Butter Fingers

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Butter Fingers

Post by Jobbo »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:31 pm Bear in mind they're providing advice presumably for the entire USA
USADA are, and they recommend two days. That site says 2 weeks.

As soon as butter starts to look a bit more yellow I can taste it turning rancid, which only affects the surface at first. I'm quite happy to keep it in the fridge and get it out in advance, or cook with it from the fridge :shock:

If I had a proper cool dark pantry then I'd be happy keeping it in there but everyone seems to have a south-facing kitchen with massive windows and bi-fold doors these days, so I'd suggest the ambient temp in a kitchen over here isn't exactly cool :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I won't bother storing it outside as it takes months for me to go through a tub, usually it ends up going off anyway so I bin it before it's finished.
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:40 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:31 pm Bear in mind they're providing advice presumably for the entire USA
USADA are, and they recommend two days. That site says 2 weeks.

As soon as butter starts to look a bit more yellow I can taste it turning rancid, which only affects the surface at first. I'm quite happy to keep it in the fridge and get it out in advance, or cook with it from the fridge :shock:

If I had a proper cool dark pantry then I'd be happy keeping it in there but everyone seems to have a south-facing kitchen with massive windows and bi-fold doors these days, so I'd suggest the ambient temp in a kitchen over here isn't exactly cool :lol:
I must admit I never thought about the aspect. Ours on the north-facing side of the house so rarely gets that warm. Probably averaging about 22C at the moment.

I'm beginning to think that maybe we just get through it quicker than many. We probably get through just over 1 250g block a week. And we don't really cook with it much either.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:43 pm I won't bother storing it outside as it takes months for me to go through a tub, usually it ends up going off anyway so I bin it before it's finished.
Tub? Are you using peanut butter…?
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

mik wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:33 am I like real butter - always have some in the fridge for cooking - but find the “spreadable butter” options more practical for sandwiches/toast/crumpets/Hedgehogs etc etc

The 400g (wasn’t it 500g just recently?) pack size is far less financially appealing than the larger packs, but the latter almost always end up binned before the product inside is exhausted as someone drops it (tiled floor) :evil:

Why oh why oh why @Gavster isn’t there a larger pack available with improved ergonomics to defeat the clumsy hands of idiots? I’m trying to save mone…. sorry, I mean The Planet here…. :geek:
I'd love to clarify the situation but I'm spread a bit thin right now, I'm sure google can churn out some answers.
mik

Post by mik »

@Gavster

GG.

Post by GG. »

Clearly everyone has forgotten your Simpsons instructionals regarding the proper use of butter: