Coaster/YK

Marv

Re: Coaster/YK

Post by Marv »

Been looking back on my old messages to YK, above is a more recent one he sent to me. Years ago we met up at Snetterton and almost straight away he offered to let me drive it on track. Being so rusty with driving on track, I said I'd drive it on the road if that's okay with him. This would be the second time I'd driven his GT3....he was keen on me seeing how much he'd improved it.

The first time I drove it we were on our way down through the Galloway forest park, he'd only recently bought it...it was tramlining all over the place. I was surprised he drove it almost all the trip without mentioning it :lol: He kept telling me to rev the engine harder and drive it properly, but I told him I was more worried about putting it in a ditch :lol: . After that trip he did his research and got the geometry and suspension settings properly sorted and put on a new set of tyres.

Snetterton was maybe a year later. I did a few passenger laps with him and as others have mentioned he was a bloody good driver. The GT3 was impressively rapid with him at the wheel 8-)

Onto my drive on the road and I was amazed with the difference. He was pretty proud on how much he'd transformed the car to work brilliantly on the road and track - just what a 911 GT3 should be! This time round, he was telling me to slow down, as it became apparent that doing 130mph just felt like it was 40.

On our first trip to Scotland when he had his ITR, IIRC he said to me and Duncs his aim was to eventually get a GT3...he saved so hard to get that car and really got the most out of it, and he always made sure that others would enjoy it too.

I'd like to think that he was a kindred spirit. We shared interest and enthusiasm in things away from cars too. He was different to me in other ways too, but for them differences I liked him even more.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Marv

Post by Marv »

adamzxr93 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 4:21 pm I’ve just been reading back through this thread, it’s lovely to see just how many people he knew and friends he’d made through his passion for cars. So I felt it appropriate to make myself a user account.

I first met YK back in 2014 when we both started our training together in ipswich. It was of course cars that got us talking, as I’d spotted his DC2 in the car park! And sure enough it wasn’t long before he let me loose behind the wheel of it! So I have him to thank for my love of old school Hondas.
After training in ipswich had finished, we were both based at other ends of the country, but we still kept in touch. YK introduced me to Barry, Duncan and Marv. He invited me as passenger to several of his track days, in his DC2, 996 C2 and finally of course his 996.2 GT3. And with the help of Barry persuaded me into my first car track day in my S2000 at Anglesey.
In 2019 he organised a 4-5 day road trip around the Scottish Highlands, some of my favourite memories were made on that trip.
He moved up north about 18 months ago to join me at my work depot, and live close to Barry.
I’m sure we’d have had loads more adventures with our cars, and actually also with bikes, as he’d purchased a couple of motorbikes with the intention of getting his bike licence, and joining myself and Barry out on them. It’s so sad that life had other tragic plans for him. He truly was a gent, and will be missed by a lot of people.
Must have been the same training in Ipswich when I first met him. Maybe he mentioned that he was meeting a fellow car nerd that evening? If so that that car nerd was me! :lol:
Oui, je suis un motard.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Jobbo wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:28 pm I’ve found a couple of photos of YK’s Corrado - taken 2 April 2011 on the Ridgeway above Avebury:

That must have been the first time I met him too.
Barry

Post by Barry »

He did have a wish to find a purple Corrado, to add to his fantasy garage. Along with F550, NSX-R..
Wilspeed

Post by Wilspeed »

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

While I've never met YK, or hardly any of you for that matter, I do know there's a connection between all of us that goes beyond recognising a user name on a forum. I am quite certain that all of you would go out of their way to help a fellow forum member if need be, because I am 100% convinced that those of you that I have met would do so without the slightest hesitation (you know who you are). It sounds like YK was a prime example of that spirit and I hope we can make him proud by perpetuating this sense of community.

Rest in peace YK.
Cunt.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Wilspeed wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:36 pm I am quite certain that all of you would go out of their way to help a fellow forum member if need be, because I am 100% convinced that those of you that I have met would do so without the slightest hesitation (you know who you are).
Well said Wilspeed - I absolutely agree
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Found this one from Bedford, 2011.
IMG_2417.JPG
IMG_2417.JPG (270.71 KiB) Viewed 3911 times
And one of YK with an instructor getting the most out of that Corrado 8-)
Attachments
IMG_2404.JPG
IMG_2404.JPG (270.62 KiB) Viewed 3911 times
Left over crest; tightens.
adamzxr93
Currently Driving: Honda S2000
Mercedes C250 CDI estate (daily)
Kawasaki ZX6R
Kawasaki ZXR400

Post by adamzxr93 »

Marv wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:02 pm
adamzxr93 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 4:21 pm I’ve just been reading back through this thread, it’s lovely to see just how many people he knew and friends he’d made through his passion for cars. So I felt it appropriate to make myself a user account.

I first met YK back in 2014 when we both started our training together in ipswich. It was of course cars that got us talking, as I’d spotted his DC2 in the car park! And sure enough it wasn’t long before he let me loose behind the wheel of it! So I have him to thank for my love of old school Hondas.
After training in ipswich had finished, we were both based at other ends of the country, but we still kept in touch. YK introduced me to Barry, Duncan and Marv. He invited me as passenger to several of his track days, in his DC2, 996 C2 and finally of course his 996.2 GT3. And with the help of Barry persuaded me into my first car track day in my S2000 at Anglesey.
In 2019 he organised a 4-5 day road trip around the Scottish Highlands, some of my favourite memories were made on that trip.
He moved up north about 18 months ago to join me at my work depot, and live close to Barry.
I’m sure we’d have had loads more adventures with our cars, and actually also with bikes, as he’d purchased a couple of motorbikes with the intention of getting his bike licence, and joining myself and Barry out on them. It’s so sad that life had other tragic plans for him. He truly was a gent, and will be missed by a lot of people.
Must have been the same training in Ipswich when I first met him. Maybe he mentioned that he was meeting a fellow car nerd that evening? If so that that car nerd was me! :lol:
Oh it will have been! We both spent about 6 weeks down that way before we went off to our local depots. I think I can remember him going off out on his own one evening now that you mention it. That must have been when he met up with you!
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Wilspeed wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:36 pm ...I do know there's a connection between all of us that goes beyond recognising a user name on a forum. I am quite certain that all of you would go out of their way to help a fellow forum member if need be, because I am 100% convinced that those of you that I have met would do so without the slightest hesitation (you know who you are). It sounds like YK was a prime example of that spirit and I hope we can make him proud by perpetuating this sense of community.

Rest in peace YK.
And that's the bit that made my eyes stop working properly...

It's been what 16yrs now since we did that trip to the ring and Spa and you played host to us? It's exactly how I feel. The majority of people who I've got to know through this forum have turned out to be among the most loyal and genuine friends I'll likely ever know. There's a lot of you I'd do anything for and care about more than I remember to say, and it sounds like YK was that same kinda guy that made all these bonds among us here what they are. Losing such a great example of that, so unfairly, cuts pretty deep.
John

Post by John »

Is there anything set up in YK's memory where we can donate, cancer research etc?
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

John wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:31 am Is there anything set up in YK's memory where we can donate, cancer research etc?
Or send a forum-funded Porsche-shaped flower wreath :)
Barry

Post by Barry »

I've not had anything specific from his sister as yet but cancer research or the local hospice would all benefit from any donations for sure.

https://www.slhospice.co.uk/

The staff there were incredible with YK and those of us visiting, I've been involved with charity work for them over the years, they're an awesome bunch of people, doing good work. YKs final days were spent there.
Wilspeed

Post by Wilspeed »

KiwiDave wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:20 pm It's been what 16yrs now since we did that trip to the ring and Spa and you played host to us?
Damn, sixteen years... You're welcome back anytime, you BOC.
Cunt.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Bloody good forum this.

Agree with all that’s being said.

Dave!
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

So sad - never met him but seen loads on the forum from him. 44 is no age. RIP.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Fvck, just seen this, how terrible. And at that age too... Loving the pictures and tales about him and those road trips you all went on.

Nice touch from the new owner of the car.

RIP man.
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Barry wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:24 am I've not had anything specific from his sister as yet but cancer research or the local hospice would all benefit from any donations for sure.

https://www.slhospice.co.uk/

The staff there were incredible with YK and those of us visiting, I've been involved with charity work for them over the years, they're an awesome bunch of people, doing good work. YKs final days were spent there.
Thanks, will make a donation there unless we want to do anything as a group?
Cheers,

Mike.
Simon_P

Post by Simon_P »

What truly awful news.
Marky911
Currently Driving: 1999 Volvo V70 T5
1998 Volvo V70 Non-turbo
2021 595 Abarth
2003 Porsche 996 GT3
1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9
2000 Yamaha R1

Post by Marky911 »

Afternoon ov9’ers.

Long post! Apologies, I didn’t realise until I got to the end.

It’s a shame to be signing up under such sad circumstances but Barry pointed me in the direction of this thread so I wanted to pop on.
Lovely comments and great pictures, I’m sure we all have so many.

My mate Craig and I met Yk online via the 911uk forum when he joined with his Carrera. So we are newbie imposters compared to you guys who knew him for years. ;)
I was also in a C2 at the time, having sold my first GT3.

