City breaks?

Zonda_

City breaks?

Post by Zonda_ »

Planning on taking a Friday and Monday off and having a city break somewhere. I was thinking Prague, any other recommendations? I like looking at historical stuff, museums and such.
DaveE

Re: City breaks?

Post by DaveE »

Zonda_ wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:10 pm Planning on taking a Friday and Monday off and having a city break somewhere. I was thinking Prague, any other recommendations? I like looking at historical stuff, museums and such.
Berlin
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Edinburgh if staying in UK.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Already going to Edinburgh next month, thinking of somewhere further afield
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Amsterdam. Small enough to do plenty in a weekend and lots of art, museums, Anne Frank etc
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Yes it’s between Amsterdam and Prague I think, I’ve been to Amsterdam but never for more than a day after visiting my grandfathers grave so it’d be nice to spend more time there.
mik

Post by mik »

Prague is great. We paid extra for that trip to get “exec” rooms which gave us access to the “Exec Lounge” - the drinks and food we consumed there greatly outweighed the extra cost of the rooms, so worth considering.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Who did you book that with?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Krakow. Auschwitz not for everyone, but produces some strange emotions- incredibly humbling, an extremely impressive display of German efficiency but with completely disgusting and despicable subject matter. The salt mines are worth going to as well, especially if you’ve been to any uk mining museums, as the way the workers were treat is night and day compared to there.

And perogi dumplings are amazing. As are the Obwarzanek- bagel type bread unique to krakow and sold everywhere from little stands in the street
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Budapest is quite something. Copenhagen and Stockholm always fantastic (I profess significant bias), Chartres was lovely and something a bit different.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

jamcg wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:57 pm Krakow. Auschwitz not for everyone, but produces some strange emotions- incredibly humbling, an extremely impressive display of German efficiency but with completely disgusting and despicable subject matter. The salt mines are worth going to as well, especially if you’ve been to any uk mining museums, as the way the workers were treat is night and day compared to there.

And perogi dumplings are amazing. As are the Obwarzanek- bagel type bread unique to krakow and sold everywhere from little stands in the street
I was also going to suggest somewhere in Poland, I really liked it when we drove through it on the way to Ukraine border last year. We stayed one night in Krakow on the way to Przemysl. Anywhere in Poland is good if you like hearty food, good bread and beer. The Golonka (pork knuckle) was also awesome.

Another thing that's great fun is to go to any city that you've never heard of. Once you get away from the big-hitter tourist cities like Paris, Amsterdam, Barcelona etc then you'll begin to find places where the locals aren't a) bored of tourists or b) trying to capitalise from tourists. For instance, when I went to Netherlands, I went to Breda instead of Amsterdam.

Also Turin was great fun last year, it's a very beautiful city.
mik

Post by mik »

Zonda_ wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:17 pm Who did you book that with?
Can’t recall - Mrs mik would have booked it, and probably went direct to the hotel. Even if you book with someone else (booking.Connor whatevah) - worth calling to hotel to check if they do it?
Wilspeed

Post by Wilspeed »

Budapest is fantastic, indeed.
Cunt.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I need some tips for a New York City break over Christmas - will anything actually be open on Christmas Day, e.g. somewhere to eat? Any recommendations? (appreciate that's a bit niche)
Left over crest; tightens.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Zonda_ wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:05 pm Yes it’s between Amsterdam and Prague I think, I’ve been to Amsterdam but never for more than a day after visiting my grandfathers grave so it’d be nice to spend more time there.
I lived there for a couple of years. If you end up going let me know if you want some info.

Budapest is our next weekend away. I know nothing about the place other than good reviews.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Antwerp is lovely
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

JonMad wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:12 pm I need some tips for a New York City break over Christmas - will anything actually be open on Christmas Day, e.g. somewhere to eat? Any recommendations? (appreciate that's a bit niche)
Oooohhhh, I spent six weeks in NYC of xmas/nye 2019-20. There's loads to do in NYC around xmas so you won't have a shortage of ice rinks, xmas markets and general festive spirit. There was a light show called the winter lantern show on Staten Island which was pretty cool, especially because you need to get the staten island ferry past the statue of liberty to get there, which is cool in itself. I think the beers were cheap on the ferry too. I've no idea about open restaurants on xmas day, we grabbed a lobster from a store and I made a load of gravadlax and we had a seafood inspired xmas day. Then drank champagne on the roof of the apartment building we were in.

There's also Santacon which takes place in earlier December, if you're there, where thousands of people dress up as santa and then maraude around town on a massive bar crawl. It's a totally marmite event, with thousands of people loving it, while thousands absolutely detest it. Some bars will actually ban santa costumes around that time of year.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

240PP wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:52 pm
Zonda_ wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:05 pm Yes it’s between Amsterdam and Prague I think, I’ve been to Amsterdam but never for more than a day after visiting my grandfathers grave so it’d be nice to spend more time there.
I lived there for a couple of years. If you end up going let me know if you want some info.

Budapest is our next weekend away. I know nothing about the place other than good reviews.
Thanks.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Marrakech
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Broccers wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:04 pmMarrakech
Do you hate him that much :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?