Linked In Scams

dinny_g

Linked In Scams

Post by dinny_g »

I'm getting more and more messages from randoms who've "Seen my Profile and would like to engage me as a consultant to discuss X, Y and Z. Please reach out and we can agree a Rate for your time" etc.

Just a Agent scam to get in introduction ??
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Re: Linked In Scams

Post by Gavster »

That's curious, either it's a devious sales hook, or you're missing out on a load of extra consultancy work :lol:

I've never had that line, and I'm quite active on linkedIn. Get loads of usual cold sales outreach, but never with that line.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Looking at this one in particular...

https://www.arbolus.com/

The seem to be monetising information. Quite how they expect to make money of me is wonder - there can't be much money in "jumping to the wrong conclusions" and "making spelling mistakes". :lol:

Company
Our DNA: making human knowledge digital
Arbolus was founded in 2018 in London by Sam Glasswell and Will Leeming, two entrepreneurs with previous experience in helping scale a $1bn company.

Both saw a huge opportunity to disrupt an analog industry with the use of powerful technology that would ultimately benefit both the most forward-thinking companies and industry professionals that choose to collaborate with them.

Since then, we have opened offices in Barcelona , New York and Gurgaon (India) and have grown to 150+ employees (and counting).

Arbolus has recently closed a Series-A of about $20M and has been growing at least 3x annually.

I've had 4 of 5 in the past 3 months
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I deleted my LinkedIn account about a month ago. Apart from the fact its turned in to Facebook and one big circle jerk with everyone telling each other how great they are, I was struggling to remember a single concrete contract offer I've ever had through it. In 20 years.

Of course, maybe I've just been doing it wrong.
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

Ascender wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:01 am I deleted my LinkedIn account about a month ago. Apart from the fact its turned in to Facebook and one big circle jerk with everyone telling each other how great they are
Always has been. I have given one recommendation over the last umpty-dumpty years for this reason - they are worthless.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I don't use linkedin but I must have a listing on our company page or something as folk keep finding me, I got one of those consultancy emails the other day to my work email, went in the bin with the rest of the spam :lol:
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I get a load of crap on Linkedin; I don't use it generally but have a profile to enable me to look people up.

Every day there's somebody who sends a request to connect with a message that starts something like, "I'm looking to expand my network with innovative… " - fortunately the e-mail notification truncates it so I don't need to read their whole spiel before deleting it :lol:
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

I'm this close 🤏 to signing by biggest retainer contract and that was through cold outreach on LinkedIn, so I'm sticking with it for now!
tim

Post by tim »

I've had fairly substantial business out of Linkedin over the years, but I hate it for the never-ending spam and wanky self-promotion.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I don't actively read or post but I have a profile and I've had at least three contracts as a result of recruiters finding me on there.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Linked in is very useful when recruiting, I've had plenty of recruiters sending over "amended" CVs which when checked against LinkedIn has live saved me the hassle of interviewing crap or inexperienced people.

Otherwise it's full of:

- dull "CEOs" of shitty little start ups telling everyone how humble they are.
- people sharing how their dead family member has inspired them.
- some useful insights into what the competition are doing.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Rich B wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:29 pm
- dull "CEOs" of shitty little start ups telling everyone how humble they are.
I swear the majority of "Founder and CEO" job titles are digital nomads working on their own with a 'team' which is exclusively freelancers based in India or Pakistan sourced from Fiverr, while their 'startup' is based in a $500/month apartment in Chiang Mai because they can't actually afford California or NYC rents without moving back home with their parents.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Ive had a lot of interviews and jobs through linkedin. My current permy position came through contact on linkedin as a result of a tech blog i wrote on Intune. Its very useful imo.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

I get loads of spam through linkedin, either people wanting me to pay through the roof to attend a (probably nonexistent) conference, or join some crappy locum agency.

I usually ask them to take me to somewhere Michellin starred to discuss it over dinner and I never seem to hear back...
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

/r/LinkedInLunatics is amazing. Genuinely unbelievable that people decide to post this stuff.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

It's interesting watching the posts of linkedin lunatics when you know that "in the real world" their careers are tanking. I know a chap who burned his bridges in Oxford, moved to Manchester and was generally hated so went across the pond to Boston to work for a biotech startup... which went bust in 3 weeks.

His most recent post was showing how he had bought matching jerseys for his team.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Matty wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:38 pm

/r/LinkedInLunatics is amazing. Genuinely unbelievable that people decide to post this stuff.
Thank you, this is my new favourite subreddit and main source of work avoidance.
Cheers,

Mike.
tim

Post by tim »

Oh god, that's my weekend gone...!
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Indeed;

Gavster

Post by Gavster »

There's so much i could say about this :lol: Insecurity is the driving force of the attention economy, and that seems to drive people into walking straight over all kinds of boundaries.

Anyway, I'm off to that subreddit, see you next week :lol: