Good socket set

integrale_evo

Re: Good socket set

Post by integrale_evo »

It depends how much you want to spend and what you want to use it for.

I have a sealey 2001 low entry like this ( but mines green )
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325573218055 ... media=COPY

It’s a big heavy beast, but super stable, goes lower than my old low entry Halfords one so fits under my silly cars easily, but also lifts high enough to get the x5 wheels well clear of the ground. Feels like it’ll last a lifetime with my moderate use.

Not very portable though 😅
Cheers, Harry
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Looks like this thread is done and dusted, FWIW my Halfords set is still spot on after 15 years of light use.

I am interested in the result gun chat though.

... and the low entry jack chat for that matter. Had a lightweight thing for years, but it doesn't really fill me with confidence.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I think my new dewalt 1300nm dugga dugga gun is broken. With a 5ah battery it couldn't undo all my wheel bolts but when I went to undo them by hand it wasn't even that tough. The 8ah battery for it costs £120 which is firmly in fvck off territory. They do a 10ah battery too which seems to be a US thing only. It should still have more torque than a new W12 Bentley but it's no match for my well exercised left arm.
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

jamcg wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:44 pm Halfords do a basic low profile trolley Jack for £55

https://www.halfords.com/tools/garage-w ... 57099.html
I have that one. A real strength is that it is relatively light and easy to move around. It is indeed pretty low profile, but the arm is a bit short, and the pivot point quite tall, so whilst it is low enough, it won't reach far enough in to get to the front jacking point on the Evora. If I want the front in the air then I use it to jack the rear up enough for me to get a conventional jack under the front.

For at least 100yrs I've planned to get something superior - see jack envy, but I always seem to be daydreaming when they pop up at a good discount, and invariably I decide that - for the occaisional use it would get - my money would be better spent on something else. :?
mik

Post by mik »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:34 pm I think my new dewalt 1300nm dugga dugga gun is broken yada yada
Don't you have another battery you can bang in and assess whether it is driver or battery?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

mik wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:21 am
Mito Man wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:34 pm I think my new dewalt 1300nm dugga dugga gun is broken yada yada
Don't you have another battery you can bang in and assess whether it is driver or battery?
I have 4 5ah batteries so I don’t think it’s those. I don’t actually know if the driver is working as it should or not, I just expected wrist snapping torque even with 5ah.
mik

Post by mik »

@Mito Man Doesn't sound right - 5ah is ample and whilst I can't remember what model you got - 1300nm should be a pretty hard hitter. Stoopid question, but you do have it on the highest setting? (mine has 3 levels, I think Scott's monster one has 4).
scotta

Post by scotta »

mik wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:35 am @Mito Man Doesn't sound right - 5ah is ample and whilst I can't remember what model you got - 1300nm should be a pretty hard hitter. Stoopid question, but you do have it on the highest setting? (mine has 3 levels, I think Scott's monster one has 4).
5ah battery on mine. many duggas available on request. Are you using it on a long socket or on an extension bar? extension bar looses some of the torque IME.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

mik wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:03 am
jamcg wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:44 pm Halfords do a basic low profile trolley Jack for £55

https://www.halfords.com/tools/garage-w ... 57099.html
I have that one. A real strength is that it is relatively light and easy to move around. It is indeed pretty low profile, but the arm is a bit short, and the pivot point quite tall, so whilst it is low enough, it won't reach far enough in to get to the front jacking point on the Evora. If I want the front in the air then I use it to jack the rear up enough for me to get a conventional jack under the front.

For at least 100yrs I've planned to get something superior - see jack envy, but I always seem to be daydreaming when they pop up at a good discount, and invariably I decide that - for the occaisional use it would get - my money would be better spent on something else. :?
That looks ideal. Look at how low you can go! And the massive pad for the jack points! Sign me up!
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

scotta wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:59 am
mik wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:35 am @Mito Man Doesn't sound right - 5ah is ample and whilst I can't remember what model you got - 1300nm should be a pretty hard hitter. Stoopid question, but you do have it on the highest setting? (mine has 3 levels, I think Scott's monster one has 4).
5ah battery on mine. many duggas available on request. Are you using it on a long socket or on an extension bar? extension bar looses some of the torque IME.
Yes had to use an extension bar. And it was on the highest setting. I’ll have to do more investigating.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I have a 1600 NM (hahahahahaha) Makita and with 2 extensions it did a 540NM bolt with relative ease.

I don’t expect it to do more than half the rated torque figure, all of them are in fantasy land imo. This test has the same model Makita I have.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LTsB1IsysU8

When we do a flywheel bolt up to 1450 nm I’m hanging off a 6 foot torque wrench. These would just make noise and do nothing.

Dave!
scotta

Post by scotta »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:33 am
scotta wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:59 am
Yes had to use an extension bar. And it was on the highest setting. I’ll have to do more investigating.
I tried to use a wobble bar extension to undo some wheel studs on dads Tiguan. It wouldn't undo until i swapped it for the long socket. soon as i did that it zipped off.
scotta

Post by scotta »

25% off socket sets this weekend.
mik

Post by mik »

Just received a set of these off ebay for less than £16, which seems like a decent price for deep, plastic covered thin-wall alloy-wheel impact sockets from a reputable brand in a little (soft) case. (Before you ask @Rich B - I believe they are Series6 :geek: ).

That's not a library image for @Jimmy Choo

Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

mik wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:41 pm

:D

Library picture
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

mik wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:41 pm Just received a set of these off ebay for less than £16, which seems like a decent price for deep, plastic covered thin-wall alloy-wheel impact sockets from a reputable brand in a little (soft) case. (Before you ask @Rich B - I believe they are Series6 :geek: ).

My nuts are too big :(
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Don’t worry Mito, only the cool kids have 27mm nuts.

Dave!
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

The 360 annoyingly needs a 22mm socket :roll: Italians :roll:
mik

Post by mik »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:53 pm My nuts are too big :(
Also shows pictures of his wood.

And (now) has a 25" chopper.

I declare you to be the real Finbar Saunders, AICMFP.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Ahhhh, Finbarr (double 'r'). By a stretch - a long one - my favourite Viz character.