Tipping

Do you tip? (Assuming you are somewhere that has a tipping culture).

Poll ended at Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:59 pm

1. I don't tip. I don't feel I should be expected to.
No votes
2. I don't tip unless I get exceptional treatment. Will tip a nominal amount.
15%
3. I don't tip unless I get exceptional treatment. Will tip a % of the bill.
15%
4. I generally tip, but at less than the expected "normal" %. For exceptional service I might throw in "normal" % tip.
4%
5. I generally tip, at expected "normal" %
35%
6. I generally tip, at a bit more than the expected "normal" %
23%
7. I always leave a big tip. Pays dividends next time I visit.
4%
8. I always leave a big tip. It shows I have loadsamoney.
No votes
9. Keep the change ya filthy animal.
4%
10. I prefer to argue about the tip (with the recipient or others in my party)
No votes

Total votes: 26

mik

Tipping

Post by mik »

Does one tip?

Applies to restaurants, taxis, bars, whateveh.

I was in Foreignland recently where restaurant service was very good, but they don't have a tipping culture. You are just expected to pay the bill. Not happy with the service? I guess you'll consider that when you are next deciding where you will eat out.

I was also in Foreignland YooEssAy a while back and learned that tipping expectations have risen. Apparently during Covid- when fewer places were open - people started tipping 30-35% over their bill as a thanks/recognition. Now everything has opened back up - this has become the new norm. I was in a group for a restaurant meal and someone else was paying - bill was a smidge over $600, so they tipped at 30% (ie $180 :shock: ). Bonkerz. :?

This topic cannot of course be discussed without someone posting a link to this scene. I shall therefore take care of it immediately.

duncs500

Re: Tipping

Post by duncs500 »

Tipping is a pain in the arse, I wish it didn't exist.

However, I will conform to the accepted norms. I'll tip standard 10-12% for normal service, perhaps a bit more for exceptional service, and obviously less or not at all if they're rude or something.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I went with 4 as I didn't think 10-12% was Norm. I'd typically tip 5 but would extend that for great service to 10-15.

It may be a regional thing as some of my mates would tip 5 tops and nothing for normal service.

I've caught my mate taking his tip back as he thought I was being over generous and covered it! 😂
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

I tip 10% pretty much every time purely out of social embarrassment. I don’t really agree with it most of the time.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I hate it. Why should I be expected to pay more for someone just doing there job? It's taking the piss! If someone has gone out of their way then I don't mind, but I'm not tipping for putting a plate down or pouring me some more wine.

I stayed at the Hard Rock hotel in London recently and they tried charging a 13% service charge of already expensive beers. I commented that they'd filled two Guinness and passed then about 12 inches to me. GTF! A chap sat near me hadn't realised and took all his receipts to reception for a refund 😂

I haven't been to the USA, but my wife has just returned from a week in NYC. Hotel was about $420 a night plus another 20-25% in various taxes. Then there is the tipping when out and about. When I go, I think it'll annoy the hell out of me and may spoil the trip. Hence my reticence to go so far.
mik

Post by mik »

I also hate tipping as a premise.

Mrs mik (who had several waiting jobs as a student) has changed my habits. In the UK I do 10% for decent restaurant service - 15% for exceptional. If I get poor service they get nothing - which I always get a row for - Mrs hates that. :)

I can’t get my head around tipping someone for poring me a drink though - so in the US I have never tipped a barman. That just feels ridiculous to me. On the above US business trip I had breakfast at the hotel - which involved me being served a glass of “fresh orange” (more like SunnyD), and going to the buffet to get all my own food, and pouring myself coffee. I was advised I by colleagues that I should have left a tip - fuck off.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I always tip 15%

I know that it’s not as necessary here as in the US but minimum wage is still shit and I can afford it.
An absolute unit
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

I draw the line at Fly tipping. What have the filthy little bastards ever done for us?
mik

Post by mik »

@PaulJ I’ve seen a horse fly.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

PaulJ wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:08 pm I draw the line at Fly tipping. What have the filthy little bastards ever done for us?
What’s your opinion on cow tipping then? Or are we not supposed to do that any more because greenhouse burps?
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Everywhere seems to have 12.5% added to the bill by default these days and I'd only ask to remove it if the service was absolutely awful.

On the other hand New York induced financial anxiety when the bill came, it felt like "Are you tipping 20%, 30% or 40% today sir?"
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Gavster wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:49 pm Everywhere seems to have 12.5% added to the bill by default these days and I'd only ask to remove it if the service was absolutely awful.

On the other hand New York induced financial anxiety when the bill came, it felt like "Are you tipping 20%, 30% or 40% today sir?"
All of this except I’ve never asked to have the service charge removed even when the service was shit :lol:

America is a joke, they charge service charge plus expect a 20% tip now. If I go again I’d probably mostly stick with takeaways and fast food places 😂
How about not having a sig at all?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Mito Man wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:50 pm
Gavster wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:49 pm Everywhere seems to have 12.5% added to the bill by default these days and I'd only ask to remove it if the service was absolutely awful.

All of this except I’ve never asked to have the service charge removed even when the service was shit :lol:

America is a joke, they charge service charge plus expect a 20% tip now. If I go again I’d probably mostly stick with takeaways and fast food places 😂
I'll always ask for the service charge to be removed if things haven't been good enough. Not so much when I'm out with clients though 😂 And don't think I did in Platinum Lace on Wednesday night 🙈😂
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I sometimes don’t tip, sometimes tip up to 20%. I’m happy to be ignorant of social etiquette, though if I am tipping I usually ask the person serving if it goes to them directly.

Since you pay the tip when you pay the bill as you leave, it doesn’t matter if you don’t tip - there’s nothing they can do to make you. I’ve never had evil stares or pressure to do so.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

McSwede wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:23 pmAnd don't think I did in Platinum Lace on Wednesday night 🙈😂
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

duncs500 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:34 pm
McSwede wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:23 pmAnd don't think I did in Platinum Lace on Wednesday night 🙈😂
Ha. I deffo was not in their good books. I took 5 people and they wanted £6k for an hour with all of us in a private room with 6 girls. GTF was the answer 😂

Funnily enough, we didn't stay long 😂
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Another example of me being a pleb as I googled it. Fingers crossed you got to meet Chipmunk and Mick Norcross whilst there?
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Gavster wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:49 pm On the other hand New York induced financial anxiety when the bill came, it felt like "Are you tipping 20%, 30% or 40% today sir?"
I’ve never been to America but I’m aware of the system; 20, 30, 40% seriously fuck off. I know it’s different over there and the staff get paid jack but why is that the customer’s problem?!

Got an Uber home from a party tonight and it reminded me how great that system is. Just get out, no messing around with cash, no awkward ‘should I tip’, just walk away. Driver didn’t respond to me at all, kept his hood up the whole time, if I was a girl I’d probably have shat myself. Just got a message asking me if I want to tip. GTF.
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

When I was at pizza hut a number of years ago, I worked out getting a veggy pizza and swapping all the toppings for various meat worked out cheaper than getting the same meat pizza. I tipped the waiter the difference.
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

mik wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:16 pm @PaulJ I’ve seen a horse fly.
Without chemical assistance? :shock: