Wireless Mobile Charging

DeskJockey

Wireless Mobile Charging

Post by DeskJockey »

I was at a bit of a loss as to what to ask for for Christmas from the in-laws, so I went for a wireless charging pad as a something possibly useful and in budget.

What a treat! As stupid as it sounds, not plugging my phone in every night, but just laying it on the pad feels like a luxury. Unexpected win!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Simon

Re: Wireless Mobile Charging

Post by Simon »

The difficulty for me has been finding wireless chargers that don't get super hot in use. I don't really care about the higher powered ones as I'm trickle charging overnight, but even at 7.5W the chargers are getting really hot. Have been through a few now and struggling to find peace with any one of them.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I'll check how hot mine gets. Not noticed anything, bit not been paying it much attention.
---
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I have a triple wireless one does my phone, watch and AirPods. Mainly needed it just because having 3 cables on a bedside table is a mess but I do like the wasteful heat producing nature of it.
Wake up in the morning with a pre-heated watch and phone. If the German car manufacturers made a phone they would charge you royally for such a feature!
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I also dislike the heating effect. But I’ve realised I can probably just stick my phone on the induction hob to charge it 😄
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:21 pm I was at a bit of a loss as to what to ask for for Christmas from the in-laws, so I went for a wireless charging pad as a something possibly useful and in budget.

What a treat! As stupid as it sounds, not plugging my phone in every night, but just laying it on the pad feels like a luxury. Unexpected win!
I've got wireless charging stands at my desk and by my bed. I much prefer it being stood up. It also reduces the likelyhood of missing the pad or knocking it off.

The cradle in the car is also a wireless charger. I'd be miffed if I had to go back to plugging the phone in all the time.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I got an old style Bankers Lamp with Wireless Charging and a USB for my office

Very effective but yeah, it does get a little warm.

We bought a more modern style one for Mini Dinny but after a year of use, one night, he noticed the hum it gives off and now it winds him up when he's trying to get to sleep so he's stopped using it
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Mine wasn't warm at all this morning, although the phone was fully charged much earlier, so perhaps it cooled down. Will experiment further.
---
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:22 am The cradle in the car is also a wireless charger. I'd be miffed if I had to go back to plugging the phone in all the time.
My Audi has a wireless charger built in, but doing Carplay wirelessly is laggy and that annoys me. So I plug it in, which charges the phone anyway and therefore avoid putting it in the nice phone-sized place I could put it because it houses the wireless charger...
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:37 am
Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:22 am The cradle in the car is also a wireless charger. I'd be miffed if I had to go back to plugging the phone in all the time.
My Audi has a wireless charger built in, but doing Carplay wirelessly is laggy and that annoys me. So I plug it in, which charges the phone anyway and therefore avoid putting it in the nice phone-sized place I could put it because it houses the wireless charger...
While also potentially heating up said phone in an enclosed space if it's lying on the charging pad like mine does :roll: I have to prop it up as it's given me warnings that the phone was too hot after a while
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:37 am My Audi has a wireless charger built in
So does my Merc... which is too small for any phone bigger than an iPhone 8... so useless :roll:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
mik

Post by mik »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:09 pm
Jobbo wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:37 am My Audi has a wireless charger built in
So does my Merc... which is too small for any phone bigger than an iPhone 8... so useless :roll:
E-Tron one is vertical with a sprung clip (with a little roller on it so no phone scratchy). It's big and is a way better solution than a flat pad that your phone slips around on.

Not my image.

Marv

Post by Marv »

I bought a wireless charging pad when I got my work iPhone 13 Mini, as the silly iPhone lead which come with the phone are with USB-C charger side, and lightening the phone end.

Other than the ports on my computer and powerbank, I don't have a 3pin plug socket USB charger that has a USB-C socket on it :lol:

I do find it quite nice not having to plug in a cable to charge, and the standard apple cables are made from butter.

Phone just gets a little warm when charging.
Oui, je suis un motard.
mik

Post by mik »

Marv wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:14 pm I don't have a 3pin plug socket USB charger that has a USB-C socket on it :lol:
These thingies (other sellers are available) work well.

dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Yeah, I got a load of those because our Sofa's are old skool USB
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

My Belkin wireless charging pad doesn't get hot. Left my phone charging on it for a good 30 minutes, but it was still no warmer than the ambient temp.
---
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:35 am Yeah, I got a load of those because our Sofa's are old skool USB
Our sofas are even more old skool without any electrical requirements at all :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

:lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Do you have a massive lazy boy? :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:16 am
dinny_g wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:35 am Yeah, I got a load of those because our Sofa's are old skool USB
Our sofas are even more old skool without any electrical requirements at all :lol:
You have wireless sofas