Hair cuts

Broccers

Hair cuts

Post by Broccers »

How much do you pay for yours? Do you get what you want? Do you even have hair?

Was looking a bit sheep like the other day and a kind Irish fella here slotted me in for what I described as just a quick number 2 at the back.

After establishing he was only on his first beer of the day he opened his shop and gave me an education on how to actually cut hair. Seems he used to charge 90 euros in Dublin but took pity on me as I'm a poor northern lad and it was only 20.

Made me actually think that there might be a huge gap from good to bad barbers in the UK. If you're after the standard Turkish it's a tenner at home.

What's your going rate where you are? 🍺🍻🌞
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Hair cuts

Post by Jobbo »

Did you think this forum turned into the male equivalent of Mumsnet in the couple of months you disappeared?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jobbo wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:05 pm Did you think this forum turned into the male equivalent of Mumsnet in the couple of months you disappeared?
Yes. You have some hair don't you?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I've cut my own hair since 1994

But Mini-dinny's is £18 from the universally accepted Best Old Skool Men's Barber in Milton Keynes
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

£8 in Sexy Sandra's, think something like a 60+ rough Bette Lynch. For that i get a random haircut and a chat about her health. I go there as i like her and been going since a kid with my dad but my son now refuses. Sometimes i get a 2 on sides and 6 on top, sometimes just a 2 on sides and a random cut on top and occasionally she'll cut off my prized sideburns without question :lol:

Local Kurdish place charges £12 and i occasionally go with my son. They ask what i want and may make some suggestions, shave, trim beards, sideburns, nose wax and so on. Quite enjoy going there, they always tidy up and shape the neck etc with a disposable cutthroat and get a squirt of lemon stuff. Only had the nose wax once and i swear its an inside joke, i was a 2 man job and the stick came out looking liking a paint brush!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

dinny_g wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:13 pm I've cut my own hair since 1994

But Mini-dinny's is £18 from the universally accepted Best Old Skool Men's Barber in Milton Keynes
Reasonable! How much for a bigger head? 😀

Old fellas and kids pay about 12 where I go at home.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Carlos wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:17 pm .,... its an inside joke, i was a 2 man job and the stick came out looking liking a paint brush!
Absolutely what I'm looking for 😂

I swear most of them give you the can't be arsed standard 15 mins fuck off buzz and don't care what you actually wanted.
GG.

Post by GG. »

You don't want to know how much it is in Laandan...
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

GG. wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:00 pm You don't want to know how much it is in Laandan...
I do, hence the thread. I'm very intrigued to see If a cut for 20 is any worse than one for 130.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I started getting the wife to cut my hair in lockdown, she’s been doing it ever since.

So glad because I hate going to the barbers- travel there, sit for half an hour waiting for a barber and then the same again with tedious small talk then travel home whilst itching like fuck- always felt like I’d wasted half a day
mik

Post by mik »

Barbers I go to flipped to an app-based appointment system during lockdown, and kept it as it is infinitely better. Get to book a specific barber and you are never waiting more than 5mins.

£16 btw.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Yes ours is web based / specific barber too which is good. Price is £32 for a basic wash and cut though...
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

GG. wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:23 pm Yes ours is web based / specific barber too which is good. Price is £32 for a basic wash and cut though...
Getting someone to cut your hair I can understand, but washing it ? I reckon I could do that myself.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:31 pm
GG. wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:23 pm Yes ours is web based / specific barber too which is good. Price is £32 for a basic wash and cut though...
Getting someone to cut your hair I can understand, but washing it ? I reckon I could do that myself.
Yes to be fair they don't normally wash my hair but don't think there is a cheaper option!

Top tip - don't wash your hair the preceding week to get your money's worth :lol:
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

GG. wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:42 pm Top tip - don't wash your hair the preceding week to get your money's worth :lol:
Waaaaay ahead of you on this. WFH is a gift from the gods. My personal hygiene has gone significantly downhill since 2020.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

For 32 quid I wouldn’t be washing it between cuts!! :lol:
John

Post by John »

I’ve never been to a barbers for a haircut as my dad used to be a barber. I went once or twice in the 80s for streaks though :D

My wife cuts it now.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I think mine cost £40 when I last visited 5 years ago in Soho, it was a proper hairdresser though. 20 minute wash/massage from the fit woman and then my hairdresser - Daniel - who was the splitting image of Christian Von Koenigsegg got to work for 40 minutes trying to make me somewhat presentable. The fit woman would go off and start waxing men which was the busier part of their business so you would hear the occasional grunts coming from the basement.

Daniel was an interesting chap and would usually moan about his current boyfriend of the month. Sadly the place shut down during covid and I never got to find out if he got that sex change. Being a very tall stocky chap I don’t think it would have been a very convincing transition.
How about not having a sig at all?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I used to spend £20 until there wasn’t enough hair for it to be financially viable.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

People I know tell me it's about 20 for a cut at the local slightly up it's own fundamental gents hairdressers.

I've got a pair of shears and buzz it off after a couple of beers when it starts getting caught in my over-ear headphones frame, or if I wake up and I have enough hair growth for it to stick up. Usually do the beard at the same time to the same length because I'm that lazy.