Brexit

Mito Man

Re: Brexit

Post by Mito Man »

And a lot of those companies are making massive profits because they're energy based.
Hang on, maybe Brexit started the Ukraine war :shock: :shock: :shock:
How about not having a sig at all?
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:23 pm
Mito Man wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:10 pm FTSE100 is a poor measure of UK economy anyway as over 2/3 of its sales are from overseas. Just means that companies which are listed here are having a good time abroad.
Largely because those overseas profits are in dollars (or whatever) and are now a higher number in £ because Sterling has tanked and we have nearly 10% inflation. It needs to have gone up 10% just to - effectively - break even.
Good point about inflation. Food and non-acoholic beverages was at 16.7% in Jan, the highest since 1977. So it's true, some things really are thriving, it's very rare that we get such record-breaking inflation 8-) we might hit an ATH :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

It's interesting how the food thing appears to be a bit random. 2 weeks ago I couldn't get green beans, last week, no problem. 2 weeks ago, plenty of Broccoli, last week none. This week it's cucumber, peppers and tomato's but loads of Greens...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I was half tempted to make a moaning thread about it but last week I went into Tesco to grab a bite for lunch. I see this great fat cvnt with a trolley almost brimmed with broccoli and lettuce. This twat probably never had a piece of veg in his life. This was just as news came out the day before that Morrisons were limiting vegetables :roll:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I hope someone told him how long fresh veg lasts! :lol: Not much point in panic buying more than you can eat.

According to our local market trader there is no shortage of tomatoes etc. he claims it's just that the costs have gone above what supermarkets are willing to pay (or pass on to the customers I suppose). Seems like there might be some sort of stand off going on. I guess he would say that as he's no doubt anti-supermarket, but equally he was fully stocked... so who knows.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Is it the CEO of Tesco, or someone else pretty high up their food chain who comes on the news every few months, complains that their bleeding money because they’re absorbing so much more costs, then their profits are announced and they’ve doubled :roll:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:43 pm I hope someone told him how long fresh veg lasts! :lol: Not much point in panic buying more than you can eat.

According to our local market trader there is no shortage of tomatoes etc. he claims it's just that the costs have gone above what supermarkets are willing to pay (or pass on to the customers I suppose). Seems like there might be some sort of stand off going on. I guess he would say that as he's no doubt anti-supermarket, but equally he was fully stocked... so who knows.
Same locally to us. No issues with supplies inot the local stores/markets/veg boxes - just supermarkets struggling. Ah well.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:25 pm
Broccers wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:16 pm I am looking forward to the total sell out later today tho
Oh, do tell.
Check news.

Actually wasn't that bad on the face of it.

I'm happy with the chipping away and shaping the future. Rome wasn't built in a day 😃
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:08 pm
duncs500 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:43 pm I hope someone told him how long fresh veg lasts! :lol: Not much point in panic buying more than you can eat.

Same locally to us. No issues with supplies inot the local stores/markets/veg boxes - just supermarkets struggling. Ah well.
It's just bad planning by supermarket chains and their unwillingness to pay a decent amount for supply.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Yup, supermarkets are really screwing us at the moment. They have upper price caps which they refuse to break and would rather have empty shelves than pay more. Normally, they would switch to other suppliers who can supply within that price range, however, we as a country are now the least attractive customer in all of Europe because of all the hassle getting food here, so EU suppliers literally cannot be fucked to send produce to the UK. Hence we get empty shelves.

Same with eggs. The only reason we have egg shortages is that packers and supermarkets won't increase their rates for producers, so producers stopped producing. We're on the cusp of exactly the same for milk too, processors have just reduced their price to farmers this month.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Broccers wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:12 pm

It's just bad planning by supermarket chains and their unwillingness to pay a decent amount for supply.
It's not about planning, but it is about unwillingness to pay.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Gavster wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:13 pm
Broccers wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:12 pm

It's not about planning, but it is about unwillingness to pay.
Yes planning ahead to avoid empty shelves.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Broccers wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:11 pm
Broccers wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:16 pm I am looking forward to the total sell out later today tho
Oh, do tell.
Check news.

FTSE100 is up 0.7% today. FTSE250 up nearly 1%. What news are you looking at ?

Screenshot 2023-02-27 171635.jpg
Screenshot 2023-02-27 171635.jpg (167.96 KiB) Viewed 349 times
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:17 pm
Broccers wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:11 pm
Oh, do tell.
Check news.

FTSE100 is up 0.7% today. FTSE250 up nearly 1%. What news are you looking at ?

Screenshot 2023-02-27 171635.jpg
Not sure what you're on about. Talking about ni deal today.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

This. We were talking about FTSE. It wasn’t clear you’d changed topics.
Broccers wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:16 pm
Mito Man wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:10 pm FTSE100 is a poor measure of UK economy anyway as over 2/3 of its sales are from overseas. Just means that companies which are listed here are having a good time abroad.
OK so if it went down then that would be because of Brexit, yes? :lol:

I am looking forward to the total sell out later today tho, meds at the ready :D
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:32 pm This. We were talking about FTSE. It wasn’t clear you’d changed topics.

I am looking forward to the total sell out later today tho, meds at the ready :D
We're talking about Brexit. There was no FTSE news today. Is this really that difficult? Oh yes it is as I'm being trolled 😃💪
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Broccers wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:35 pm We're talking about Brexit. There was no FTSE news today. Is this really that difficult?

You were talking about FTSE:

Is this really that difficult ?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I guess so.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Gavster wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:12 pm Yup, supermarkets are really screwing us at the moment. They have upper price caps which they refuse to break and would rather have empty shelves than pay more. Normally, they would switch to other suppliers who can supply within that price range, however, we as a country are now the least attractive customer in all of Europe because of all the hassle getting food here, so EU suppliers literally cannot be fucked to send produce to the UK. Hence we get empty shelves.

Same with eggs. The only reason we have egg shortages is that packers and supermarkets won't increase their rates for producers, so producers stopped producing. We're on the cusp of exactly the same for milk too, processors have just reduced their price to farmers this month.
It’s because they absolutely screw the growers.

Supermarkets say we want all your tomatoes, then when it’s a deal or an offer the grower has to take the hit. Now add that at any point they can refuse an order then they are double screwed, plus the cost of having to get rid of a load.

Dave!