GE 2024

One party to rule us all?

Conservatives (they’ve been excellent so far)
8%
Labour (things can only get better)
38%
Lib Dem’s (give ‘em a chance)
4%
C & LD (worked really well last time)
No votes
L & LD (isn’t this the original band back together)
17%
C & L (shits and giggles)
No votes
Argument.. sorry, I mean politics
33%

Total votes: 24

IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

GE 2024

Post by IanF »

It looks unlikely that we will have one party with a majority, so another chance for the Lib Dem’s to prove their… erm, worth?

I’m a big believer in largest vote winner then being able to create a government with other parties (as opposed to all the lower vote winning parties banding together) so thought we may as getting the ball rolling about who we’d like (and why that doesn’t include the SNP ;) )
Cheers,

Ian
Simon

Re: GE 2024

Post by Simon »

Let's face it, LD aren't going into coalition with the Cons anytime soon are they? This, despite the fact that the LDs had more of their manifesto enacted in the 2010 coalition than their vote share would say they were entitled to. The problem is that the students only remember the student loan issue and nothing else.

Realistically we are looking at a minority Labour government being propped up issue by issue by the LDs, a slim Lab majority, or a full on Lab/Lib coalition, if the number of LibDem MPs outnumbers the number of seats on the minibus I'm allowed to drive.

And I agree that the biggest vote winner gets the first crack at claiming confidence of the house to form a government, as did Nick Clegg back in 2010 which is why he did the deal he did with Cameroon rather than a 'coalition of the rest' with Brown.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Would be nice to think the scenario above would result in a push for PR but I don't suppose the major parties want people engaged in politics, the "they are all as bas as each other" trope serves the main two well, although mainly Tories.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Taking into account the way the local elections have gone and adding in the general feeling in the country of disillusion towards the conservative government- if labour don’t walk it I’d be surprised. If they don’t then they need to bin off Starmer and get someone universally likeable
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

If Labour don’t shoot themselves in the foot then they might get a slim majority…

But they will unfortunately and because no one will enter a coalition with the Tories, it will be probably be a Labour Led Coalition
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Labour have an open goal at the moment but as far as I can tell, no one really fancies Kier as prime minister.

From my pov he seems a bit spineless tbh.

I don’t know how I’m going to vote at the next GE, the greens have split over the national party leadership’s trans rights views.

Maybe it’s time to start my eco anarchist collective.
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

I don't feel an affinity with any of them (listed above, or others). :(
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

If Labour don't win they might as well pack up and go home. They've also been making a lot of good noises around food and frankly I think we need a change of leadership, if only to shake things up.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I suspect Labour will get a majority, but I wouldn't mind a bit of issue by issue voting as long as people are sensible and it isn't too difficult to get things done.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Gavin wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:17 am Would be nice to think the scenario above would result in a push for PR but I don't suppose the major parties want people engaged in politics, the "they are all as bas as each other" trope serves the main two well, although mainly Tories.
THere's already a suggestion that the PR vote will be something the LDs force out of Lab to prop up a coalition. Wouldn't be a bad thing at all imo. I have no issue with the principle of FPTP, but it's clearly no longer working for the UK when you have a choice of Con or Lab. If PR enabled the parties to align more with their traditional roots then that would be no bad thing at all - the worst thing for UK politics imo has been the push to appeal to everyone, as it means they appeal to no one and get fuck all done.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I don't see the issue with Sir Kier, I guess he could try and step forward and be a bit more of a commanding personality, but Sunak isn't that either. surely people don't want leaders like Boris or Corbyn?!
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Rich B wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:48 amsurely people don't want leaders like Boris or Corbyn?!
Unfortunately that is a huge part of it and that's why we are where we are.

Ive heard calls for Penny to replace Rishi, after she a great job of holding a sword for 20 minutes. :roll:
scotta

Post by scotta »

I dont trust any of them. I thought that the SNP were the best of a bad bunch - but see how that's turned out in recent weeks.

Those in government should be the best leaders surrounded by the best people with the interest of the country put first. This simply is not the case. In all honesty i think we could form a government from the members of this forum (Not Broccers) and do a better job :lol:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

MikeHunt wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:54 am
Rich B wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:48 amsurely people don't want leaders like Boris or Corbyn?!
Unfortunately that is a huge part of it and that's why we are where we are.

Ive heard calls for Penny to replace Rishi, after she a great job of holding a sword for 20 minutes. :roll:
:lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The thirst for Penny Mordaunt among middle aged conservative dudes is incredible. I feel a bit embarrassed on their behalf for some of the shit they post :lol:
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:43 am Labour have an open goal at the moment
Exactly - All their slogan needs to be is "We're not the Conservatives" and they're a shoe-in

However, they'll fuck it up. They'll get dragged (by he Conservatives most likely) into some debate they don't want to be in - either on Gender, the Environment or some topic where their choice will be alienate the middle ground or alienate the Grass Roots Union vote - and they'll screw it up.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I think it's clearer than that. Kier has nothing but rehashed conservative and New Labour policies to talk about. None of them are particularly popular with voters on the left so he's relying almost entirely on people not wanting to vote for the tories for their win.

I don't think people are going to put him in number 10 just to get rid of the current lot though.
An absolute unit
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:48 pm I don't think people are going to put him in number 10 just to get rid of the current lot though.
That's preceisely why I'll vote Labour next year :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Gonna give poor Kier false hope.

I get the feeling that he'll end up as one of those prime ministers that no one likes in record time.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Might they use him to get them in but then No Confidence him out and replace him with a proper left winger ??