Networking

Holley

Networking

Post by Holley »

Does anyone do this for work?

Just finished doing 2 years networking at a local BNI group. Never heard of it before going and only started because a friend kept inviting me.

I found it hard because I'm quite introvert and get social anxiety around large groups. Having to stand up and do public speaking literally gave me spasms in my back and leg shakes (although this did calm down over time).

Also found BNI to be a bit 'cult' like in terms of following a strict system that I didn't really agree with (not really interested in 'hitting target' and having to listen to the same spiel every week). I just kept my mouth shut and didn't pay a lot of attention to the rules.

Plus the 5am starts to get there for 630am was annoying.

But to be fair I did do pretty well out of it in terms of business and only stopped as the group numbers dropped.

Part of me is enjoying not having to go, the other part liked the extra business.

Interested to know of any other groups you go to and whether it works for you?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Networking

Post by Jobbo »

I was shunted into doing BNI at a previous job. I managed to make sure a colleague was the designated member; I just stood in for him once a month or so. While I wasn't particularly keen on getting up and promoting the business, it became easier and easier to the point where I stopped preparing and just did it off the cuff each time.

For a firm of solicitors though, it's pretty slim pickings. It seems good for the florists and printers of this world but not so much for professions where it's not just about the number of referrals you have; you need a relationship with the client in my line of work so you understand what advice is valuable to them. You aren't going to get many of the printers and florists selling your services. Might work for a high street solicitor doing lots of wills and conveyancing.

The people who do make good money out of BNI are, of course, the people who run the BNI organisation. It's a bit multi-level marketing in that sense. I think some BNI groups are more cult-ish than others; I was quite lucky though clearly some members of mine were devotees.

I've been to other networking events which were specific to, for example, licensing (gaming, pubs, restaurants, events etc) and they've been better because there hasn't been a format. But I'm glad I went to BNI purely because I know what I want to get out of any networking. It's not just a drawer full of business cards for people you wouldn't recognise if you saw them again. My overall feeling is that these sort of things are pretty shallow though, and you're not likely to create a long business relationship from them except by chance; they're about doing the numbers to increase that chance.
Holley

Post by Holley »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:01 pm I was shunted into doing BNI at a previous job. I managed to make sure a colleague was the designated member; I just stood in for him once a month or so. While I wasn't particularly keen on getting up and promoting the business, it became easier and easier to the point where I stopped preparing and just did it off the cuff each time.

For a firm of solicitors though, it's pretty slim pickings. It seems good for the florists and printers of this world but not so much for professions where it's not just about the number of referrals you have; you need a relationship with the client in my line of work so you understand what advice is valuable to them. You aren't going to get many of the printers and florists selling your services. Might work for a high street solicitor doing lots of wills and conveyancing.

The people who do make good money out of BNI are, of course, the people who run the BNI organisation. It's a bit multi-level marketing in that sense. I think some BNI groups are more cult-ish than others; I was quite lucky though clearly some members of mine were devotees.

I've been to other networking events which were specific to, for example, licensing (gaming, pubs, restaurants, events etc) and they've been better because there hasn't been a format. But I'm glad I went to BNI purely because I know what I want to get out of any networking. It's not just a drawer full of business cards for people you wouldn't recognise if you saw them again. My overall feeling is that these sort of things are pretty shallow though, and you're not likely to create a long business relationship from them except by chance; they're about doing the numbers to increase that chance.
BNI did seem to be occupation specific as to who did well. I would say that I'm an easy referral, but my daughter who goes to another group has been less successful (could just be timing, group members etc).

You're right in that meeting the right people makes the difference. I was fortunate that I got on really well with the accountant and financial adviser in the group and in turn they recommended me a lot.

Interesting that there are groups that are more industry specific. Will have to look at that.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Went to BNI for a while back in 2009. As mentioned by @jobbo, it seemed to be great for the accountants and business card printers, however for us it really didn't work.

As for networking as practice of creating a wider network of connections, I do a fair amount of it. That involves reaching out to people online, accepting others who do the same to me, and actively making a point of introducing myself to people IRL at events. Overall, it's a very slow process. At the same time, I quoted a <£12k piece of freelance work to an organisation whose head of corporate affairs I made a point of grabbing after an event a couple of weeks ago.

It's just one facet of sales work, therefore fairly integral for many businesspeople or entrepreneurs. The key is to working out what events are worth attending, for example, there's no point me networking at a University event, however, I will try and wheedle my way into business/corporate events or invitation-only things, as that's where 'my people' are at.
Holley

Post by Holley »

Gavster wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:58 pm Went to BNI for a while back in 2009. As mentioned by @jobbo, it seemed to be great for the accountants and business card printers, however for us it really didn't work.

As for networking as practice of creating a wider network of connections, I do a fair amount of it. That involves reaching out to people online, accepting others who do the same to me, and actively making a point of introducing myself to people IRL at events. Overall, it's a very slow process. At the same time, I quoted a <£12k piece of freelance work to an organisation whose head of corporate affairs I made a point of grabbing after an event a couple of weeks ago.

It's just one facet of sales work, therefore fairly integral for many businesspeople or entrepreneurs. The key is to working out what events are worth attending, for example, there's no point me networking at a University event, however, I will try and wheedle my way into business/corporate events or invitation-only things, as that's where 'my people' are at.
I have been invited to events, but those where mainly B to B and so have avoided them.

The financial adviser I get on with wants to start an 'open doors' group with me. I did attend one meeting to see what it's like, but just seemed like a more expensive BNI. Have you any experience of open doors?
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Never even heard of open doors events. My work is solely B2B which sounds different to your work too.

If you're actively looking to do sales/networking, then it's often about thinking differently around where your clients are going to be and then striking up conversations. One of the best examples was a client I had over a decade ago. They made rechargeable batteries and wanted to promote themselves, so they took an exhibition stand at the UK's biggest sex toy exhibition. Worked perfectly.
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

I came here for cables and ethernet ports... :oops:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Back when I was younger and would talk the leg off a chair, I used to excel at the sort of idle business chit chat you'd need to engage in at trade shows and events. Never attended a formal Business Networking Event though to be fair.

However, as I've got older and more Ron Swanson in my ways, I don't like, nor need to do it at all.

"Discuss the best working practices for managing multiplier suppliers with differing development methodologies ? I'm only here drink coffee, eat danish pastries and to fulfill a contractual obligation- thank you and good day. I SAID, Thank you and Good Day !!!!"

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

KiwiDave wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:33 am I came here for cables and ethernet ports... :oops:

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I hate networking and speaking to people, which is unfortunate as a lot of my job is meeting with reps from shipping carriers :lol:
An absolute unit