Re: Daan Saaf OV9 Meet

Post by DaveE »

Sounds like I missed out on a great day

Will hopefully make another 'South' meet at some future date date though
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:12 pm
That 535 was the surprise for me, I saw it execute some driving manoeuvres that I would never have expected!
That's probably down to the loose nut behind the wheel! :lol:

The highlights for me were:

Graham's 911 being shouty.
Dunc's Elise being tiny and being very, very shouty.
Jobbo's fake exhausts and a phenomenal amount of shove.
Jon being right there with us and when I was following, not holding me up. The man can drive, even if he's disgustingly tall.
Will's Tesla's interior being like an Ikea showroom in a good way and being much higher quality than I was lead to believe.

The day started out with Jobbo and I rendezvousing a bridge over the A417. Unfortunately, we were on different bridges but that's a minor technicality. :lol:

The trip down was smooth and included spotting a yellow R32 skyline and a white Phantom on the other side of the motorway. I'd forgotten that the car park was so rough and half expected Dunc's Elise to need a snorkle. At the last meet I was in the Mini One Clubman with a slipping clutch. The BMW is significantly faster but the extra weight is apparent on bumpy roads and tight corners. What did surprise me is how I could stay with the Porsche and Elise through the corners. I do like to feel the G's in corners, though. On the last fast blast of the day, I had to sit in the middle of the road as I was being flung around buy the crappy road edges.

The best thing about being in a stealthy car was listening to a teenager check out the 911 and then the Lotus and hearing him say "what the fuck!" :lol:

Oh, and point of order, my car only has one Garrett GT2260V turbo. The twin turbos came in with the facelift. There wasn't much increase in power but better response.

I'm looking forward to the next tour.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:17 am Oh, and point of order, my car only has one Garrett GT2260V turbo. The twin turbos came in with the facelift. There wasn't much increase in power but better response.
I thought yours had two turbos and the later ones were branded 'Twin Charged' but have one turbo with variable vanes?

Should probably mention the oddity which is my car's turbo/s; it only has one turbocharger, bigger than the standard 286bhp 50TDI engine, but it also has an electrically powered small charger for quick response which runs off the 48V system and is effectively an electric supercharger. Works, anyway :lol:
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I didn't know so thought I had better check. According to wiki, my car has the M57D30TÜ TOP engine and the twin turbots only came in in 2007 with the M57D30TÜ2 TOP.

Critical information there for anyone wanting an old diesel barge but insisting on two turbots! 😂
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I don't think Wikipedia is correct on this. Every mag review described the 535d as a twin turbo from launch in 2004 - here's Autocar for instance: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/bm ... mw-535d-se
mik

Post by mik »

At this rate @Jimmy Choo is going to have to actually open his bonnet and count all turbos present, using a combination of fingers, and own eyes. :shock:

And @Jobbo won't accept an opposing outcome without pictures.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I was under the impression that both petrol and diesels went from twin discrete turbos (be that sequential or one per three cyls or whatever), to twin scroll (variable vane, whatever) later in their life?
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Beany wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:07 pm I was under the impression that both petrol and diesels went from twin discrete turbos (be that sequential or one per three cyls or whatever), to twin scroll (variable vane, whatever) later in their life?
Petrol one did.. maybe the diseasel didn’t?
Cheers,

Ian
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Diesels went to the monster 4 turbo 50d for a few years before succumbing to emissions - I’d really like to drive one of those to see how they go.
My first thoughts of the 35d were “is that it” with regards to everyone going on about have it had virtually no lag. Was great for a diesel I guess but probably the only way to get rid of lag is to use an electric turbo/motor.
How about not having a sig at all?
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:19 pm Diesels went to the monster 4 turbo 50d for a few years before succumbing to emissions - I’d really like to drive one of those to see how they go.
My first thoughts of the 35d were “is that it” with regards to everyone going on about have it had virtually no lag. Was great for a diesel I guess but probably the only way to get rid of lag is to use an electric turbo/motor.
I had the X5 M50d.. used to amuse me that the 50d looked like POS on the door sill as you exited! Was very much like a turbo petrol engine if I remember correctly.. reving better and higher than you’d expect from a diseasel
Cheers,

Ian
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:16 pm Cheers all, it was a good fun day. Oh, and I forgot - noisiest car was the Elise, followed by the 911, followed by Will’s Tesla making fart noises.
Great write up, Simon. Spot the solicitor accustomed to taking detailed and precise file notes ;)
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Looking back at my verbiage, you’d think I charged by the word not the 6-minute unit 😄
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:57 pm I don't think Wikipedia is correct on this. Every mag review described the 535d as a twin turbo from launch in 2004 - here's Autocar for instance: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/bm ... mw-535d-se
Its definitely a twin turbo

https://www.topgear.com/videos/top-gear ... episode-10

See the tall fuzzy headed fool's commentary from 2:30 onwards. The twin versus single was the whole point of the "5" over the 530d. Absolutely no idea why I can vividly remember this detail about a diesel saloon car nearly a decade on!
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

mik wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:14 pm At this rate @Jimmy Choo is going to have to actually open his bonnet and count all turbos present, using a combination of fingers, and own eyes. :shock:

And @Jobbo won't accept an opposing outcome without pictures.
I opened the bonnet and counted 1 [ONE] engine packed in quite tightly and I'm not going to start taking the engine apart to count how many turbots it's got.

However, it does appear that the Wiki article relates to the US market cars and not the European ones. 8-) I always wanted to play with twins. :lol:
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

I’m suprised by the positive comments on me interior!
The nasty footwell on the WhatsApp group spurred on an application of the hoover on Sunday night!
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Explosive Newt wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:17 am I’m suprised by the positive comments on me interior!
The nasty footwell on the WhatsApp group spurred on an application of the hoover on Sunday night!
I spent some quality time at the jetwash on Friday in preparation. :lol:

The interior of the Tesla would drive me crazy as it's too uncluttered and makes my neurodiverse brain scream but i really appreciate the efficiency of the design.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Shame we didn't see this!
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Left over crest; tightens.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

:D TBH I didn't know what you guys were on about with this, I thought it was some well known NIMBY getting upset at everyone speeding.