Getting old.

McSwede

Getting old.

Post by McSwede »

Just had a couple of cheeky nights in Ibiza and ended up partying like I did 25 years ago. Went to Hi Ibiza (Space) which was awesome, danced, had fun, and am now absolutely shagged. Getting older sucks! 😂
jamcg

Re: Getting old.

Post by jamcg »

15 years ago I could crawl around all over in my job and not think twice about it. Now I do the same stuff and can’t walk the next day :lol:

Knees are fucked, back is fucked, shoulders are fucked.

Be a plumber they said, it’ll be fun they said :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Plasterers have to retire by 40, I hear. Surprised they aren’t more expensive than they already are.

I don’t mind getting older and going at life at a less frenetic pace, I must say. Means you can take time to savour everything 😄
Beany

Post by Beany »

jamcg wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:56 am 15 years ago I could crawl around all over in my job and not think twice about it. Now I do the same stuff and can’t walk the next day :lol:

Knees are fucked, back is fucked, shoulders are fucked.

Be a plumber they said, it’ll be fun they said :lol:
I've said before, when I do work on the car, I get all excited and throw myself around like my mental age feels - about 21. Crawling about, throwing myself on the ground before crawling under things.

Then the next day I wake up covered in bruises with tweeked muscles and aching joints :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It’s odd, I can run and go to the gym and I’ll be sore for a few hours but nothing messes me up like rolling around the floor working on cars or something if that nature. It’s a different kind of ass kicking which does hurt for a good 24 hours!
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

I've thought about getting a thick yoga mat for working on the car. Christ that's a horrific thing to admit...
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

McSwede wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:53 am Just had a couple of cheeky nights in Ibiza and ended up partying like I did 25 years ago. Went to Hi Ibiza (Space) which was awesome, danced, had fun, and am now absolutely shagged. Getting older sucks! 😂
To be fair I'm sure you knew it'd absolutely hammer you, so well done for having the balls to suck that up and go for it :lol:
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Beany wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:11 pm I've thought about getting a thick yoga mat for working on the car. Christ that's a horrific thing to admit...
On old rug or bit of carpet will do the trick. Old floor mats from the car are good for kneeling.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Listen to your favourite music very loudly. That's the cure!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Post by mik »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:27 pm
Beany wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:11 pm I've thought about getting a thick yoga mat for working on the car. Christ that's a horrific thing to admit...
On old rug or bit of carpet will do the trick. Old floor mats from the car are good for kneeling.
Cardboard boxes are good too.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Yoga mat or camping roll mat would be fine. I’ve got a heavy duty 4ftx2ft foam pad I have used for years. Only use that because it’s flame resistant which is handy.

If anything it’s a bit too thick and a bit too hard to be comfortable, but it’s a damn site better than laying directly on the gravel.

If you’ve got a hard dry surface then yep, a flattened cardboard box is as good as anything tbh.
Cheers, Harry
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Gavster wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:10 pm
McSwede wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:53 am Just had a couple of cheeky nights in Ibiza and ended up partying like I did 25 years ago. Went to Hi Ibiza (Space) which was awesome, danced, had fun, and am now absolutely shagged. Getting older sucks! 😂
To be fair I'm sure you knew it'd absolutely hammer you, so well done for having the balls to suck that up and go for it :lol:
I did, but fuck it. Couldn't be in Ibiza and not go to a big club. One of the sets was a chap called Patrick Mason and it was awesome. A bit harder than I'd usually listen to but properly banging. Got 2hrs sleep and flew home 😂

A much different vibe compared to the 90's but I had a blast.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I used to have upstairs Ibuprofen, downstairs Ibuprofen, car Ibuprofen, golf bag Ibuprofen and saddlebag Ibuprofen

But now I need Ramapril for my blood pressure for the rest of my life…

So I know have upstairs, downstairs, car, golf bag and saddlebag paracetamol… it’s just not the same.

Getting old fucking sucks
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I turned 49 on Friday and gifted myself a hernia :(
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Physio is a big help, I have a wonderful polish lady who asks if stuff hurts, then makes it hurt much more. Somehow it’s more sinister in that soft polish accent :lol:

Building strength keeps you young but being flexible is more important.

Dave!
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

It does very much become use it or loose it as you age, if I have a week off work and don’t do much I get pain issues that go away as I start moving about
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Zonda_ wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:07 pm I turned 49 on Friday and gifted myself a hernia :(
BHBYHOC.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

nuttinnew wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:57 pm
Zonda_ wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:07 pm I turned 49 on Friday and gifted myself a hernia :(
BHBYHOC.
This. Also, you suck at getting gifts for yourself. GWS.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

HBYOC. FWIW I was born with a hernia, good to get it out of the way early :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

jamcg wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:43 pm It does very much become use it or loose it as you age, if I have a week off work and don’t do much I get pain issues that go away as I start moving about
That's very true. There's also good evidence that muscle density is really important for healthy ageing, while it's also harder to build muscle density as you get older. That's why I started lifting weights last year, as a pre-emptive strike to get some more beef on this runner's body. It's definitely helped with all kinds of aches and pains.