Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Let’s have a heated debate.

Post by Rich B »

Who cares?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:56 amWho cares?
I remember someone called @Rich B having strong opiniopns on the matter in the past. Are they still around ? Ask them :D
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:58 am
I remember someone called @Rich B having strong opiniopns on the matter in the past. Are they still around ? Ask them :D
I had/have strong opinions on plenty of things, but does any grown up really give a shit what phone anyone else uses?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

This isn't real life :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

This is TEH INTENETZ. Everything is binary. You can't have a balanced view. Not allowed.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

You could do a survey to find out, I reckon it'll be somewhere around 27% of the population who care. Does that help answer your question?
Beany

Post by Beany »

I used to need Android for some of it's flexibilty (like allowing wifi scanning out of the box, etc) but as I do less and less on site stuff, I could probably live with an iPhone for work.

I still prefer to have the option of doing tech stuff, sideloading apps (like Newpipe Sponsorblock) for personal stuff though, so I prefer to stay there for that, but ideally on android phones that are 'near baseline' - so Pixel phones over Samsung, as I've never got on with Samsungs customisations etc.

It's almost like you pick the tool most suitable for your required application, or something :lol:
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Gavster wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:16 am
You could do a survey to find out, I reckon it'll be somewhere around 27% of the population who care. Does that help answer your question?
😂
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

This a forum of IT geeks, it's probably all homebrew Linux side-loads.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:03 am This a forum of IT geeks, it's probably all homebrew Linux side-loads.
I feel personally attacked by this comment, and honestly kinda disappointed that I'm not actually a valid target, because even I don't have the patience for that shit. :lol:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Aren't we all running a heavily modified DEC Alpha port?

I'm at the stage of tech enthusiasm that things just have to work. No patience to mod or tweak anymore.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I miss my Motorola V3 Razr.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Phone: Android all the way*

Laptop & Tablet: Apple all the way

* two things I do very frequently on my phone that I can't with Apple:

1) I buy a lot of online music (Bandcamp) and I can download it, unzip, and listen to it all on my phone

2) transferring music from my laptop to my phone (wirelessly and without need of crap like iTunes)
Marv

Post by Marv »

Switched to an iPhone a little while back from a OnePlus 6T.

I still think that there's not enough difference these days for it to matter that much for most people. There are things that iPhones do slightly better than an Android phone, and vice-versa.

I'd only consider an Android phone which doesn't have a duplication of apps or bloatware, as that frustrates the hell out of me. So the OnePlus phones or Google Pixels are the main ones which appeal to me.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

I've almost exclusively owned Apple computers since 2002 and iPhones since it launched because I genuinely like to think about these purchases as little as possible.
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

I've stuck with Apple products mainly because they all work so well together and I've got pretty much all Apple products at this point. iPhone, iPad, MacBook etc.

My only real experience with using Android is trying to help my dad occasionally use his Samsung of some description. I just find it a bit confusing compared to iOS, but I'm guessing that's because I've never really needed to learn how to use Android. Not to say I'd never give it a go, but I just think I'd regret swapping at this point. I'd also have to avoid the bloatware phones, as I remember that nonsense from old Nokia phones. Annoying!

My Sony TV is Android thinking about it, but that doesn't really resemble the phone OS.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

DaveE wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:25 pm Phone: Android all the way*

1) I buy a lot of online music (Bandcamp) and I can download it, unzip, and listen to it all on my phone

2) transferring music from my laptop to my phone (wirelessly and without need of crap like iTunes)
I think you can do both of those things fairly easily with an iPhone now, but there'd be no point trying to change - I'm sure Android would be fine for me if I started with it now but I'm just used to iOS. Although since the Macan has Carplay but not Android Auto, there is another benefit to sticking.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Brannen wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:24 am My Sony TV is Android thinking about it, but that doesn't really resemble the phone OS.
I don't mind Android TV but the interface is a bit of a mess - I'm sure Apple could do the same thing in a prettier way.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I think we've not even achieved a tepid debate on this topic. @Zonda please can you rename the subject accordingly?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:05 am
DaveE wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:25 pm Phone: Android all the way*

I think you can do both of those things fairly easily with an iPhone now, but there'd be no point trying to change - I'm sure Android would be fine for me if I started with it now but I'm just used to iOS. Although since the Macan has Carplay but not Android Auto, there is another benefit to sticking.
In a simplistic way, you can drag/drop using various 3rd party apps

Where they seem to fall down is compilations and gapless albums

Last time I tried them, compilations would result in multiple albums being created (one for every artist on the compilation) each containing whatever track(s) that artist had on the compilation (i.e. the phone's music app doesn't automatically group tracks by album name)

If you add a compilation album (CD rip) to iTunes, you have to select all the tracks and then tag them as Compilation, this sets a meta flag in the files which the phone uses to group Compilations

In the latter (gapless) the same kind of thing applies, you have to tell iTunes it's gapless, it adds a flag to the files, and also works out the gapless offset (i.e. how many frames it needs to ignore at the start and end of each track so there's no gap)

All of this "just works" (to coin Apple's phrase) natively on Android without having to do anything other than drag/drop files