Butter Fingers

mik

Butter Fingers

Post by mik »

I like real butter - always have some in the fridge for cooking - but find the “spreadable butter” options more practical for sandwiches/toast/crumpets/Hedgehogs etc etc

The 400g (wasn’t it 500g just recently?) pack size is far less financially appealing than the larger packs, but the latter almost always end up binned before the product inside is exhausted as someone drops it (tiled floor) :evil:

Why oh why oh why @Gavster isn’t there a larger pack available with improved ergonomics to defeat the clumsy hands of idiots? I’m trying to save mone…. sorry, I mean The Planet here…. :geek:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Butter Fingers

Post by Rich B »

Have you been pushing yourself a little too hard recently Mik?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

This may be backwards pleb behaviour but i thought butter is always spreadable as it lives in a butter dish in the cupboard? :D
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I keep butter in the fridge until it’s about to be needed and then it lives in a butter dish betwixt the toaster and hob.. obvs diw :D
Cheers,

Ian
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Lurpak spreadable for toast etc (but not hedgehogs - WTF?) and a block of proper butter for cooking.

I used to keep a block of proper butter in a dish outside the fridge but the Nigella dish lid was too easily removed by cats (fortunately it is very easy to tell when they have licked it) and it used to go rancid a bit too quickly.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Carlos wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:24 pm This may be backwards pleb behaviour but i thought butter is always spreadable as it lives in a butter dish in the cupboard? :D
Correctomundo!!
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Carlos wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:24 pm This may be backwards pleb behaviour but i thought butter is always spreadable as it lives in a butter dish in the cupboard? :D
Or, in our case, on the worktop right next to the toaster. You know, where you might need it. :lol:

Balls to spreadable junk.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:14 pm
Balls to spreadable junk.
Also, correctomundo
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:51 pm
Correctomundo!!
Also correct but less of the Teenage Mutant Ni ha turtle about it.

Animal based butters and cooking products only.

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

Yeah but when it's warm it gets too soft :?

And (in what may be another statement for @Gavster to debunk (if he hasn't already done so (and once he stops ignoring my initial question))) - "The U.S. Department of Agriculture recommends leaving butter at room temperature no more than two days. After that period of time, the butter can turn rancid".
GG.

Post by GG. »

mik wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:50 am

And (in what may be another statement for @Gavster to debunk (if he hasn't already done so (and once he stops ignoring my initial question))) - "The U.S. Department of Agriculture recommends leaving butter at room temperature no more than two days. After that period of time, the butter can turn rancid".
You need salted butter. Plus it tastes better too:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/do ... ITLE_HDR_3
mik

Post by mik »

Aha - didn't realise that statement only applied to unsalted. I only buy salted.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

:shock: I never knew you could store butter out of the fridge
How about not having a sig at all?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:04 pm :shock: I never knew you could store butter out of the fridge
I bet your ketchup is in the fridge as well lol
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:28 am Also correct but less of the Teenage Mutant Ni ha turtle about it.
I was going for Jules from Pulp Fiction but fair enough :lol:

Kerrygold is the best butter IMO
GG.

Post by GG. »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:55 pm
V8Granite wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:28 am Also correct but less of the Teenage Mutant Ni ha turtle about it.
I was going for Jules from Pulp Fiction but fair enough :lol:

Kerrygold is the best butter IMO
Hate to break it to you but this stuff from across the border is significantly better - https://abernethybutter.com/ which, to be honest, will still be beaten by a whole host of salted French butter because the French just do it better.

To be honest, things like spreadable butter (and I'll admit we have some in the fridge) are probably as good a candidate to be taxed as ultraprocessed junk as most soft drinks. That goes for most bread as well whilst we are at it - even supermarket sourdough had a whole bunch of additives in it.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

mik wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:03 pm Aha - didn't realise that statement only applied to unsalted. I only buy salted.
It doesn't only apply to unsalted:

It’s fine to leave unsalted butter out on the counter for a few hours if you’re planning to bake with it, but if you’re going to leave any butter out at room temperature for an extended period of time, make it salted. That’s because the salt in salted butter adds extra protection against any sort of bacterial growth.

The USDA recommends leaving butter out at room temperature for only a day or two. But if it’s stored in all of the proper conditions listed above, it can stay fresh for up to two weeks. So don’t leave out more than you think you’ll be able to get through in that small period of time.

If you’re unsure if your butter is OK to eat, simply give it a smell. If it’s rancid it will most definitely smell off, and if you’re willing to give it a taste, it should taste unpleasantly sour. At that point it’s time to reach for fresh butter.

From https://www.thekitchn.com/4-mistakes-to ... ure-228689
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Cheers for the Tip GG - I’ll look out for it.

Never thought any for the French butter I’ve had was better compared to Irish but it’s a personal preference thing really
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:14 pm
mik wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:03 pm Aha - didn't realise that statement only applied to unsalted. I only buy salted.
It doesn't only apply to unsalted:

It’s fine to leave unsalted butter out on the counter for a few hours if you’re planning to bake with it, but if you’re going to leave any butter out at room temperature for an extended period of time, make it salted. That’s because the salt in salted butter adds extra protection against any sort of bacterial growth.

The USDA recommends leaving butter out at room temperature for only a day or two. But if it’s stored in all of the proper conditions listed above, it can stay fresh for up to two weeks. So don’t leave out more than you think you’ll be able to get through in that small period of time.

If you’re unsure if your butter is OK to eat, simply give it a smell. If it’s rancid it will most definitely smell off, and if you’re willing to give it a taste, it should taste unpleasantly sour. At that point it’s time to reach for fresh butter.

From https://www.thekitchn.com/4-mistakes-to ... ure-228689
Bear in mind they're providing advice presumably for the entire USA, many areas of which will have higher ambient temps than we do here.

Left half a block out in the butter dish for 2 weeks whilst we were away recently. It was absolutely fine. Was probably out 3 weeks in total from start to finish.

In fact, I can't remember the last time I ever encountered rancid butter.
Last edited by Swervin_Mervin on Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

mik wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:50 am
It rarely gets too soft ime. Only when we've had temps in the high 20s have we had to consider putting it back in the fridge to regain some shape. :lol: