The Big Light

mik

The Big Light

Post by mik »

Of course it goes back to the days when you had a pendant light in the middle of every room, but even in rooms where we now have (multiple obvs) downlighters, we will ask each other “do you want the big light on?” In preference to lamps. We are teh stoopids. :?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: The Big Light

Post by Rich B »

If we can solve this, I'm certain we can solve world hunger and war next.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

mik wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:48 am Of course it goes back to the days when you had a pendant light in the middle of every room, but even in rooms where we now have (multiple obvs) downlighters, we will ask each other “do you want the big light on?” In preference to lamps. We are teh stoopids. :?
I have 2 pendants in my living room. They’re smart bulbs and Alexa turns them on to the comment “big lights on”
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Mrs Newt has weaned me off using the big light. To the extent that I now find it harsh and prefer the table lamps even though they are fiddly and harder to turn on.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Hotels need to figure this one out, normally I need every lamp on in them for it to be light in the evening. They are incredibly shit at this.

Dave!
Last edited by V8Granite on Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Main lights dimmed, led strip light on for whore house ambience.
How about not having a sig at all?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:39 pm whore house ambience.
"Tonight in session..." [/John Peel]
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:30 pm Mrs Newt has weaned me off using the big light. To the extent that I now find it harsh and prefer the table lamps even though they are fiddly and harder to turn on.
Smart plugs are ace for this, just leave the fiddly switch alone and use Alexa or Google to turn them on and off
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Is there smart tech to do the lighting equivalent of climate control in the car, or audio where you can adjust the listening position and the tone is tweaked to suit the environment? Some tunnels alter the lighting to suit the time of day and weather (maybe not Monaco), is there a controller to do similar in the home?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Smart lighting is the only answer 😁
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

jamcg wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:50 pm
Explosive Newt wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:30 pm Mrs Newt has weaned me off using the big light. To the extent that I now find it harsh and prefer the table lamps even though they are fiddly and harder to turn on.
Smart plugs are ace for this, just leave the fiddly switch alone and use Alexa or Google to turn them on and off
I've got my living room and bedroom lamps set to do this. Unfortunately my voice went when I had Covid last week and life got fiddly again.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

The main lights in our living room are setup in HomeKit as "the big light", so even the kids know them as such now. One of those weird things that will continue for at least one more generation I guess....
Cheers,

Mike.