Tonight's Dinner

DeskJockey

Tonight's Dinner

Post by DeskJockey »

In memory of my mum who passed nine years ago today, and who loved France, I've made Poulet Breton served with baked potatoes (not jackets) and some lightly cooked broccoli.

I also made my first attempt at Crème Brulee which was both delicious and surprisingly easy to make. Need to get a chef's torch as controlling the caramelisation of the sugar on top is quite difficult under the grill. Kudos to Mrs DJ for saving Gu pudding ramekens for just such an eventuality.

Only downside is that it left me with a load of egg whites, but they became meringue by way of whisking, sugar and about two hours in a low oven.

What are you having?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Pete_

Re: Tonight's Dinner

Post by Pete_ »

Sounds delicious. What's the difference between a jacket potato and a roast potato though?
Delia Smith's Basque Chicken is the meal I make relatively often that reminds me of my mum, less often I do kedgeree.

Tonight I was in the office late and am far too tired to cook much so I'm just having pasta with tuna, chickpeas, tomato sauce and pesto.

Edit: I can't remember the actual date but it must be about eight years since my mum passed, it was one week after the Easter weekend.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

A roast potato is normally parboiled, then cooked in some kind of fat in the oven. A jacket is cooked in the skin in the oven, the ones I did today were peeled, then cooked in the oven. The latter two options are not very different really, but I use smaller spuds for the non-jacket ones.
---
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:25 pm A roast potato is normally parboiled, then cooked in some kind of fat in the oven. A jacket is cooked in the skin in the oven, the ones I did today were peeled, then cooked in the oven. The latter two options are not very different really, but I use smaller spuds for the non-jacket ones.
I know that's a roast potato but you said you were having a baked potato :P I mistyped in my reply!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Ah. Peeled versus unpeeled, and smaller versus larger is the answer.
---
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

That's a cool thing to do, and sounds tasty 8-)
Something Goldmemberish for me, except the smoking part.
mik

Post by mik »

Nice 😎

Little blowtorches are buttons and very useful.

We were going to get a carry out curry, but thought sod-it and went in instead. Mother India Lansdowne

We shared a fish pakora and a cauliflower and broccoli pakora for starters, and then I got the chilli garlic chicken. Every bit of it was absolutely superb 👍
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Grilled garlic prawns with grilled shiitake, onions and tomatoes alongside some basmati rice. I make a fake kimchi type dish with Chinese cabbage to go on the side. Washed down with a Brewdog *checks bin* Punk IPA which was pretty good.
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Dominos :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Peterlplp

Post by Peterlplp »

Day 2 of a 4 day Fiji Indian wedding so chapati and vege curries with loads of Indian sweets and kava.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I had to google Poule Breton and going to have a go at that next week. Pics would be 😎

Faggots and Peas here tonight, I'm not sure if it's a Welsh Butchers thing but I enjoy them.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

@Carlos picture doesn't really do it justice. I followed this recipe.
---
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I had a kitchen blowtorch for doing the top of brûlée until a couple of years ago. For some reason we found scorch marks all over the inside of the cupboard it lived in, and it no longer worked. My stepson denied knowledge but we all know he was too fascinated by it 😂
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:01 pm In memory of my mum who passed nine years ago today, and who loved France, I've made Poulet Breton served with baked potatoes (not jackets) and some lightly cooked broccoli.

I also made my first attempt at Crème Brulee which was both delicious and surprisingly easy to make. Need to get a chef's torch as controlling the caramelisation of the sugar on top is quite difficult under the grill. Kudos to Mrs DJ for saving Gu pudding ramekens for just such an eventuality.

Only downside is that it left me with a load of egg whites, but they became meringue by way of whisking, sugar and about two hours in a low oven.

What are you having?
I love the elegant simplicity of French cooking, because even though they can do fussy, they're also the best at simply allowing ingredients to be themselves.

Anyway, I was filming a batch of videos and I try to use food as props, which meant I had the following, in this order:

8 Meatballs with tomato sauce
Classic Magnum
Edamame bean salad
A bowl of bran flakes
A couple of squares of chocolate
A McDonalds double cheeseburger with extra pickles
Then I finished off the leftover curry from the previous night

This is why I workout every day :lol:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

@Gavster that's quite the meal.
---
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:13 am @Gavster that's quite the meal.
I’m also going to borrow your inspiration and make Poulet Breton, as I have a chicken in the fridge that needs cooking 👌
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Gavster wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:36 am
DeskJockey wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:13 am @Gavster that's quite the meal.
I’m also going to borrow your inspiration and make Poulet Breton, as I have a chicken in the fridge that needs cooking 👌
It is very easy. Most difficult bit is basting the chicken in butter "for several minutes". My chief concern was that there's no garlic in the recipe :shock:

Went down well with a glass or two of white wine (French natch).
---
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

As today would have been mum's 71st, we're carrying on with the nice dinners: Peppered duck with vanilla mash, pea & wild mushroom ragout, served with a nice Bordeaux red. Pics will follow.

What are you having?
---
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

---
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

It was lush !

Wine was very nice too and I've got Counting Crows on the stereo. Happy days save memories.
---