Wireless key security?

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Wireless key security?

Post by Gavin »

Afternoon all, just picked up the new car today and it has a button and keyless go.

Was going to buy shielding pouch or similar but when I went to order one it just said it was thick cotton and leather which made me wonder whether the spare, which is in a wooden drawer in a wooden table, would be safe as is?

It also makes me wonder whether a simple wooden box would be adequate to stop any dodgy code grabbing?

(given recent events, I am keen not to repeat!)

Cheers
Alex88

Re: Wireless key security?

Post by Alex88 »

A proper faraday pouch should have metal liners, not cotton and leather. That won't block the signal, and neither will keeping it in a drawer/box.

Sounds like the one you went to order was just a wallet type thing?

You can get a decent faraday pouch from Halfords for about a tenner.
Last edited by Alex88 on Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Thank you! Will head there now!
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I bought these ones, two for a fiver and they do block the signal as claimed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I turned off the keyless access for my car before I drove it away from the dealership.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I have two of these pouches, one for each key

It's become habit that as soon as I get home, the key goes in one

We also make sure we take the pouch away with us when we're away from home so we can do this while away
Barry

Post by Barry »

As above, I use a pouch for the main key and a box for spares. Strangely, the BMW bike key wasn't blocked by the pouch, but it's locked with physical security anyway.
GG.

Post by GG. »

The one thing to beware of is that over time the foil in the pouches can degrade and let the signal through so i would also invest in a faraday box for home. That said the ones for the Range Rover I have are 18 months old and still work perfectly.

As previously mentioned though, you need to get a no tag no start immobiliser, ideally one you can disable from a phone so even if they take your keys they can't start it.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

GG. wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:06 pm
As previously mentioned though, you need to get a no tag no start immobiliser, ideally one you can disable from a phone so even if they take your keys they can't start it.
Do you have recommendation for something like this?
GG.

Post by GG. »

I do - Metatrak S5 Deadlock - but the remote immobiliser (what they term the "deadlock") is out of stock for the time being and has been for some weeks. Other option is the Metatrak S5 tracker and a seperate immobiliser such as a ghost but less efficient having to install two bits of kit.

In addition - whatever you get - make sure you have the option to turn the proximity fob off and operate it on a button push or via your phone only as otherwise they can be boosted or bypassed if you're sat too close to your car (e.g. it is on the drive in front of your lounge). Equally if you install a ghost make sure you do not link it to your phone by bluetooth as that has the same issue of unlocking it whilst you're in your house (and worse in reality as bluetooth operates over a much larger range than the low power RF used by proximity fobs).
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

GG. wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:45 pm I do - Metatrak S5 Deadlock - but the remote immobiliser (what they term the "deadlock") is out of stock for the time being and has been for some weeks. Other option is the Metatrak S5 tracker and a seperate immobiliser such as a ghost but less efficient having to install two bits of kit.

In addition - whatever you get - make sure you have the option to turn the proximity fob off and operate it on a button push or via your phone only as otherwise they can be boosted or bypassed if you're sat too close to your car (e.g. it is on the drive in front of your lounge). Equally if you install a ghost make sure you do not link it to your phone by bluetooth as that has the same issue of unlocking it whilst you're in your house (and worse in reality as bluetooth operates over a much larger range than the low power RF used by proximity fobs).
Thank you, I'll look into these
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Well I have a box and both keys are in it. Good point about taking one away when we are away, Halfords had pouches for a fiver so will try one.

You would imagine they would have to work for passing trading standards.

You have to physically unlock and lock the car wit the fob now which is great.

Cannot get android play to stay on though, it connects then disconnects. Would Bluetooth be interfering?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

What car is it for? It’s worth a look in the handbook to see if you can deactivate the keyless overnight? VAG products you can lock with the button on the key and immediately press the keyless touch pad/button and it stops the car looking for the wireless signal
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Skoda Superb, it doesn't open unless I press the button so I suspect the setting have been adjusted to those you are suggesting.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Both keys are hung up about 6 feet from the front door.

If someone wants to steal the Finance Companies possession then good luck to them, the Insurance Company will cover all costs and I’ll borrow another asset from another Finance company for a defined period
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

What sort of range does the equipment thrive use have? My car is parked at the front of the house and the keys are always at the back of the house?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’m a weirdo and I keep my important crap that I mustn’t misplace in my bedside table!
How about not having a sig at all?
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:11 pm I’m a weirdo and I keep my important crap that I mustn’t misplace in my bedside table!
Well yes, the bedrooms are at the back of the house and my car keys are always kept in the bedroom.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I used to keep my keys in the bedroom but after Exiges C63 experience, I now leave them where they can easily be found
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Simon

Post by Simon »

On my Merc you can press the lock button on the remote twice and it disables the 'wireless entry'. Plus the 'start' button is actually just a removable thing that goes in the normal ignition switch, so if you really want to 'disable' it all you can just take that out.
The artist formerly known as _Who_