Getting old.

seb

Re: Getting old.

Post by seb »

mik wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:05 am How long can you drive the converted sprinter with your eyes closed?
Ages! I've swapped the front bench seats out for two captains chairs with swivels, so it's trivial to walk into the back, climb into the bed and snooze for a bit. A couple of bungies to hold the steering wheel straight and I don't even need Jesus 👍
Barry

Post by Barry »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:20 am All these people in their 40s and 30s complaining about getting old :lol:
:D

Don't know they're born these kids eh.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

I started typing a reply, quite a long one, but once I'd got into it I forgot why I'd gone there.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:22 am
mik wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:05 am How long can you drive the converted sprinter with your eyes closed?
Mik asking the important question.
Was a badger alleged to be involved in this incident, or have I misremembered and that's Dom?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Welcome back @seb!
seb

Post by seb »

speedingfine wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:43 am Was a badger alleged to be involved in this incident, or have I misremembered and that's Dom?
Separate incident. I LOO'd a 205 into a ditch and blamed it on animal avoidance, and then many years later fessed up that I'd been young, foolish, embarrassed, and there had been no such critter. The folly of youth eh - not sure which was dafter, the lie, or the unnecessary fessing up 🤣
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

seb wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:53 pm
speedingfine wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:43 am Was a badger alleged to be involved in this incident, or have I misremembered and that's Dom?
Separate incident. I LOO'd a 205 into a ditch and blamed it on animal avoidance, and then many years later fessed up that I'd been young, foolish, embarrassed, and there had been no such critter. The folly of youth eh - not sure which was dafter, the lie, or the unnecessary fessing up 🤣
Welcome back :mrgreen:
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Sprained my right ankle last week, leg went a lovely shave of purple. Last night got horrendous cramp in my right calf and couldn’t stretch it out because my ankle won’t move in the direction needed very well. Love my body :lol:
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Well I did a first proper ultra training run, only 11 miles, but trails, some inclines and a lot of mud. I have reduced catrilidge in my right hip and it is most dipleased with me being such a dick.

I have been advised a strip of K tape will help so will try that, just need to build up as much muscle around the hip which will help so plenty of running and cycling. May even get some basic yoga moves as that will improve all sorts.

The idea of a clubbing now, yeurch, I barely enjoyed it in my early 20s!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Go swimming Gavin, it's about as low impact a way to build muscle as you can get. It's what the physio always recommends for my shoulder
An absolute unit
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

jamcg wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:57 am Sprained my right ankle last week, leg went a lovely shave of purple. Last night got horrendous cramp in my right calf and couldn’t stretch it out because my ankle won’t move in the direction needed very well. Love my body :lol:
I fell down some steps and went over on my ankle about a month ago. It's only just getting back to normal now and my whole foot bruised for about a week. Welcome to my 40s I guess :lol:
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I met up with Munki on Saturday and we ended up chatting for ages in the car park before heading our separate ways. He said to me that he doesn't really feel like he's any older than he did when he was 15 and I agreed, but pointed out that if there were any 20-somethings walking past they'd just see two old men talking about old men things. :lol:
Barry

Post by Barry »

I hit diesel on my bike on early September, front washed out and I slammed my right leg down to catch it. It hurt but I stayed upright thankfully and continued to work. Sore back for a few weeks, rode to South of France and back with it, then a weekend up Kielder on the bike, then early Nov I start getting severe leg pains and back ache. Saw physio and she informed me it's likely slipped disc/sciatica. Several weeks and visits to physio and no improvement. Just managed to see the GP again and got some anti inflammatory meds, and he's booking me a scan.

Turns out that when you're fifty you can't just ignore issues and hope they'll go away 😆
Beany

Post by Beany »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:28 am I met up with Munki on Saturday and we ended up chatting for ages in the car park before heading our separate ways. He said to me that he doesn't really feel like he's any older than he did when he was 15 and I agreed, but pointed out that if there were any 20-somethings walking past they'd just see two old men talking about old men things. :lol:
I don't feel any older than I was when I was 15, right up until a few hours after exerting myself, at which point my Everything starts hurting.

Right up until that point, it's fine.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

I still feel like I'm in my late 20's - it's only occasionally I remember I'm 55. Still doing judo (although not actively competing at the moment, I might have a punt at the British Masters next year for a giggle) and having a PT session every week, so I'm not in too bad a shape.

It's weird being the same age as old people, but growing old certainly beats the crap out of the alternative! Had another old school friend die last week (he had MS and died on his 56th birthday) which brings the total in the last 2 years to 4.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Beany wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:49 am
Jobbo wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:28 am I met up with Munki on Saturday and we ended up chatting for ages in the car park before heading our separate ways. He said to me that he doesn't really feel like he's any older than he did when he was 15 and I agreed, but pointed out that if there were any 20-somethings walking past they'd just see two old men talking about old men things. :lol:
I don't feel any older than I was when I was 15, right up until a few hours after exerting myself, at which point my Everything starts hurting.

Right up until that point, it's fine.
Yeah, I think he was referring to in his brain rather than physically :lol:
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:15 am Go swimming Gavin, it's about as low impact a way to build muscle as you can get. It's what the physio always recommends for my shoulder
On the flip side of that, cycling is the best cross-training for supporting or improving running performance, while swimming is the worst.