Anyway after much commenting on each others threads and chatting via PM, one day Yk mentioned he was passing ours (Northumberland) on his way to do some driving in Scotland with some of the Scottish lads and would we like to tag along.

What a kind offer and naturally we said yes.
I’d actually done very little driving in Scotland up until then somehow, so we were really looking forward to it and what a trip it was.
Oh and by this time, thanks to working his arse off, Yk had progressed to his GT3, which he thoroughly deserved.

We met him on the Friday night in Scotland where he introduced us to Barry and Marv too (also great lads) and then the Scottish guys welcomed us on the Saturday morning.

I’d just like to say a belated thanks to those lads for showing us around your playground up there, I thought we had it good in Northumberland but it’s something else up there.
I only recognise Mik and the white Evora from the little avatar pics but I’m sure there’s a few more of you on here. There was a lad in a silver S1 Elise who wasn’t hanging about.
Anyway, nice lads and a lovely day. I can communicate better via written word than spoken, so apologies if we were a bit quiet in person. ;)

Here’s a pic where we met some of you at the start of the day (featuring the man himself).

Anyway that was a great day and weekend.
From the first time we met Yk, Barry and Marv at the hotel on the Friday night, they made us feel like part of the gang.
Yk was such a positive and enthusiastic lad. One of those guys that always seemed genuinely happy to see you when you turned up. Just a lovely lad.

That was to be the first of several great weekends away with YK and Co.
In fact as far as my car stuff goes in this country Yk was the main instigator for having stuff in the diary. I’m going to miss the adventures hugely and already feel a bit lost regarding future car stuff.

We did several Scotland trips and also a weekend in Wales after the 2019 RS day at Oulton, finishing with another trackday at Anglesey. I was between cars then having sold the C2 so we were in my mate Craig’s C2.
Coming out of the hotel one morning Yk threw me the keys to his GT3 and insisted I drove it to the next destination. As has been said on here he was so keen to spread the joy.
Needless to say it only cemented my “want” for another one.
I got back into one in 2019 and although Yk passed by mine on his way to Scotland that autumn I had just returned from a euro trip the week before, so had to sit it out.
He popped in anyway and it was good to compare cars.

Me, Craig and YK made it away together in 2020 during the various states of lockdown and had a great if wet NC500 trip. The plus side was completely empty roads.

As always Yk was a total pleasure. The rain never dampened his spirits even though I was whinging about needing a canoe not a car.
That pic of the deep fried Mars bar instantly took me back to that moment. We both tried one. It was in the pub/cafe at the Loch Ness visitors centre. We’d just finished a days driving and everything was closing at teatime so we ate there before heading back to our hotel.
He loved the stretch of road leading into/out of there.
Yk was always up for sampling the local grub and immersing himself in his surroundings.

A couple of pics of that trip.

What can I say about recent events then. Not much, it has knocked me for six to be honest.
I got a text of YK a on the Sunday after his diagnosis asking if he could ring instead of texting, which probably meant something was up, I guessed.
I had no idea about what was to come but knew he’d been expecting a diabetes diagnosis, from what we’d discussed earlier that month.
Only a week or two before, we had booked up for P’heads birthday bash at Bicester for August and he said he was having some tests etc.

Anyway he rang me and began telling me the news. I’ll be honest we were both in tears. It was the most upsetting phone conversation I’ve ever had and this is not at all about me here but just to add a bit of context I’ve had two cancer diagnosis myself and even hearing those words from your doctor is terrifying, let alone being in YK’s position with regard to how far on it was.
I still don’t know how he handled it so bravely.

He explained it was very far on and that the docs had said there was nothing they could do. They were talking months. That conversation is burned into my memory.
As you all know things deteriorated incredibly quickly. Yk kept in touch and also many thanks to Barry as he kept me updated at every stage as well.

Well, Barry messaged a couple of Fridays ago to say that Yk was being transferred to a hospice after an unsuccessful procedure in hospital and they were now talking weeks not months.
Me and my mate Craig hopped in the car on Saturday morning and headed down to Cheshire to see YK. Barry was there too which was good. It was crap to meet up under those circumstances but good to be together for a bit.

I won’t ramble on about the visit but we were glad to have gone. (Not “glad” as such, but you know what I mean.)
There were tears but there were smiles too.
We chatted about past and present and it was an important visit. (Again “important” isn’t the right word but…).

Even in that situation YK was his usual positive and honest self. He was pleased to have his finances sorted for his family and he said “Don’t be sad, I’ve had some amazing experiences and I’m at peace with it”.
He also said what Barry mentioned earlier “If there’s anything you want to do in life for yourself or your loved ones, then do it. Don’t wait as you never know what life has planned”.

