Real Housewife of Cheshire

Maurice

Real Housewife of Cheshire

Post by Maurice »

Hi, hello, hiya, sorry I’ve been quiet etc etc.

What better way to re-ingratiate myself with you lot than with details of a new motah.

I’ve had the C63 for a couple of years now and whilst it’s been faultless, I’ve had a niggling feeling the last few months that it’s a little too compromised as a daily, particularly the ride. Whilst it was a total bear of a car to hustle, I did begin to question why I was compromising on ride and more general comfort when I’ve access to something as sharp and precise as the Exige.

This put into motion a train of thought that something that was a little more supple, a little more cosseting, yet still with enough woofly attitude to raise a smile when needed might be preferable, and well…this has happened:

2019 Velar SVA Dynamic Edition in Santorini Black with Ivory Windsor leather.

In reality, I’d been looking at them for six months or so as they really ticked the boxes on the basis of them being (i) big enough, but not so huge as to feel like a tanker, and (ii) being relatively discreet, as I suspect Joe Bloggs won’t know what they are. I’ve also spent quite a lot of time with the Range Rover range and so knew broadly what to expect from a driving perspective.

I did consider RRS SVR, but they were a little too pricey for good ones and I don’t particularly like the image of them (he says being fully aware of the Velar being a Cheshire Housewife staple - I’ve always dreamt of becoming one). Also had a look at Macans, but kept coming back to the Velar.

This particular one has been owned by the same owner from new and he’s clearly gone crazy with the spec sheet. Carbon Weave interior, Signature Meridian Soundsystem, Driver Assist Pack, HUD, etc etc. It really does have everything you can imagine (even down to the LR carbon wing-mirror caps and rear spoiler).

Only had it a few days, but first impressions are that it’s exactly what I wanted, being a great mix of comfort and total giggles in a straight line. It feels every bit as quick as the Merc when up and running too, which is deeply impressive. Dynamic mode does tie things down nicely when giving it some on twistier stuff. The interior is several leagues above the Merc, making it feel frankly cheap in comparison.

I look forward to this turning into a total disaster of a purchase given the Velar’s reliability reputation, but in the meantime, it’s a total thug in a suit and I love it.

8-)
DeskJockey

Re: Real Housewife of Cheshire

Post by DeskJockey »

I'm glad you've ticked a box! I'm assuming it has the V8 engine?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Post by mik »

Lovely. :lol:

Also - do you want some? :evil:
GG.

Post by GG. »

Nice.

p.s. fit an immobilser. That is all.
scotta

Post by scotta »

GG. wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:49 am Nice.

p.s. fit an immobilser. That is all.
Can you do an ignition bomb mod like you can in GTA online - Just a thought...!

Looks great Ross.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Gangsta
The artist formerly known as _Who_
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Welcome back! Enough about all that, how's the 'xige rollin'? ;)

All sounds well thought out and logical with this, don't know which models, but I have seen a few SVRs about and they sounded good.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Maurice wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:40 pmThis particular one has been owned by the same owner from new and she’s clearly gone crazy with the spec sheet. Carbon Weave interior, Signature Meridian Soundsystem, Driver Assist Pack, HUD, etc etc. It really does have everything you can imagine (even down to the LR carbon wing-mirror caps and rear spoiler).
Edited :lol:
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

The Velar is based on the F-Pace, no? Should mean it drives well at least and maybe not as desirable for light-fingered cvnts.

Looks very nice though! 👍
Cheers,

Ian
Simon

Post by Simon »

My bro's sister-in-law had an early Velar. It served them well, compared to the history of RRSports, Overfinches etc that they had before which all seemed to have issues. They chopped it in for a Urus in the end.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Maurice wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:40 pm relatively discreet, as I suspect Joe Bloggs won’t know what they are
I'm sure Joe Bloggs' criminal friends will nick them anyway :lol:

Great looking car and not an Ingenium so shouldn't have too many engine problems. I still can't quite summon up the will to have an SUV myself; getting in the wife's Macan and putting the seat as low as it will go still wasn't low enough for me. I'm quite happy sitting upright in a Jimny though :lol:
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

500+bhp non? Looks good.
tim

Post by tim »

I don't understand what a Velar is, in RR terms, but it looks suitably gangsta so well done.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:11 pm
Maurice wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:40 pm relatively discreet, as I suspect Joe Bloggs won’t know what they are

Great looking car and not an Ingenium so shouldn't have too many engine problems. I still can't quite summon up the will to have an SUV myself; getting in the wife's Macan and putting the seat as low as it will go still wasn't low enough for me. I'm quite happy sitting upright in a Jimny though :lol:
I am absolutely not missing the SUV driving position since disposing of the X5.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

tim wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:06 pm I don't understand what a Velar is, in RR terms, but it looks suitably gangsta so well done.
DYELC?
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

That looks tough 8-)
GG.

Post by GG. »

scotta wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:09 pm
Jobbo wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:11 pm

I am absolutely not missing the SUV driving position since disposing of the X5.
I'm finding it quite nice having one high and one low car. Every time I go from one to the other it comes as a bit of a surprise so you never take either for granted. The Range Rover is fine by any normal standards but does feel worringly wallowy if you jump in it straight after the 911.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Yeah it's weird getting out of the Kuga into the XF, it feels like you're sat on the floor.

The engine in this Velars can be made to make some silly power if you get bored of it!

They're a lot more car like to drive than the RR or RRS, like a jacked up XFR.
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

Thanks all!

@GG. I’ve thought quite a bit about Ghost immobiliser as I had one on the Merc, however I’m a little more concerned with having to actually use the warranty on the Velar at some point given their less than stellar reputation. I worry that a third party immobiliser would void the warranty or at the very least LR would be difficult about it if they discovered it. On the case with Tracker through LR however.

@Shlergen 542bhp and 500+lb ft torque. 60-100 in low fours by the looks of it 😎

@Jobbo the non-Ingenium was a big part of the appeal if I’m honest. Yes it’s old school in comparison to the V8 in the Merc, but the AJ-V8 been about in various guises for decades and don’t think there are too many horror stories.

@duncs500 - ‘xige still in rude health, although it looks even more like a roller skate when parked next to the Velar. Will get a pic at some point. Going to be hilarious to compare them back to back.

@IanF - yep, it’s very similar to an F-Pace SVR underneath, other than it’s on air rather than conventionally sprung.
mik

Post by mik »

Maurice wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:40 pm
I did consider RRS SVR,
Massively more appealing to me than an RRS SVR. Better size, better visual, better betters.