great, although I think there is a sweet spot where it's still typical curry house fayre but done really nicely. Above that it loses a certain something, I was a little disappointed with the Cinnamon Club, still tasty, but maybe I don't have refined enough taste for it.:)
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

I went to the Cinnamon Club severeal years ago, a guy who was showing off to my ex's family took us. There were 8 of us at the table and he spent half the meal discussing wine with the sommelier, only to order an expensive bottle which we would each get a fraction of a glass from. It was gone in two sips and then we'd have to wait another 30 minutes for him to order another. Food was nice tho.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Cinnamon Club, Dishoom, all these modern Indian fushions are overpriced shit. Yes the presentation and decor looks nice, but unfortunately they don’t add to the flavour.

Pubjab Indian Restaurant on Neal Street is where you want to go for actual authentic food.
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Posh Indian Food is lovely. I've eaten in Atul Kochar's Vaasu in Marlow which was lovely. It was for a work lunch however so unfortunately was a little rushed.

Lasan in Birmingham was also good - not as good as Vaasu as it still very nice. It did seemed like it was trying too hard NOT to be a curry house with deconstructed versions of classics - e.g. their Jalfrezi was a whole chicken breast, roasted in dry spices, fried onions and pickled green chilli's and peppers served separately and a "Gravy" in a little jug. Then you pour it over and combine the various ingredients, it did taste like a curry house Jalfrezi but overall, it seemed like it was trying to be too clever.

We got a sharing starter which was amazing though.

Mito is right though - it is overpriced and if I'm going to pay bigger money for a meal out, Indian wouldn't be my first choice
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Post by mik »

mik wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:42 pm Ooh - I went to a Michelin recommended Indian place in in Richmond some years back - can’t recall the name but it was awesume. 8-)
Had another look - it was actually Tangiwizi in Twickenham.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:23 am Posh Indian Food is lovely. I've eaten in Atul Kochar's Vaasu in Marlow which was lovely. It was for a work lunch however so unfortunately was a little rushed.

Lasan in Birmingham was also good - not as good as Vaasu as it still very nice. It did seemed like it was trying too hard NOT to be a curry house with deconstructed versions of classics - e.g. their Jalfrezi was a whole chicken breast, roasted in dry spices, fried onions and pickled green chilli's and peppers served separately and a "Gravy" in a little jug. Then you pour it over and combine the various ingredients, it did taste like a curry house Jalfrezi but overall, it seemed like it was trying to be too clever.

We got a sharing starter which was amazing though.

Mito is right though - it is overpriced and if I'm going to pay bigger money for a meal out, Indian wouldn't be my first choice
It was his Indian Essence restaurant we went to.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:16 am Cinnamon Club, Dishoom, all these modern Indian fushions are overpriced shit. Yes the presentation and decor looks nice, but unfortunately they don’t add to the flavour.

Pubjab Indian Restaurant on Neal Street is where you want to go for actual authentic food.
Bollocks. I can't speak for the Cinnamon club but the food in Dishoom is excellent. I've never had a bad meal in any of them that I've been to. My only criticism is that the menu doesn't change enough.