Insurance payout negotiations

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Insurance payout negotiations

Post by Gavin »

Afternoon brain trust.

So the TTS paid out over what we had paid but around market value. I have an appointment for a phone call with an engineer tomorrow so have been looking on autotrader for similar cars so I don't end up lowballed.

I can find a few at £20.5 with similar miles and sat bav and winter pack but mine had pretoria alloys and the black pack which seemed to be desirable options. Anyone got a clue how one would value those options as I know the lady my wife spoke with said her algorithm could cope with a different year of car but could adjust for mileage.
Carlos

Re: Insurance payout negotiations

Post by Carlos »

You need comparables or evidence that cars with those options are worth more.

I doubt Glass', Cap etc will adjust for them so you need to present real world examples.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

https://usedcars.volkswagen.co.uk/en/us ... et-jqc8krz

https://usedcars.volkswagen.co.uk/en/us ... sg-hmc9tqc

Yes the first one has a sunroof, but it also has your alloys and the black pack, about 2k difference despite it being a year older
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Cheers, Mine was a 2016 so searched 2016 and 2017 for late MK7. Not one I could find had prets annoyingly, Thanks @jamcg for those two.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

They can be real arseholes on valuations.
When the TVR got a minor bump, the insurance didn't want to know about repairs and moved straight to discussing write offs.
Despite me presenting evidence of 6-7 currently for sale around the £30k mark, and having professional valuations of £28k and £28.5k, they offered £18k and flat refused to move.
I took it to the ombudsman and he instructed £25.5k, which was a lot closer to the true value. I wasn't going to moan too hard, because we did it as a cash settlement (so no official write-off) and the damage actually cost me about £1.5k to have fixed.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Well I was supposed to be phone today at 2pm, no call so on hold trying to get through. 11 bloody days after the robbery. Would not go with Darwin Insurance again!