Strikes

teacherboy

Re: Strikes

Post by teacherboy »

Simon wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:32 pm They say it's not about the pay so much, but that schools are telling them to give pay rises out of the general budget for the school, which means that other areas suffer, such as equipment, SEN teachers, etc etc. They want to see a general increase in school budgets, not just a teacher pay rise.
This - any pay awards that have been made over the past decade have been from existing funding - there has been no new funding so schools have less money to pay for essential supplies, support staff, utility bills etc etc.

Add that to the fact we've had consistently below inflation pay awards added to previous pay freeze for 4 - 5 years means we've taken a real terms pay cut of between 15 - 24% depending on experience (if i remember the numbers correctly from the union blurb), worked during the pandemic and were not furloughed to sit on asses doing whatever on 80% salary but had to instantly become digital learning experts overnight (at least in my school we did and i took it a step further by investing in decent microphone and camera to make it a better experience for those logging in).

I'm in NEU and did go out today and would normally be 10 mins from dismissing final class of day before prepping for tomorrows lessons - all on my own time, we don't get overtime and we (contrary to public belief) don't get paid holidays - just that our salary is spread over the 12 months, plus unless we take an unpaid sabatical we don't get to choose when we can go on holiday and as such will always get shafted on prices - and yes i'm aware that plenty of others suffer the same fate due to being conscientious about education but plenty will risk the fine as it's waaaay cheaper than the increase in holiday prices and likely a lot less crowded and thus more enjoyable.

Personally i'd have preferred to not strike but enough is enough, we've had pensions eroded, salary eroded, onerous criteria to meet imposed, decreased support for SEN pupils due to lack of funding, academisation sucking funds out and into inflated CEO salaries blah blah blah bah

Oh and my subject (Physics) only recruited 5% of it's needed teachers last year.... Teaching needs to be more attractive as a long term career in order to get quality recruits into profession who will in turn enthuse pupils and hopefully drive uptake of those subjects at A-Level and degree level.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

teacherboy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:00 pm
Oh and my subject (Physics) only recruited 5% of it's needed teachers last year.... Teaching needs to be more attractive as a long term career in order to get quality recruits into profession who will in turn enthuse pupils and hopefully drive uptake of those subjects at A-Level and degree level.
That's another thing a lot of people don't consider, if you want to attract decent teachers then you need to pay for decent people. If salaries are bottom of the barrel that'll put people off from getting into teaching unless they can't do anything else with their degree.

Governments take the piss with the more "vocational" jobs because they know that a lot of the people who are there want to be there for the work rather than the pay. We'll get to the point where they'll have enough and leave the profession though and they won't attract new people with shite wages.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

teacherboy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:00 pmworked during the pandemic and were not furloughed to sit on asses doing whatever on 80% salary but had to instantly become digital learning experts overnight
those points aren't going to get much sympathy. Most of us weren't furloughed, most of us carried on working whilst looking after/teaching our kids at the same time.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Not to be one to have a go at Teachers who, in general, do a brilliant job but that is correct. I wasn't furloughed and also, had to learn how to do my job remotely in the space of about a week.

My salary hasn't increased in real terms over the past 5 years but I have a lot more responsibility so it could be argued, has reduced. Many of my benefits have been eroded away over time and I buy my own IT kit - Headsets, mice, Keyboards for home and hot desking in the office and a second screen for home.

As soon as I'm unhappy with this, I'll move but I'm not there yet.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Fire crews offered 1000 quid for a minimum of 1 hour work in 24 hours. Seems one way to encourage people not to strike.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Cheers,

Ian
Beany

Post by Beany »

Already gone, whatever it was.
mik

Post by mik »

"You’re unable to view this Tweet because this account owner limits who can view their Tweets. Learn more"