Petrol Honda mowers

mik

Petrol Honda mowers

Post by mik »

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Petrol Honda mowers

Post by Jobbo »

Oh no :( I was just thinking how much I like my Izy over the weekend. I think I might splash out on one of those hydrostatic drive mowers now, since it’s the last opportunity. Will probably see me out.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

And I bought one today:

The place I bought it are an authorised Honda dealer. They told me that it’s the US where Honda are stopping production - I don’t think any of the Honda mowers sold in the U.K. are US built. So they aren’t aware that things are stopping here but they did say they don’t necessarily get told.

Didn’t put me off buying. Even if the residual value won’t be bolstered by it being a last year of production top of the range model, I don’t care because I doubt I’ll ever have to buy another mower before I die. It’s lovely. They described it as being built as Honda wanted, then priced - not built to a budget. Obviously with an aluminium alloy deck it’s… heavier than my previous steel desk Izy despite being a similar size 😄 That is down to things like proper bearings on everything, an exquisite shaft drive rather than the Daf-like rubber belt, metal wheels etc. In use the weight means it ploughs on happily, and it has plenty of grip on the grass. The hydrostatic drive is great. Downsides: it doesn’t mulch, and while you can get a mulching plug and replacement blade to do so, the desk is designed to collect so isn’t really the right shape. The throttle lever is on the left hand side of the handle and can be moved by dense foliage or branches, pulling it to the ‘stop’ position. Overall though it’s lovely.
mik

Post by mik »

What size is it? Sounds like it’ll last for evah - I assume it was reassuringly expensive.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Those GXV engines get the landscapers frothing but I’ve only had bad luck with mine.
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

It’s an HRH 536 so 53cm wide. I don’t think they’re sold in any other size.

Reassuringly expensive, yes, but not if you average it out as a cost per year over expected lifespan.
mik

Post by mik »

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I'd be looking to PCP that :shock: :lol:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Herd of goats? Eco alternative.

Mito can probably provide some breeding stock.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

It was my automatic thought, @mik, but apparently the Honda ride-ons are made by the same company in Italy which makes Mountfields and others - they aren't as special as the walk-behinds.

Current favourite is an Al-ko (German brand, made in Austria and apparently the Volvo of lawn tractors) or a Husqvarna out-front. The collecting versions of the Husky are expensive though and seem quite complicated so I'm favouring the Al-ko.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Have you looked at Toro ??
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Just had a look - I'm not going battery for the mower and Toro's tractors seem to be electric. Got to be petrol because spilling diesel is disgusting and I wouldn't want to carry a jerry can of diesel in the car anyway.

Probably something like this: https://www.gardenmachinerydirect.co.uk ... n-tractor/
I'd like this - but you have to select one of the decks separately so it comes to about £9,500 and that's mad: https://www.gardenmachinerydirect.co.uk ... awd-rider/
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

What about a Deere John?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:42 pm What about a Deere John?
I've never been a fan of the colour scheme and they do seem to be expensive.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

It's been a while since I looked at them but yeah you're right - all the "Lawn Tractors" are battery now.

The Zero Turn machines are petrol but are muchos monies and also, you'll look like a council worker... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Zero turn isn't the right type - we have a bit of a slope on the grass which is apparently not helpful and the grass is just a big patch of grass so we don't need the manoeuvrability. The Husky I linked above with out-front deck would be the ideal alternative if we had an orchard.
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

My parent’s Iseki is now 35 years old and other than the cutting deck rotting because dad stopped cleaning it at the end of the seasons has needed nothing outside of standard servicing.
It cuts a couple of acres and still drives like new.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Is there an enterprising young farm hand (oo-err) that could be paid for regular service (oo-err again)? Saves buying and maintaining another piece of machinery.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Jimexpl wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:39 pm My parent’s Iseki is now 35 years old and other than the cutting deck rotting because dad stopped cleaning it at the end of the seasons has needed nothing outside of standard servicing.
It cuts a couple of acres and still drives like new.
Yes Iseki and Kubota the Bentley of the lawn mowing/compact tractor world but they’re diesel which Jobbo doesn’t like and quite a bit more expensive new.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

To be honest, that’s what I’d do DJ…