Budget

Broccers

Budget

Post by Broccers »

Looking forward to loads of positive news 😀

This published hike of corporation tax from 19 to 25 percent isn't straight forward I believe. You get marginal relief over 50k and it's still 19 up to this.

Might be wrong tho.

Also happy people on 125k are getting help with children care 😃😄

Anything else?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Budget

Post by Rich B »

Corporation tax hike will surely just lead to increase in costs to the end user?

Childcare costs have spiralled out of control to be honest. My boy is at school now, but in the 3-4 years he was at nursery the costs went from about £65 a day to £90 a day.

I don't think it's a bad idea extending the 15/30 hours "free", but I don't think it will fix the issue either, too many nurseries are closing because the figures don't work already, adding more demand into the system won't reduce the costs or magic up the required staff to work at min wage.
Last edited by Rich B on Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Between the childcare thing and the pension reform they're one stop away from taking to the streets with stun guns to get people back into offices :lol:
An absolute unit
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Rich B wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:58 am Childcare costs have spiralled out of control to be honest. My boy is at school now, but in the 3-4 years he was at nursery the costs went from about £65 a day to £90 a day.
fuckin' hell, was he in childcare every day?
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:58 am Corporation tax hike will surely just lead to increase in costs to the end user?
And to more companies moving activities out of the UK.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:00 am
Rich B wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:58 am Childcare costs have spiralled out of control to be honest. My boy is at school now, but in the 3-4 years he was at nursery the costs went from about £65 a day to £90 a day.
no, 3 days a week - my mrs wanted time with him but also wanted to maintain a career for when he went to school. She was in a decent paid job, but still it was a decision whether it's worthwhile her working.

That's the modern battle - we've rightfully pushed for equality, but this has naturally led to households requiring 2 incomes to pay the bills and also women not wanting to have to take a backward step in their career if they choose to have kids.

Increasing the demand will not bring the costs down, just make it harder to find childcare.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:06 am
Rich B wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:58 am Corporation tax hike will surely just lead to increase in costs to the end user?
And to more companies moving activities out of the UK.
Irelands going to be booming!!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Rich B wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:10 am
ZedLeg wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:00 am
no, 3 days a week - my mrs wanted time with him but also wanted to maintain a career for when he went to school. She was in a decent paid job, but still it was a decision whether it's worthwhile her working.

That's the modern battle - we've rightfully pushed for equality, but this has naturally led to households requiring 2 incomes to pay the bills and also women not wanting to have to take a backward step in their career if they choose to have kids.

Increasing the demand will not bring the costs down, just make it harder to find childcare.
Aye, it's a shame that we view any progress as an opportunity to gouge people more.
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I thought the free childcare thing was screwing over nurseries and in turn making many close with the fewer remaining ones charging way more. Which seems like a typically thought out government policy,
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:49 am I thought the free childcare thing was screwing over nurseries and in turn making many close with the fewer remaining ones charging way more. Which seems like a typically thought out government policy,
i expect there's some truth in that - there'll be a standard rate they can claim per hour, which doubtlessly don't take into account actual costs (which will vary wildly across the country), so some will need to subsidise those gov paid hours with more expensive fees for the rest.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:49 am I thought the free childcare thing was screwing over nurseries and in turn making many close with the fewer remaining ones charging way more. Which seems like a typically thought out government policy,
Our local one changed from private ownership where we regularly saw and spoke to the owner. Fantastic person and no issues.

Then got bought out by Busy Bees, prices went up massively and always complaining about the extra free hours.

They bought one in the next town over aswell.

ChildcAre has gone like a lot of vets practices, bought out and ripping you off.

Dave!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Their other "genius" idea regarding childcare (and I don't know if they're going to sign this off) is to reduce the number of staff required per X children, so that the costs are reduced.

Fucing right-o. So now Melody in the baby group has 8 screaming babies to look after all at once eh? Bullshit dreamt up by fuckwits that have probably never had any direct involvement in actual child care or parenting.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The government behave like that in every aspect to the point where it must be on purpose. You can’t mess things up so badly unintentionally!
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Broccers wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:25 am
This published hike of corporation tax from 19 to 25 percent isn't straight forward I believe. You get marginal relief over 50k and it's still 19 up to this.
It's pro-rata. What I can;t understand is that, to my mind, £250k profit isn't really that much. When they quizzed someone the other night about the impact this will have, they were talking about how such hikes are fairly inconsequential on the books of these large corporations. Totally missing the fact that £250k profit is not the realm of large organisations at all, but right in the SME bracket. And that's before you get to those who will now have to weigh up whether it's worth them making more than £50k profit a year...
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:16 pm
Broccers wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:25 am
It's pro-rata. What I can;t understand is that, to my mind, £250k profit isn't really that much. When they quizzed someone the other night about the impact this will have, they were talking about how such hikes are fairly inconsequential on the books of these large corporations. Totally missing the fact that £250k profit is not the realm of large organisations at all, but right in the SME bracket. And that's before you get to those who will now have to weigh up whether it's worth them making more than £50k profit a year...
You can also go back 3 years and put upto 40k in a pension so making a future loss will mean they get less and nothing moving forward. Them upping the max pension is an obvious way to pay no tax at all.

Absolutely incompetent.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Presumably that's an intentional ploy to appease the very small businesses?
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:12 pm
Our local one changed from private ownership where we regularly saw and spoke to the owner. Fantastic person and no issues.

Then got bought out by Busy Bees, prices went up massively and always complaining about the extra free hours.

They bought one in the next town over aswell.

ChildcAre has gone like a lot of vets practices, bought out and ripping you off.

Dave!
Yep, just bought pain killers for lab - £92 for 200ml. Same product online is £22! (Or £20 with repeat order) :evil:

This budget is just ground setting for the next (gen-election) one, isn’t it?
Cheers,

Ian
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:39 pm Presumably that's an intentional ploy to appease the very small businesses?
Possibly, but it's retarded. If you want to grow your business you'll want to retain some asset - a comfort margin in case you take on staff but the rate of business growth doesn't match up for a bit. If you've dumped it all in pensions that's not there - so your only option is to pay them a further 6%. It's actively discouraging entrepreneurship.
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

Money for potholes caught my eye on the BBC feed. Feels about time, it's really shocking how bad potholes seem to be at the moment. I'm finding I'm having to dodge multiple potholes every time I drive my car.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Defence getting exactly what it asked for.. gotta be a first!

Corp tax should be the same as income tax. No correlation between investing in business and tax: been proved many times. And it specifically offers relief for UK investments plus enhanced credit, so I’d be amazed if sme pay more tax this year.
Cheers,

Ian