Which Grand Prix race to go and watch in person?

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Which Grand Prix race to go and watch in person?

Post by Ascender »

My daughter has started watching Grand Prix and while I’d love to take the credit, it’s nothing to do with me or a boyfriend apparently. We were talking about going to see a race this year and making a road trip of it..

So, as someone who has only had a fleeting interest in it in recent years, which race would you recommend trying to get tickets for this year?
Cheers,

Mike.
8Ball

Re: Which Grand Prix race to go and watch in person?

Post by 8Ball »

From personal experience: Monza.

It's close enough to Milan that you can stay there and add a bit of a city break to it and get a wider selection of restaurants etc. It's then a short train ride to Monza with a shuttle bus, and a walk through the park to the track with the other fans. Not sure if it's still the case but when I went in 2010 Thursday was an open pit day so the tickets got you in there and you could see them setting up and Friday and Saturday where roaming grandstands so you could wander round and watch practice & qualifying from different spots. I had the added bonus of Alonso winning for Ferrari and there was a massive build up of vans at all the marshall points ready to storm the track once he crossed the line, and a great atmosphere on the way back to Milan.

Other experiences where Singapore and Montreal, both similar experiences but somewhat more expensive than Monza
mik

Post by mik »

I only have one experience of F1 in person - at Silverstone. It was mobbed, and you watch most of the race on one of the big screens, seeing one or maybe two corners "live", but from quite a distance for Elf & Safety reasons. I was underwhelmed. And embarressed at the cheers every time Lewis passed, and the boos every time Rosberg went past (team mates at the time obvs) - it was pathetic behaviour for grown adults..

I know she probably only has eyes for F1, but if you want to see close-up racing then there are far better options at lower levels IMHO.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Haven't been to European Tracks apart from Silverstone which much like Mik I didn't enjoy enough to visit again. I reckon Austria would be good fun as long as you can avoid the Orange Twat Army - nice track built into the side of a hill so you may see the cars for more than 2 corners and the grandstands are right by the track. Plus lots of laps so no waiting 90 seconds for them to come round again and the sprint race.
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I’ve also watched it at Silverstone (in 2000, when the British GP was brought forward to Easter for some reason) and felt the same as Mik. I’d not bother going there again.

Have heard people say the Hungaroring was good but that was a while ago. I think I’d only be interested in going to Monaco now; the fact you can’t see much of the action should be offset by the atmosphere.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Ticket prices would be a factor.

Belgium fairly reasonable

https://tickets.formula1.com/en/f1-3286 ... ion-bronze
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I too have done Silverstone and wouldn't go again.

I would try F1 again at another track and one that I'd drive to and camp, so anywhere else in Europe essentially.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Yeah, the whole spectator thing about F1 has been something I’ve wondered about - seems like one of those sports that The armchair viewer gets a much better view of the overall race and what’s going on. It’s weird how F1 has hooked her in, but maybe does need a bit more thought.

I did wonder if there were other tickets/packages available to break things up over the weekend. She also wants to take the car to Knockhill so not all is lost.
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

There’s a big concert after the race with at least 1 famous act - I’m not sure if it’s at every track though. You also have some other support races throughout the day which are usually more entertaining. Sometimes they’ll throw in a historic F1 car just to remind you what a decent engine sounded like. Sunday is pretty much a full day.

I always thought the worst aspect of F1 races was the build up to the actual F1 race. There’s a bullshit 2+ hour phase where nothing happens. Rubbish drivers parade, followed by nothing for an hour. Then they come out and do “installation laps” before eventually going to the grid. Another 45 mins of pissing about on the grid so the celebrities can be a cvnt to Brundle. More bullshit ceremonies and eventually they get to the formation lap.
Just bin that shit.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Another Silverstone veteran here, although with a slightly different experience.

