Bye bye Sturgeon

dinny_g

Re: Bye bye Sturgeon

Post by dinny_g »

True - you have to consume news from several different sources these days and make up your own mind
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:11 pm True - you have to consume news from several different sources these days and make up your own mind
And that's the issue. Today's society (sweeping generalisation) seem unwilling/unable/too lazy to do so. They just seem to latch on to something that's on social media that presumably is lined-up with their own beliefs or wishes and then back that to the hilt without even considering there might be an alternative position.
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Ascender wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:42 pm
dinny_g wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:11 pm True - you have to consume news from several different sources these days and make up your own mind
And that's the issue. Today's society (sweeping generalisation) seem unwilling/unable/too lazy to do so. They just seem to latch on to something that's on social media that presumably is lined-up with their own beliefs or wishes and then back that to the hilt without even considering there might be an alternative position.
how very presumptuous of you - have you studied all members of society to form this view?...
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:47 pm
how very presumptuous of you - have you studied all members of society to form this view?...
No, but someone on twitter said it.

This is all playing out very strangely. Kate Forbes has stated the views of her religion - she's not once said she would be looking to repeal any laws as a result - and she seems to be getting hammered from all sides.

Meanwhile, the religious views of the other two candidates have not been mentioned or even questioned.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Ascender wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:04 am
Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:47 pm

This is all playing out very strangely. Kate Forbes has stated the views of her religion - she's not once said she would be looking to repeal any laws as a result - and she seems to be getting hammered from all sides.

Meanwhile, the religious views of the other two candidates have not been mentioned or even questioned.
I think it's fair to question someone's suitability for such a position when they're openly part of quite an extreme religious group. I would expect the others to get grilled if they were against lgbtqi+ equality.
An absolute unit
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Forbes and Humza Yousaf have both basically said the same thing - that their religious views won't determine how they would legislate, but up here certainly, Forbes seems to be the one getting all the flak about it.
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:09 am
Ascender wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:04 am
Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:47 pm how very presumptuous of you - have you studied all members of society to form this view?...

I think it's fair to question someone's suitability for such a position when they're openly part of quite an extreme religious group. I would expect the others to get grilled if they were against lgbtqi+ equality.
But they don't. The religious beliefs of Christians are scrutinised to an extent that just doesn't happen with anyone of any other religious beliefs. Happened to Tim Farron as well.

We all know why that is.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Don't do that, it makes you look like a knuckle dragger. If you look at a person's voting record and there's a clear pattern of voting against progressive policy that goes against your religious beliefs then there should be questions asked.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:22 am Don't do that, it makes you look like a knuckle dragger. If you look at a person's voting record and there's a clear pattern of voting against progressive policy that goes against your religious beliefs then there should be questions asked.
I don't disagree that questions should be asked, and I struggle to understand how someone can keep their beliefs from influencing their politics in even the smallest of ways - it's human nature. But can you cite any examples of anyone of any other religious belief having their beliefs questioned to the same extent?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

This is just imo but I don't think people are questioning her beliefs in the sense that they think she should change them, it's more that people are asking whether someone with those beliefs is suitable for public office.

The same questions have been asked of about 2/3rds of the recent Westminster cabinet. I'm not sure how much of that was based on religion and how much is based on those people all sucking.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I guess there's two sides to it. One, people/party don't want to be represented or led by someone with views that are outdated and might cloud judgement or reduce votes. Then there's the second element of someone who can't deal with standard questioning by the press without looking like an arse. The second one is probably harder for women because the press can be harsher on them I think.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Its a mix of a few things... how its being reported... how it could be seen that they appear to be treating someone differently for their gender and/or religion... and there's some party spin in there too - the SNP will have a favourite candidate in mind.
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Is someone who believes in a sky fairy even fit to run for public office? That's a massive red flag right there.
Just look at the crazy crap that's happening in America the past few years...
How about not having a sig at all?
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Big story rumoured to be breaking tomorrow.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Zonda_ wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:01 pm Big story rumoured to be breaking tomorrow.
Seems to be a bit of a damp squib - can't see anything has appeared.

There must be a reason for her to rush the announcement though; if she's been thinking for a while about the future, she didn't need to surprise her own party and the press with a hastily arranged announcement. So I'm expecting something to come out.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, I'm still expecting it to be more stuff about her husband's "loan" to the party.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

It was only a matter of time…

Nicola Sturgeon's husband Peter Murrell arrested in SNP finance probe https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-65187823
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye, looks like the end is nigh for them.

She really held on until the last second if she knew this was coming though.
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

What's the view on the new guy up there @ZedLeg? Can't say I've seen much of him yet.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

A bit of a non entity tbh. Possibly the best of a bad lot but if I'm being honest, by the time it got to voting for them I preferred Kate Forbes. Even with her religious stuff and fairly tory economic thinking.

He's had his fair share of stupid scandals and bad press but he was clearly the favoured candidate by the outgoing leadership.
An absolute unit