Competitive austerity/poverty

GG.

Re: Competitive austerity/poverty

Post by GG. »

Gavster wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:37 am
mik wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:59 pm
Gavster wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:55 pm I have fantasies about well-insulated properties, it's almost like a kink. For the last ~20 years I've only lived in Victorian conversions that are draughty af, my kitchen here has solid walls and drops to within a few º of outside temp if the heating is turned of. It's getting boring, regardless of how much 'character' they've got.
My heating (set to 21DegC) clicked off at 07:40.

At 16:30 when I checked, it was 19.2 DegC in my home office.
I'm crying. Firstly, I can barely get to 21º when it's below zero outside. Secondly, even if I did, 8 hours with the heating off would leave me around 14º in the main flat and 10º in the kitchen.

<cries in rockwool>
Similar situation for us. House leaks heat like a sieve.

We're rectifying that partially by replacing a single glazed wooden sash in the living room... but the cost of doing that is around 6 years worth of total heating bills so will probably be about 100 to offset the actual marginal savings. :?
Mito Man

Re: Competitive austerity/poverty

Post by Mito Man »

That’s exactly it. People spending many thousands to marginally improve insulation by which time the breakeven point approaches the house probably needs a full renovation anyway or they’ve moved out.
See also stupidly overpriced lithium battery storage.
How about not having a sig at all?