So true.

Craig messaged Yk on the Sunday morning to say we’d got back no problem the night before and it had been good to see him, but he got no reply.
I spoke to Barry later that day and he said Yk had taken a turn for the worst during Sunday and they had called his family in.
Barry updated us on the Monday morning saying that Yk had passed away in the early hours with his family by his side.

Well, what can you say to that. Brutal.
YK didn’t want it to drag on though. Once he had his finances sorted which amazingly he did in the space of a week, he said as politely as ever “Sorry for you to have to hear this, but I’d happily go in my sleep now that everything is sorted”.
As much as that’s hard to hear it’s totally understandable and as he said he’d made his peace with it.
It was so typically Yk though to be more worried about the person hearing it than himself, the guy going through it.

He handled the whole thing like a proper hero. Again, I don’t know how he did it. Hard as nails.
It’s so horrible to lose anyone like that but once the outcome is known you don’t want people suffering.

Like many on here we lived miles away from Yk but kept in touch via text and forums a lot.
I wish I’d done more stuff with him but I’m so grateful for the things we did do.

He could have a good laugh, even at his own expense. I remember at one touristy place we were at, he was trying to get a decent picture. I’m sure some of you will remember he’d pull out this camera with a lens about 2 foot long.
Anyway he couldn’t get a clear shot due to all the English and Scottish tourists.
Being Chinese he said “Blimey, it’s usually my lot getting in the way for their photos”. :lol:

We had some great times and the post drive meals and beers in the hotel at night were always a good laugh with him and also Barry and Marv when they were there.

We meet thousands of people in life but only take a few along with us as we go.
Me and Craig feel lucky to have met Yk and shared in his passion of cars and driving.
As I’ve said in another thread. He was one of life’s good guys. Always positive, always pleasant and just a nice guy to be around. It’s a huge pity it ended too early.

RIP YK. You’ll be missed. :cry:

PS. Sorry for the essay. I was tempted to chop a load out but I wanted to mention it all.

PPS. Special mention to Barry for his friendship with Yk and for stepping up massively these last couple of months and taking care of him.
It must have been hard so take care of yourself. Speak soon.

I’m sure there are other friends I don’t know, who’ve helped to mind. I know he mentioned one or two who had taken him to hospital appointments etc. So well done if you’re reading.

Also, not entirely the time, but we are still doing Bicester in August so if any of you lads want to meet up for a beer or cuppa that would be good.
We are staying at Caffiene and Machine the night before. It will be bittersweet but it’s booked and is the last thing we planned with Yk.
Not sure peoples thoughts but a drive out each year in memory of him would definitely be something I’d be up for, but that can be discussed later.
I’ll certainly be remembering him in my own way if nothing is arranged.
Last edited by Marky911 on Mon May 08, 2023 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marky911
Currently Driving: 1999 Volvo V70 T5
1998 Volvo V70 Non-turbo
2021 595 Abarth
2003 Porsche 996 GT3
1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9
2000 Yamaha R1

Post by Marky911 »

Marv wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:55 pm Image

Been looking back on my old messages to YK, above is a more recent one he sent to me. Years ago we met up at Snetterton and almost straight away he offered to let me drive it on track. Being so rusty with driving on track, I said I'd drive it on the road if that's okay with him. This would be the second time I'd driven his GT3....he was keen on me seeing how much he'd improved it.

The first time I drove it we were on our way down through the Galloway forest park, he'd only recently bought it...it was tramlining all over the place. I was surprised he drove it almost all the trip without mentioning it :lol: He kept telling me to rev the engine harder and drive it properly, but I told him I was more worried about putting it in a ditch :lol: . After that trip he did his research and got the geometry and suspension settings properly sorted and put on a new set of tyres.

Snetterton was maybe a year later. I did a few passenger laps with him and as others have mentioned he was a bloody good driver. The GT3 was impressively rapid with him at the wheel 8-)

Onto my drive on the road and I was amazed with the difference. He was pretty proud on how much he'd transformed the car to work brilliantly on the road and track - just what a 911 GT3 should be! This time round, he was telling me to slow down, as it became apparent that doing 130mph just felt like it was 40.

On our first trip to Scotland when he had his ITR, IIRC he said to me and Duncs his aim was to eventually get a GT3...he saved so hard to get that car and really got the most out of it, and he always made sure that others would enjoy it too.

I'd like to think that he was a kindred spirit. We shared interest and enthusiasm in things away from cars too. He was different to me in other ways too, but for them differences I liked him even more.
Nicely put Marv. Hope you’re well.

Mark.