The Twisted Saga of the De Tomaso P72

SSO

The Twisted Saga of the De Tomaso P72

Post by SSO »

Toronto
On Wednesday, March 8, 2023, De Tomaso Chairman Norman Choi introduced the De Tomaso P72 at an invitation only reception in Toronto, Canada. During the event, De Tomaso announced that the planned production run of the coupe, set at 72 units, is sold out. But a P72 roadster is in development and is currently undergoing homologation for the North American market, which is expected to be complete by this summer with production getting under way by late 2024. Which is all quite interesting as production has yet to start on the P72 coupe and is unlikely to in the foreseeable future. In fact, sources have indicated that all work on the De Tomaso P72 coupe stopped in March 2023. Work on the coupe was halted by the firm doing the development as De Tomaso hadn’t paid them since December 2022. With work on the P72 coupe stopped, it is highly unlikely any work is being done on a P72 roadster, which makes the claim about undergoing US homologation hard to fathom. So how did we get here?

full story and pictures: https://karenable.com/de-tomaso-p72/
RobYob

Re: The Twisted Saga of the De Tomaso P72

Post by RobYob »

What a gorgeous car, what a complete mess! HWA were also involved the infamous Lotus five car plan, they have a talent for finding troubled programs seemingly.

Realised I also have a number of your blogs to catch up on. I'm sure the AML one will be full of good news... :oops:
mik

Post by mik »

Sounds messy indeed! I wasn't even aware of the P72 before your post - lots of people keen to get a slice of the (apparently still buoyant) hypercar market.

I was repeatedly confused when reading your item as ITV is a longstanding UK TV channel. My issue as opposed to yours. :)
SSO

Post by SSO »

RobYob wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:54 am What a gorgeous car, what a complete mess! HWA were also involved the infamous Lotus five car plan, they have a talent for finding troubled programs seemingly.

Realised I also have a number of your blogs to catch up on. I'm sure the AML one will be full of good news... :oops:
Gorgeous car - complete mess - is a perfect summary of the situation.

On AML, it is. They have turned the corner, retired all the debt, are launching a series of brilliant new mid engine cars........or not.
SSO

Post by SSO »

mik wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:19 am Sounds messy indeed! I wasn't even aware of the P72 before your post - lots of people keen to get a slice of the (apparently still buoyant) hypercar market.

I was repeatedly confused when reading your item as ITV is a longstanding UK TV channel. My issue as opposed to yours. :)
The number of small "boutique" hypercard players these days is extraordinary. Doubt many will make it though.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

SSO wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:55 pm
RobYob wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:54 am What a gorgeous car, what a complete mess! HWA were also involved the infamous Lotus five car plan, they have a talent for finding troubled programs seemingly.

Gorgeous car - complete mess - is a perfect summary of the situation.

On AML, it is. They have turned the corner, retired all the debt, are launching a series of brilliant new mid engine cars........or not.
https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-bri ... rtin/47222

Geeky keep maneuvering, @nuttinnew was calling it in 2021. Pity he won't share the Lotto numbers. :cry:
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

RobYob wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:19 am https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-bri ... rtin/47222

Geeky keep maneuvering, @nuttinnew was calling it in 2021. Pity he won't share the Lotto numbers. :cry:
Que? :?

It's taken me a while to find... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11196

How tf did you remember that?! :shock: :lol:
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

The name Geely comes up unsurprisingly infrequently on this forum 8-)

I actually thought I'd made the call so was looking for self aggrandisement :oops:
mik

Post by mik »

RobYob wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:06 pm The name Geely comes up unsurprisingly infrequently on this forum 8-)
What about “Geeky” ?

As per your post above :)
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

mik wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:15 pm
RobYob wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:06 pm The name Geely comes up unsurprisingly infrequently on this forum 8-)
What about “Geeky” ?

My phone has been given a thorough talking to. :P
SSO

Post by SSO »

RobYob wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:41 am
mik wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:15 pm
What about “Geeky” ?

My phone has been given a thorough talking to. :P
isn't tech wonderful