0% alcohol beers

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

0% alcohol beers

Post by Jobbo »

I'm not doing dry January, but I saw a recommendation for Guinness 0.0% a couple of weeks ago so tried it and really like it. It's definitely Guiness, has the same flavour and body, doesn't suffer from the lack of alcohol and is slightly sweeter but still has that bitterness which makes you want to keep glugging it. Having drink Kaliber a few times when that was the only zero-alcohol beer around, it was a bit of a revelation.

So I've tried quite a few more zero alcohol beers in the last week - they're great when you're out for lunch in the week or driving or whatever. Heineken 0.0% is my favoured lager so far (only tried it in bottles but bought some in cans to try next), though I had a couple of Estrella Galicias yesterday and they were pretty good too. I bought a couple of bottles of Adnams Ghost Ship 0.5% on the recommendation of a website review and wasn't so keen; I wasn't a massive fan of alcoholic Ghost Ship in the first place so that probably didn't help, but it was too floral and citrussy for me - apparently the citrus comes from using different hops to brew it naturally low alcohol. On current experience I think normally-brewed beers where the alcohol is taken out afterwards taste better.

Interestingly, Asda's tills still require authorisation to buy these 0.0% beers. Not sure why; it must be legal for kids to buy them, though it would still be weird to drink them at breakfast.

Anyone else tried any decent ones worth recommending - particularly to someone who still drinks alcoholic beverages as well?
ZedLeg

Re: 0% alcohol beers

Post by ZedLeg »

I like Erdinger AF and Brooklyn Special Effect.

I sometimes just pick up the erdinger when I want a soft drink rather than using it as just a beer substitute.

I’ve heard the guinness one is good though, will need to give it a try.

I’ve got quite into nice kombuchas.
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I tried the Guinness and thought the flavour was spot-on but lacked body - thought it was a bit watery. Maybe I need to try it again.

Lucky Saint is quite nice if you want a refreshing lager although after a few it can taste like beer-flavoured water which I think is an issue with some of these.

I quite liked Brewdog (I know, I know..) alcohol free Punk IPA, I think it's called Punk AF. I see they now do 0% Hazy Jane so might try some of that.

Erdinger Alkoholfrei is very nice - it's a wheat beer, has a nice head, good volume and is one of the most beer-tasting alcohol free beers I've had. Apparently it's also loaded with vitamins so is a good recovery drink too!

Estrella and Moretti are good and seem to be available quite a few places now which is good if out for a meal and driving.

Heineken Blue tastes just as bad as normal Heineken.

I do like a citrus IPA but I had the exact same reaction to the Ghost Ship as you did.
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Haven’t had one yet which makes me think it’s better than a regular soft drink so I rarely bother. The cynic in me says it’s to get under 18 hooked into their brand from an early age legally 😂
How about not having a sig at all?
tim

Post by tim »

Heineken zero is probably my favourite from a "can't tell" point of view. Also my kids like them so clearly they'll be alkies in a few years.

Leffe zero is also decent. I do like Ghost Ship 0.5% but then I'm a fan of Ghost Ship anyway, it's not quite the same but good enough for a "fancy a beer but driving later".
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

@Jobbo - Amazon also won't deliver the stuff unless there's an adult to sign for it. Not sure what I'm missing here with the licensing laws?
Cheers,

Mike.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Most of the Brewdog ones are OK. If you like Tiny Rebel Clwb Tropica (it's quite fruity) then they do an AF that is decent.

One of my favourite beers, Gipsy Hill Hepcat, has just got an AF version that I need to pick up.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The alcohol free Punk has lactose in it for some reason so it's not suitable for everyone. Just FYI.
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

I’ve never really felt the need for alcohol free beer - quite happy with a soft drink if I am not having a real beer.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I got bored of sugary soft drinks really quickly when I stopped drinking. It's nice to have something with a bit more of an interesting flavour than just sweet.
An absolute unit
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Considering the alcohol duties don't apply, Im not sure why these drinks are so expensive, but in a bar or restaurant the same applies to a Diet Coke (or Pepsi).
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Ascender wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:43 am @Jobbo - Amazon also won't deliver the stuff unless there's an adult to sign for it. Not sure what I'm missing here with the licensing laws?
Very odd. I thought perhaps Asda simply didn't distinguish 0% beer from alcoholic ones in its trigger for age verification but it's obviously more widespread. The Top Deck I used to buy on the way to school had more booze in than these beers :lol:

Like Zed, I get bored of traditional fizzy drinks quickly, and I've really been impressed at how good the new beers are.

I've only had Guinness 0.0% from a can so far, btw - not sure how else it comes, but I was impressed at how thick it tastes. All down to the widget I'm sure.

Mike, I object more to the cost of 0% spirits. Gin with no alcohol isn't gin, it's flavoured water.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I too have discovered Guinness 0.0 this dry Jan! To be honest I think it's a revelation relative to other stuff on the market. First few sips I was not sure, it's definitely missing a touch of flavour and taste vs the original, but it's a bloody good effort.

I quite like Ghostship, even the full alcohol version is quite citrus due to the Citra hops. Alcohol free version is not a bad stab, but not a patch on the original.

I quite like the Old Speckled Hen Low Alcohol version, the wife said it was too sweet but I had a couple of those over Xmas as I was driving and they went down pretty well. Probably second to Guinness on my list at the moment.

I'm not even allowing myself 0.5% this month though, only the ones that are pretty close to true zero (usually 0.05% or something).

My other go to drink that is an alternative to sugary tasting drinks is tonic water.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

mik wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:04 pm I’ve never really felt the need for alcohol free beer - quite happy with a soft drink if I am not having a real beer.
Same, or John Smiths which is just brown watter (as we say in yorks)
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

mik wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:04 pm I’ve never really felt the need for alcohol free beer - quite happy with a soft drink if I am not having a real beer.
Same. In fact, I don't even drink soft drinks really. Water will generally do, sometimes maybe some milk. Although we ahve recently been getting through a fair bit of Dash - carbonated water with a hint of fruit in it, and it's really quite good when you want something thirst quenching but not sugary.

Regarding Adnams - I'm pretty much of the view that anything they produce is bloody brilliant, but I haven't tried the 0.5% Ghost Ship - not sure I will either. They do a 0.5% Wild Wave cider as well for anyone interested.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Just looked at Adnams' own site and the Ghost Ship is made by brewing fully and taking out the alcohol - I was mistaken. Apparently the Estrella is made using the interrupted brewing process which means the alcohol never forms. I therefore have no idea whether one method or the other is preferable, but they're all a sight better than Kaliber :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

MikeHunt wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:17 pm Considering the alcohol duties don't apply, Im not sure why these drinks are so expensive, but in a bar or restaurant the same applies to a Diet Coke (or Pepsi).
When it comes to pubs I don't tend to buy AF beers at the same rate as everyone else is drinking for obvious reasons :lol:. I'll maybe buy one an hour or so as I feel bad just sitting there drinking water, £3.80 a bottle for special effect at the last place I was in.
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I drink a lot of water too, but my non-booze related treat-ish drinks of choice are Pepsi Max and Ribena (low sugar) with sparkling water... the latter of which I swear by as a pre-bed post session hangover aid.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:50 pm
MikeHunt wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:17 pm Considering the alcohol duties don't apply, Im not sure why these drinks are so expensive, but in a bar or restaurant the same applies to a Diet Coke (or Pepsi).
When it comes to pubs I don't tend to buy AF beers at the same rate as everyone else is drinking for obvious reasons :lol:. I'll maybe buy one an hour or so as I feel bad just sitting there drinking water, £3.80 a bottle for special effect at the last place I was in.
Yes, same here. As I said, it's strange, but some of them after a few just taste weird/wrong although I'm not entirely sure why.
Cheers,

Mike.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

We have a soda steam, im not a fan of their fake cokes and the like but Ive found that lime and mint cordial works really well, tastes better than most bars attempt at a mojito.