That sinking feeling

mik

Re: That sinking feeling

Post by mik »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:06 am
mik wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:44 am
duncs500 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:28 am I don't know what level of accuracy you need or if you have another pair of hands to help. A rotating laser level will probably be fine if you're on your own. It seems like it's all people use on site nowadays anyway, in my day we used to do it properly with an optical level. :roll:

Can hire it for not much money I'd have thought.
Less than £100 for a little self-leveling DeWalt job non?

edit: Yes. Accurate to +/- 0.3mm at 10m

https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-dw08 ... vel/p98428
How would that work in my original application? In the video it’s being used to project on a pre-existing wall. In my case it would be projecting a laser in the air which wouldn’t be visible.
You need to insert a stick into the ground that you can project the laser onto. Then you take a piece of string from that stick to your foundation foot thing, and use one of those string levels to set the line, on which you balance one end of a 1m long, reassuringly expensive Stabila spirit level. Balance the other end on a clear rubber-pipe water level, and Robert is your mother's brother.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:04 am All that said, I'm just telling you the right and professional way. Is it necessary in this application? I don't know what tolerances Mito has in the structure that's going to sit on it... might not matter if it's a bit out of plumb (or you might be able to use packing and a spirit level if the bases are out).
Video is helpful, I'm crap at visualising things so needed that :lol:

It's a green larch framed structure so it will shrink and warp a significant amount as it all air dries together, and the sawmill isn't the most accurate thing as it's rough cut and not planed but still, would have been nice if I at least got one bit of it level :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Viz Top Tip...

Don't waste your money on expensive levels - simply tilt your head when looking at it until it appears level.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:29 pm Viz Top Tip...

Don't waste your money on expensive levels - simply tilt your head when looking at it until it appears level.
Reminds me of when I fitted a curtain rail in our previous newbuild house. Wife not happy that "it's not level!". It was level but the window wasn't :lol:
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:26 pm

Reminds me of when I fitted a curtain rail in our previous newbuild house. Wife not happy that "it's not level!". It was level but the window wasn't :lol:
You’d be amazed how many times I have this argument with radiators and window sills. Many times I’ve had to unlevel my newly mounted rads to match the wonky as hell window
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

jamcg wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:31 pm

You’d be amazed how many times I have this argument with radiators and window sills. Many times I’ve had to unlevel my newly mounted rads to match the wonky as hell window
All my homes have been Victorian conversions and this has always stumped me. The engineer part of me has an allergic reaction to installing things wonky, however none of my homes have been level. In my first home I reinstalled the radiator level and then it forever bugged me that the skirting board looked wonky in comparison.
mik

Post by mik »

Gavster wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:20 am
All my homes have been Victorian conversions and this has always stumped me. The engineer part of me has an allergic reaction to installing things wonky, however none of my homes have been level. In my first home I reinstalled the radiator level and then it forever bugged me that the skirting board looked wonky in comparison.
First DIY tiling job I ever did was in a large tenement flat in Glasgow. Build date circa 1900. Was starting to tear my hair out until I realised that - in addition to a slight run on the worktop as the floor was nowhere near level (and I think they'd run out of adjustment range on the feet of the base units) the wall actually had a curve - increasing in severity towards the window. That was fun.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

jamcg wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:31 pm

I can well imagine It's now my first question to the wife when doing anything like this - do you want me to do this properly or do you want me to make it so it looks right? :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Well, it’s been over 2 months and I’ve made no progress on the actual building. Was hoping to have my version of The Crooked House done this year but that’s not happening.

Was a few posts short of a building so needed another tree, found a nice one which had the top 1/4 of it snapped off so it would have eventually died anyway. It was in an awkward spot, leaning to the right which had a fence out of shot, and a tree directly in front of where I wanted it which it would probably get hung up on so I winched it to be safe.

Fucking love this car :lol:

Maybe I can get this lot milled up this weekend and then finally start working on my erection.
mik

Post by mik »

You have wood
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Loving this Mito...

You get to do all the sorts of stuff you see on those Alaska Homesteading type programs but in leafy Sussex, Surrey, Kent (delete as appropriate) without the threat of bears... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:30 am Loving this Mito...

You get to do all the sorts of stuff you see on those Alaska Homesteading type programs but in leafy Sussex, Surrey, Kent (delete as appropriate) without the threat of bears... :lol:
In the garden of England ;)

When I was younger I always thought I'd end up doing this in Northern Sweden eventually - brown bears, wolves, moose, hard winters - I love all that.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Yeah me too - well not the bears bit... :o

A friend emigrated to rural Canada when I was 19 and it always appealed. However, I jumped on the College, work, mortgage bandwagon and here I am, 30 years later.

It's not too late for you...
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I think you get to a point where you're too invested in a place to move and I feel like I hit that point a few years ago. I keep joking that if this country continues down the authoritarian path (bit of an extreme term, but you know what I mean) then I will up sticks but Europe, America, Canada etc are no better in that regard. And I don't wish to move to South America or East Asia just yet :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:02 pm And I don't wish to move to South America or East Asia just yet :lol:
Nah, too humid for me...
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

*cough* New Zealand */cough*
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

They don’t want anyone going there mate…

They’re worse than us!! :lol:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:14 am They don’t want anyone going there mate…

They’re worse than us!! :lol:
They're always hassling me to go there! Having a leaving do Sat for a mate who's moving to NZ in a few weeks. Bastards. Coming over here taking all our good Irishmen.:lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

:lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I haven’t flown a drone since all those flying rules and CAA stuff was implemented. Now I have a 249g one which is light enough to not need any registration and faffing about.
Took a picture of the build site
What’s more interesting is that some tree crown separation can be seen in the Japanese Larch :geek:
https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/crown-s ... 20species.