Openreach / Fibre / New build houses

Explosive Newt

Openreach / Fibre / New build houses

Post by Explosive Newt »

I have had a nightmare with getting fibre in our new house. We are stuck with ADSL (8Mb download, 0.3Mb upload) because of some glitch in the OpenReach database which means it doesn't think our house exists.
While your address has been built in our CSS database, and our systems are aware of the premise's UPRN, it's still not appearing on our addressing database which is shared with CP's.
They have been 'trying to come up with a workaround' for three weeks (since the property was registered with royal mail and should have gone live on their database). Meanwhile if more than one person tries to use our internet connection, it becomes unusable.

FFs.
Jimexpl

Re: Openreach / Fibre / New build houses

Post by Jimexpl »

Explosive Newt wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:56 am I have had a nightmare with getting fibre in our new house. We are stuck with ADSL (8Mb download, 0.3Mb upload) because of some glitch in the OpenReach database which means it doesn't think our house exists.
While your address has been built in our CSS database, and our systems are aware of the premise's UPRN, it's still not appearing on our addressing database which is shared with CP's.
They have been 'trying to come up with a workaround' for three weeks (since the property was registered with royal mail and should have gone live on their database). Meanwhile if more than one person tries to use our internet connection, it becomes unusable.

FFs.
Are you certain that the Council have registered your address correctly? It's where the Royal Mail get their info from, but errors do happen (it's a pretty manual process at every stage), and I'm pretty sure that BT look at both sets of data. Try and contact their Street Naming and Numbering department to confirm.
Failing that, I can probably get you a leased line for £250 a month!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye, it’s worth checking that your address is registered properly. At work I sometimes have to ask RM to add addresses to the system we use for shipping and I’d assume the people living there are getting mail and stuff.
An absolute unit
scotta

Post by scotta »

Strange - The new housing estates they are building locally have no copper installs from scratch.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:13 am Aye, it’s worth checking that your address is registered properly. At work I sometimes have to ask RM to add addresses to the system we use for shipping and I’d assume the people living there are getting mail and stuff.
This took some time (the developer hadn't done it and it took us a while to find the relevant people in the local council to register with) but it appears on the royal mail address finder etc now.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

scotta wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:25 am Strange - The new housing estates they are building locally have no copper installs from scratch.
This is the mad and illogical thing. A BT engineer came out and installed a copper wire down which we are getting our ADSL but fibre is a separate service. I was given some explanation about how the guys who install copper wire are hard hat trained and therefore can go onto unregistered addresses (which are assumed to be building sites) but the openreach engineers are not allowed thus.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Jimexpl wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:56 pm
Explosive Newt wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:56 am I have had a nightmare with getting fibre in our new house. We are stuck with ADSL (8Mb download, 0.3Mb upload) because of some glitch in the OpenReach database which means it doesn't think our house exists.

FFs.
Are you certain that the Council have registered your address correctly? It's where the Royal Mail get their info from, but errors do happen (it's a pretty manual process at every stage), and I'm pretty sure that BT look at both sets of data. Try and contact their Street Naming and Numbering department to confirm.
Failing that, I can probably get you a leased line for £250 a month!
We had to contact street naming and numbering in the first place to get the house registered, about a month and a half ago, taking about three weeks to process. The copied details they sent to us seem correct but I will double check.
If not, yes, a leased line is starting to sound like a better and better idea.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Explosive Newt wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:28 pm ...the guys who install copper wire are hard hat trained...
There's now specific training on how to put a hat on ? I mean, I'm not actually surprised now I think about it, but bloody hell :roll:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

My mate who drives a lorry on construction sites is always angry about pointless training. He has a 2 day training induction for every new contract he takes which just involves wasting 8 hours each day watching a general health and safety video on a laptop - most of it is about climbing scaffolding which he’s never done in his life.
How about not having a sig at all?
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:07 pm
Explosive Newt wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:28 pm ...the guys who install copper wire are hard hat trained...
There's now specific training on how to put a hat on ? I mean, I'm not actually surprised now I think about it, but bloody hell :roll:
Wait until you find out that we just had a whole bank holiday weekend for putting a hat on a guy.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

I feel your pain, my first post-uni house share was in a newbuild, on a previously uninhabited road and at first we largely didn't exist on databases etc, it was a right ballache.
scotta

Post by scotta »

You could look at starlink.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Explosive Newt wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:12 pm
Wait until you find out that we just had a whole bank holiday weekend for putting a hat on a guy.
Oh it gets worse, I had to do a video course where I had to show myself putting on a high viz waistcoat, helmet, glasses, gloves and ear plugs.
One of the guys failed as he didn’t stretch the top of his ear before inserting the plug.

Dave!
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

scotta wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:03 am You could look at starlink.
There's no long term commitment in the contract with them and you can just sell your kit on when you get a fibre service in.

Openreach were installing fibre in the village a few months back up and down the length but there's still no sign of the FTTP service actually being available to order. It should be available by 2025 according to their site...
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Meanwhile in civilisation we're getting city fibre cabling here, which promises 500gb+ for about £35 a month. Looking forward to getting Virgin to fuck.
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Not in construction, but there is specific training required to go on construction sites. It is mostly common sense (and as mito says, training and inductions have to cover a multitude of trades). You'd be surprised how many people don't have common sense though, but also because litigation. Eg. "Nobody told me if I jumped off this roof it would hurt, so I'm suing your for not telling me the obvious thing.".
Beany

Post by Beany »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:34 pm Meanwhile in civilisation we're getting city fibre cabling here, which promises 500gb+ for about £35 a month. Looking forward to getting Virgin to fuck.
I've got it via IDNet, never seen below 350mb so far. It's not bad at all.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

On the subject of internet in general can anyone tell me what speed I should realistically get from my Wi-Fi (Gigabit incoming router which does actually output that on my desktop connected via Ethernet).

Called to renew my contract with Hyperoptic and just go for 500mbps but they offered me 2 years on 1gb for the same price. (They’ve done that since forever basically)…

My current AirPort Extreme only outputs 550-600mbps over 5Ghz - I thought it’s 10 years old so perhaps time for upgrade so yesterday I bought a TP Link AXE5400 which I’m thoroughly unimpressed with. Seems to be the same speed although about 50mpbs less moving 1 room away. So I think I’ll be returning it…
Beany

Post by Beany »

Really depends on the client hardware. IE I've got built in motherboard wifi on this machine, and it'll get 900mb. My works laptop upstairs has a better wifi card and it gets 1200mb. My older laptop gets a max of 720, etc

Unless the client side (IE the device) supports the newer standard, you won't see an improvement.

Yes, wifi is fucking messy and a bastard to get the best speeds out of.

That router is Wifi 6e, so you'd want to get a wifi 6e adapter in your client devices; if it's a Macbook I don't know if that's even possible these days. If it's a windows PC, it's prooooobably on a mini PCI-e card but then you have to consider antenna amounts and it all starts getting a bit complicated for a forum post.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yeah I've checked and can see some reddit posts with MacBook Air M1s getting 900mbps on wifi - albeit 1 metre away from the router. Although when I placed my laptop 1 metre away the speed reduced to 450 mbps :lol:
I'll try again in a few years :lol: