Recommend me driving games

KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Recommend me driving games

Post by KiwiDave »

Have a seat and pedal setup with my PS5. So far been playing GT7 and nothing else but fancy mixing it up a bit.

What do people recommend? I saw mention of Project Cars in another thread, would also really love a rallying game recommendation.

PS5 only, don't have a gaming PC handy to connect up.
mik

Re: Recommend me driving games

Post by mik »

I play Project Cars 2 (on PS4).

I haven’t felt any need to try anything else yet. Loads of tracks. Loads of cars. Loads of car setup tweaks. Can enjoy off-line, but there is also a healthy level of active and annoyingly talented human rivals.

Edit: online system uses reputation based on results and ability to race in close proximity without contact. This allows you to avoid races that include noobs or shit drivers, who can get bored/frustrated and start doing stoopid shit that ruins everyones races. At first I was annoyed that any contact affects the reputation of both drivers equally - which is often unfair - but I've since changed my mind with the realisation that any other approach could be exploited with people adjusting their driving to suit the rules (so - for example - if running into the back of someone affected your reputation only, other drivers might be inclined to brake-test you at crucial moments in a race.... so you'd then avoid running too close behind people, etc etc).
Last edited by mik on Mon May 15, 2023 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I bought Forza Motorsport and enjoyed it then I brought Project Cars 2 and the level of realism with a decent wheel etc means I've never played Forza since. I've completed every championship race so I'm hoping a new version comes out soon.
mik

Post by mik »

Zonda_ wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:13 am I bought Forza Motorsport and enjoyed it then I brought Project Cars 2 and the level of realism with a decent wheel etc means I've never played Forza since. I've completed every championship race so I'm hoping a new version comes out soon.
Project Cars 3 replaced 2, but it didn't receive a positive response from the market - most folks (as I understand it) reverting back to PC2, or not purchasing due to poor reviews.

Do you play online? Whole new level. The most expensive option is to pay monthly for about £6 per month - easy way to try and see if you like it.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Zonda_ wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:13 am I bought Forza Motorsport and enjoyed it then I brought Project Cars 2 and the level of realism with a decent wheel etc means I've never played Forza since. I've completed every championship race so I'm hoping a new version comes out soon.
You're fucked with that - after the piss poor Project Cars 3 SMS has been disbanded.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/pr ... wn-studio/
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Project Cars 3 went full NFS!

It does live on in the form of the excellent AMS 2 but that’s PC only.
I guess the best driving game on PS5 would be Gran Turismo but I’ve stuck to my game pad for it as they always feel a bit wooden and too understeery for me on a wheel.
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

BTW - PS5 and PS4 can race in the same online lobbies, so this could be the start of the OV9 International Project Cars 2 Racing League (Playstation Series) (or OIPC2RLPS for short ;) with me, @Zonda_ and @KiwiDave . Guaranteed podium.... :geek:
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

mik wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:45 am BTW - PS5 and PS4 can race in the same online lobbies, so this could be the start of the OV9 International Project Cars 2 Racing League (Playstation Series) (or OIPC2RLPS for short ;) with me, @Zonda_ and @KiwiDave . Guaranteed podium.... :geek:
Sadly I'm on Xbox
mik

Post by mik »

Zonda_ wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:10 am
mik wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:45 am BTW - PS5 and PS4 can race in the same online lobbies, so this could be the start of the OV9 International Project Cars 2 Racing League (Playstation Series) (or OIPC2RLPS for short ;) with me, @Zonda_ and @KiwiDave . Guaranteed podium.... :geek:
Sadly I'm on Xbox
Ah - you'll need to instead join @scotta 's OV9 (Inter?)National Project Cars 2 Racting Leage (XBox Series) instead.

(It’s very annoying that you can’t play x-platforms :cry: )
KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave »

Just you and me then - gold or silver every time!
mik

Post by mik »

KiwiDave wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:05 pm
Just you and me then - gold or silver every time!
Always silver for you southern hemispherer ! :evil:

(We’d best spice things up early)
KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave »

The best bit will be you'll be settling down for a race half cut on yer Buckfast and I'll be doing it during my morning meetings :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

Pffft - you make it sound like you drive worse on Buckfast. :roll:
Beany

Post by Beany »

BeamNG for when you're bored of just riding the barriers in most games to get around corners.

It's basically a full soft-body physics simulation sandbox, but with cars. And it's an oddly fascinating game to play as you have to drive pretty much like it were a real car; take the piss in a city map and clip a kerb, and one your wheels will end up with 30 deg of toe.

No particular career/progression mode is properly implemented as yet, but theres lots of little wee missions where, for example, you deliver cars from a dealer to a location, and you can damage the car as much as you want....as long as you reach the delivery location, or rock crawl up a 30 deg incline, or get to the bottom of a cliff face...however you see fit. Carefully or fly off the edge.

An example:

A slightly more rounded oversight:

Yes, the whole intro is in game, done with in game tools (other than the obvious AfterEffects inserts).

A more logical and straigth-laced example of the physics compared to the real world:

Yes, it's kinda spooky.

There's no licensed vehicles, but the range of vehicles is everything from Reliant Three wheelers, to Group A rally, muscle cars, modern super sportscars, 80s hot hatches, all just 'legally distinct' versions of them.

I play it every couple of weeks and just end up tooling around till 1am, or firing up the BeamMP multiplayer mod, finding a random server and doing unplanned races around street circuits with randos. And yes, there are mods for licensed vehicles, but they're never quite as good as the dev made ones in terms of the damage models, etc.

Absolutely worth having a look at. It might not have a half milllion polygon Ferrari 355 Challenge Stradale (that if you hit a wall at 100mph shows hardly any damage because Ferrari don't want their car looking bad...) but it's got a hell of a lot of character and gets regular updates and content, including recently, simulated multi-stage bypass shocks for the stadium trucks and rock racers...

https://www.beamng.com/game/news/blog/b ... ive-v0-27/
KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave »

Any recommendations for rally games?
mik

Post by mik »

KiwiDave wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:50 am Any recommendations for rally games?
KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave »

mik wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:18 pm
KiwiDave wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:50 am Any recommendations for rally games?
Excellent - I'll give that a punt 8-)