Competitive austerity/poverty

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Competitive austerity/poverty

Post by Gavster »

Watching middle-class people on Twitter shout about how many layers they wear at home and how they don't put their heating on until it's below zero outside. It's really nothing to brag about.

ETA: People who really can't afford heating this winter definitely aren't bragging about it on Twitter.
Broccers

Re: Competitive austerity/poverty

Post by Broccers »

I think it's a novelty for them actually having to think about expenditure for once.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Why are you following these people?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I'm wearing a hat.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:56 am Why are you following these people?
Work in the same industry - my Twitter is 99% related to my work.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Broccers wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:52 am I think it's a novelty for them actually having to think about expenditure for once.
Poverty cosplay is such fun!
mik

Post by mik »

Mrs mik prefers the house cosy at 23DegC (according to our (uncalibrated obvs) stat.

Answering thre current challenge, I tried putting the thermostat down. 18 degrees was horrible. 20 degrees barely pleasant. Settled on 21 DegC.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

I normally have it on 20. Today I’m trialling it at 17.

I haven’t got a Twitter account so I’m telling you lot.
mik

Post by mik »

I can tweet it on your behalf, to a group of people you don't know and don't know you. Or me (mostly).
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

For me it's not about poverty, its about saving this planet for my great great great grandkids to enjoy so that they can still go skiing in the Alps in 150 years time...
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

My missus sorts the bills and sets the thermostat. I don't concern myself with the settings - no good can come from
Me getting involved.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

mik wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:29 am Mrs mik prefers the house cosy at 23DegC (according to our (uncalibrated obvs) stat.

Answering thre current challenge, I tried putting the thermostat down. 18 degrees was horrible. 20 degrees barely pleasant. Settled on 21 DegC.
That 23º number seems to be strangely appealing to some people. My OH was born in Siberia, which had the rather unexpected effect of conditioning her into only being comfortable sleeping in a very warm room - because in Siberia you have powerful heating turned on 24/7 during the winter. She likes to set my little heater in the bedroom to 23º when she stays here, so I usually turn it down to 16º as soon as she's asleep.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:58 am I'm wearing a hat.
I have the heating on 😂
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

The question I most hate in our house now we have multi-zoned heating - "is the heating on?". There's only so many times you can say "yes, it's always on". Now it's just a no go area that I refuse to answer because the abive answer is not welcomed.

Apparently I'm supposed to know at any given time, off the top of my head, whether any given room is calling for heat.

Oh and none are set above 19C - what the hell is wrong with you all?
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:51 pm Oh and none are set above 19C - what the hell is wrong with you all?
FWIW my standard this year is 17-18º during the week, luckily my office gets a hint warmer than the rest of the flat so it works nicely.
scotta

Post by scotta »

we are heating the house to a modest 20 degrees. It cost me £12 in gas alone yesterday. Its on for an hour and a half in the morning and 5 hours at night.

I did tweet about heating the other day...but since im a flash bastard it was about turning it on :lol:

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Gavster wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:10 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:51 pm Oh and none are set above 19C - what the hell is wrong with you all?
FWIW my standard this year is 17-18º during the week, luckily my office gets a hint warmer than the rest of the flat so it works nicely.
We're the same. Luckily the family rarely mention its cold to the point we still have shorts and t-shirt's on. This 23' lark is crazy, thats like the heat hitting you as you walk off the plane in the Med :lol:

It is crazy that it costs an average weeks wage to fuel you home for a month !
tim

Post by tim »

I'm bloody loving this modern insulated house - £4/day in gas (inc. gas hob cooking) to keep the whole thing at 21/22 degrees 24/7 throughout december. I was burning 4-500l of oil a month at this time of year in the old place, and it struggled to reach 20 degrees.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

I tell my kids to put a jumper on before turning up the heating, because I care about the planet and not because Im tight :lol:
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

tim wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:36 pm I'm bloody loving this modern insulated house - £4/day in gas (inc. gas hob cooking) to keep the whole thing at 21/22 degrees 24/7 throughout december. I was burning 4-500l of oil a month at this time of year in the old place, and it struggled to reach 20 degrees.
I have fantasies about well-insulated properties, it's almost like a kink. For the last ~20 years I've only lived in Victorian conversions that are draughty af, my kitchen here has solid walls and drops to within a few º of outside temp if the heating is turned of. It's getting boring, regardless of how much 'character' they've got.