Perfect but Ugly

Would you buy the ugliest car ever made that was globally recognised as the greatest car ever!

Yes, straight away
38%
Yes, but only drive it incognito
No votes
No
31%
No, I won’t be able to post it on social media and women won’t find me attractive
No votes
Only if Mik can paint the tyres first
No votes
Only if it’s made out of Lego
No votes
What is ugly?
6%
I’m ugly, so it’s nice to have a car that matches
6%
I’m groot
6%
Argument please
13%

Total votes: 16

IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Perfect but Ugly

Post by IanF »

Perfect car: 500hp, 1000kg, switchable 4WD, short shift manual with automatic mode, 2+2 shape, able to fit 2 big dogs in boot (without blending them first), 100mpg..

But very, very ugly; would you buy one?
Cheers,

Ian
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Perfect but Ugly

Post by Rich B »

I’d probably be a no, as daft as it would clearly be. A big part of car ownership for me is owning something I like to look at too!
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I did something perfect but ugly this morning.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:50 am I did something perfect but ugly this morning.
im sure she doesn’t like being called that…
mik

Post by mik »

I realised some time back that it’s mostly (but not all) about the driving experience for me. The car is simply the vehicle (pun intended) to access the driving experience. I like products as opposed to brands - have zero brand loyalty. Hence I selected “yes”, but in reality… if it’s really ugly I might opt for the 2nd best car in the world that is a bit prettier. :geek:

Via the Emira / Harry’s Garage discussions, I have learned that the perfect car is a strictly 2–seater 2+2 with 4 adult sized seats, which is both wide and long but extremely compact. It should have around 600bhp from a bespoke (preferably 8 or more cylinder) IC engine, developed and manufactured by the manufacturer of the vehicle. The gearbox should have long cruising ratios whilst avoiding being high-geared or having any ratios that might be considered short. It should weigh less than a tonne and exude desirability, with a selling price of around £30k and positive residuals.

Easy.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Not a chance. It's not perfect if it's ugly. Virtually nobody bought a VX200 over an Elise because it was basically the same but uglier. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples of similar pairs of cars.
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Ugly blends in with popular road/family cars of the time, sure.
Ugly stands out like a SSangyong Rodius in a car park full of Ferrari, nope.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I reckon it’s why the Alpine never really sold well despite being a great car. It doesn’t even look ugly it’s just awkward inside and out.
I saw this thread then was browsing twitter and thought this car fitted the description
https://x.com/roberto93w/status/1691175 ... PRz7S-WsdA
£3 million and it looks thoroughly underwhelming.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:28 am I reckon it’s why the Alpine never really sold well despite being a great car. It doesn’t even look ugly it’s just awkward inside and out.
I saw this thread then was browsing twitter and thought this car fitted the description
https://x.com/roberto93w/status/1691175 ... PRz7S-WsdA
£3 million and it looks thoroughly underwhelming.
The fan car looks are a great example - it's just dull - for all the pioneering use of carbon fibre in their past, they've not taken any advantage whatsoever of what the material can do and just made a dull jelly mound that could easily be made of fibre glass by an amateur.

The alpine is a great looking thing though!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:35 am

The alpine is a great looking thing though!
Yep
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Your perfect isn't my perfect. But I'd struggle to put money on something that wasn't at least somewhat pleasing to the eye.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Yeah I’d have it
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I’d have to like how it looked to spend money on it no matter how good it was.

It wouldn’t matter if other people didn’t like it or it wasn’t thought of as good looking. I quite like slightly challenging of unusual proportions. An e36 compact is hardly a good looking of pretty car but there’s something about them I like.

I kind of get what Chris is saying, not to dismiss it just because of its looks, but why can’t it be the last of its kind, a great drivers car AND good looking. Why do we have to excuse it looking like a dogs dinner because it drives nicely?

I’m afraid I’d take a slightly worse driving but far better looking car every time.
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Also you can always improve the mechanical aspects of a car and make it drive better to suit you more. It's much more difficult to change the way a car looks.
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:48 pm Your perfect isn't my perfect.
Very much that: You won’t find a single NCG who thinks the Integrale Evo looks attractive. Despite the truth that it looks fucking epic.

Beany

Post by Beany »

It would depend on the definition of ugly, as others have suggested. And also whether you find it ugly.

Look at something like a Metro 6R4 - most normal people think it's ugly, I think it's brutish and oddly purposeful. I'd have one tomorrow and wouldn't care what anyone else thinks.

I'm not sure I'd be that interested in an M4 or most recent large fast BMWs etc though. I find those to be ugly (I'm sure others think they look purposeful, even if they are objectively incorrect in their opinion ;) ) and I'd not have one tomorrow, regardless of what anyone else thinks.