I went around 2010 with a friend who worked in sports hospitality, she had managed to get some spare hospitality passes, so we had full access and a free bar, got to meet Kasabian, plus were able to watch the racing from a nice terrace which was (IIRC) inside the track. It was definitely nicer than sitting on a grass bank outside the track, which I have vague memories of doing with my dad in the 80s. Despite all that, it's still better to watch the actual racing on TV :lol:

The hospitality packages definitely make it a nicer experience, although whether they offer value for money is entirely subjective! Also be wary of who is offering hospitality packages, only ever look at stuff being offered by Silverstone, as third-party companies will set up marquees outside of the circuit, give people food and drink there, then plonk them in seats in the grandstand to watch the race. The official hospo organiser will provide a far nicer experience with more access.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I've had a very similar experience to @Gavster, as I think I've regaled you all with before. Did a couple of years at Silverstone on BRDC tickets which was amazing, was also there as a kid in '92 when it was a bit more of a free for all. I can see how it wouldn't be great on the normal shit-muncher tickets though.

I quite fancy Spa, Monza also a good shout, but N24 is top of my list followed by Le Mans. Singapore might be good... but obviously not a road trip option.
zx6rkiller
Currently Driving: M2 Comp, 420d

Post by zx6rkiller »

Broccers wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:21 pm Ticket prices would be a factor.

Belgium fairly reasonable

https://tickets.formula1.com/en/f1-3286 ... ion-bronze
Only go to Belgian GP is you can camp on the side. Traffic getting in and out is just terrible. Keeps me from going and I just live 1.5hrs away.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Gavster wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:03 am Another Silverstone veteran here, although with a slightly different experience.

I went around 2010 with a friend who worked in sports hospitality, she had managed to get some spare hospitality passes, so we had full access and a free bar, got to meet Kasabian, plus were able to watch the racing from a nice terrace which was (IIRC) inside the track. It was definitely nicer than sitting on a grass bank outside the track, which I have vague memories of doing with my dad in the 80s. Despite all that, it's still better to watch the actual racing on TV :lol:

The hospitality packages definitely make it a nicer experience, although whether they offer value for money is entirely subjective! Also be wary of who is offering hospitality packages, only ever look at stuff being offered by Silverstone, as third-party companies will set up marquees outside of the circuit, give people food and drink there, then plonk them in seats in the grandstand to watch the race. The official hospo organiser will provide a far nicer experience with more access.
Similarly, full 3 day paddock access at Silverstone, free drinks and food, watching all the drivers, presenters and celebrities come and go, walking round the pit lane, stood under the podium at the end. Was really spoilt on that occasion. I even got to hold the winners' trophies. I didn't get access to the terrace overlooking the pit lane, iirc we watched the race from a few different grass mounds overlooking pit entry and various corner complexes.

I'd like to do Monaco just because it's Monaco.
Left over crest; tightens.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Having been to Silverstone as well, the only way I'm going to be bothered to go to another F1 race is if I get flown in by helicopter, or can watch it from some swanky suite or private yacht

None of which I'd be paying for of course

And so none of which will ever happen

For all the normal people, IMO, it's a great big disappointing ripoff

It's a nonstop fleecing that just makes you feel utterly exploited IMO
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Historic Grand Prix at Monaco to hear the proper engines reverberating round the buildings 8-) You'll have to wait til 2024 tho.

If it really must be current F1, the Monza idea is surely the best here.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

DaveE wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:04 pm Having been to Silverstone as well, the only way I'm going to be bothered to go to another F1 race is if I get flown in by helicopter, or can watch it from some swanky suite or private yacht

None of which I'd be paying for of course

And so none of which will ever happen

For all the normal people, IMO, it's a great big disappointing ripoff

It's a nonstop fleecing that just makes you feel utterly exploited IMO
Agree with that, pay hundreds and you get to sit in a grandstand seat. But all the people having a really good time sitting above the pits and around the paddock got in free :lol:
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

The merch at silverstone is a piss take too- last year there was a special Miami McLaren hat that was pink graduating into purple that was £35 on the McLaren website- £85 on the circuit
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I think most of us are a similar age and as much as Monaco isn't a great place for overtaking, it's such an iconic venue and would make for a good road trip.
Cheers,

Mike.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Whichever one you go to prepare to be underwhelmed. Unless you constantly watch the TV screens, after a few laps you won't have a clue what's going on. Don't know what it's like in noise terms these days but ear defenders were needed when I went and I still got a headache.
Last edited by Zonda_ on Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Don’t need them now