Good socket set

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Good socket set

Post by Ascender »

When I was switching wheels yesterday, I ended up borrowing my neighbour's Britool socket set which is very nice indeed - its one of their old, big sets which is in great condition and I'm sure would go for hundreds on eBay.

What's a decent set to buy these days - something with the different sorts of handles, extenders, sockets, size converters, right angle extenders etc?
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Re: Good socket set

Post by mik »

As you will hardly ever use them, someone will suggest you must get Snap-On professional stuff. ;)

Halfords own-brand stuff still appears to get decent reviews. I am still using my dad's old Halfords socket set - must be at least 35yrs old now and is still doing fine. Despite the ratchet having seen a hammer a few times (yes I know you shouldn't do that). One socket broke in that time.

I've also been impressed by the impact-friendly Bahco sockets I got for the rattle-gun. I believe @scotta has some of their deep sockets too.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I have a fairly decent sized Halfords professional set, it’s great
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

@mik - what sort of rattle gun have you got? Again, after dicking around for way too long yesterday, I decided I should have one of those because I'm lazy.
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

So Halfords Professional is looking like a good bet. This could be a nice simple thread and purchase.

I'll wait for the wildcard suggestion to come in before ordering anything...
Cheers,

Mike.
scotta

Post by scotta »

jamcg wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:03 am I have a fairly decent sized Halfords professional set, it’s great
This - also lifetime guarantee. no quibble exchange.

https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-too ... =undefined

Keep an eye on their website as they have periodical discounts.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Ascender wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:16 am @mik - what sort of rattle gun have you got? Again, after dicking around for way too long yesterday, I decided I should have one of those because I'm lazy.
this is what you want.

https://www.dewalt.co.uk/product/dcf900 ... tid=572971
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Halfords is absolutely a safe bet.

I have a lot of Teng stuff which has also been good but two ratchets have failed on me, the little lever to select rightytighty/leftyloosey has broken and fallen off.

Rattle guns, I have a big old DeWalt for wheels and big stuff, and recently got a 3/8" Sealey that I'm very pleased with. Much more wieldy for smaller items.

https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/563718 ... -body-only

Available in various combo packs. I have the matching ratchet too.
mik

Post by mik »

scotta wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:21 am
Ascender wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:16 am @mik - what sort of rattle gun have you got? Again, after dicking around for way too long yesterday, I decided I should have one of those because I'm lazy.
this is what you want.

https://www.dewalt.co.uk/product/dcf900 ... tid=572971
Mine is the smaller brother DCF894. Lighter/smaller and therefore a bit more wieldy than the above, but only capable of around half the impact force. It's removed everything I've asked it to (including chunky and very tight hub nuts), but it's mid-range in terms of capability.

edit: make sure you select a decent sized battery (like 4aH plus).
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

I've had a Halfords professional set for around 20 years which still works perfectly. Looking at their website, it seems the design hasn't really changed, so probably still a good bet.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Halfords socket set with nice long 1/2” ratchet.
Some alloy wheel sockets, kinder to alloys and very cheap.
Torque wrench.

Dave!
tim

Post by tim »

My Halfords Pro set that I bought when I built my Caterham in 2003 is still like new to use.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

scotta wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:19 am This - also lifetime guarantee. no quibble exchange.

https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-too ... =undefined

Keep an eye on their website as they have periodical discounts.
I've got this one too and it's been excellent. I bought it when I got the 928 and it's given great service. Well worth the investment.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I’ve got one of the big Halfords sets, usually in the £150 - £200 price bracket.

No complaints, manages a vast amount of the day to day spannering I do.
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

This one in fact
https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-too ... 35831.html

Even includes a 7mm Allen key for the pesky bmw calliper slider bolts.
Cheers, Harry
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

That's pretty conclusive then, thanks everyone.

I can't remember this sort of mass agreement on here about anything, ever.
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I have a Makita 14v impact wrench and it's nice to have, but doesn't have the torque to undo even normally torqued-up wheel bolts (despite the spec saying it's capable). I have seen a video on Youtube showing that these battery devices don't match the specs unless you have a bigger capacity battery pack on them, though I don't have any different sizes for mine; I just use it for the boring thread turning part and at least have no risk of doing the bolts up so tightly they won't come undone :lol:

On the basis of my experience though, I'd say Scott probably knows what he's talking about - racers put on and take off wheels all the time. Just make sure you get a decent sized battery.

ETA: and that Halfords set looks a nice update from my old set which sat in flood water for a bit so is slightly stained - with the impact driver attachments and sockets it's a lot more useful to me than my old one. Might upgrade.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

All the sockets are 6 pointers too, my really ancient set were 12s which isn’t great on crusty old bolts.
Cheers, Harry
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I also need to get a low profile, simple jack as it turns out we couldn't find one anywhere yesterday for the front of the car where the trolley jack is too high to get under. And of course the chock block things for changing tyres on the trailer were nowhere to be seen!
Cheers,

Mike.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Halfords do a basic low profile trolley Jack for £55

https://www.halfords.com/tools/garage-w ... 57099.html