Holiday pricing??

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Holiday pricing??

Post by Gavin »

Not been abroad since before Covid, looked at a week in Majorca at either Easter or October hols and the cost has nearly doubled!! WTAF.

I am not sure a week in Majorca is worth £2500 which was at the cheaper end.

Is that just life post Brexit and with higher fuel costs?
8Ball

Re: Holiday pricing??

Post by 8Ball »

It's been like that for a year or so as the travel industry tries to recover from Covid
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Yeah it was the same last year tbh. Cost us nearly a grand just for flights to Malaga and that was outside the main summer hols period. Pre COVID it was more like half that.

We've just been looking for city breaks in Europe for Feb half term and the prices are eye watering. Unless you're willing to fly Ryanair (no fucking chance) then flight costs are horrendous. Now looking at Scotland instead!
John

Post by John »

The caravan/motorhome market is still silly too which I'm sure has something to do with the price of all holidays. Not sure if I've posted this but we sold out motorhome in August and we could have sold it five times over easily. The couple who bought it were having a weekend locally and then heading to Spain for three months.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Flights are silly. We paid nearly a grand for flights to Copenhagen over new year's. Even for five people (and three bags) that's a fair chunk dearer than earlier years. The cheapest way is still driving (assuming there's a driving route and time obviously).

Our summer holiday this year will be driving, not just for the convenience of having our own car and stuff, but because it'll cost about a third less.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I looked briefly at a family weekend in Rome and the flights alone were silly money.
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

Yep it's mental, same holiday from June last year is circa 1100 more. They are coming down though so I am just going to hold out, surely no one is paying nearly 3k for a week in Benidorm.
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:28 pm Yeah it was the same last year tbh. Cost us nearly a grand just for flights to Malaga and that was outside the main summer hols period. Pre COVID it was more like half that.

We've just been looking for city breaks in Europe for Feb half term and the prices are eye watering. Unless you're willing to fly Ryanair (no fucking chance) then flight costs are horrendous. Now looking at Scotland instead!
Flights to Zadar from Newcastle for four with Ryanair in August were 623 last week. Now they're nearly 900. Absolute shower of cunts. I'll probably give in with my wife badgering me as we'd planned a lot of the holiday but at the minute I'd rather try somewhere else.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

10 days in a posh motorhome for us, 2 drivers and 10 days in Europe will be £1800 for the hire alone.

Dave!
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

V8Granite wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:20 pm 10 days in a posh motorhome for us, 2 drivers and 10 days in Europe will be £1800 for the hire alone.

Dave!
That doesn't sound too bad but I guess adding ferries, fuel, food and so on...
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I think it will be 4K all in. Which compared to a single destination and small average apartment seems like great value.

Dave!
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I have a big downer on air travel, it's been far too cheap for far too long compared to the environmental impact. I'm glad the price is starting to reflect that.

(feel free to mention the number of cars I have here, but remember they don't do much polluting sitting still :lol:)

I think our summer holiday will be Germany again - drive to Köln via Bruges. Wifey has extended family in Brühl. They work at Phantasialand, which is excellent.

https://www.phantasialand.de/en/
Simon

Post by Simon »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:54 am I have a big downer on air travel, it's been far too cheap for far too long compared to the environmental impact. I'm glad the price is starting to reflect that.

(feel free to mention the number of cars I have here, but remember they don't do much polluting sitting still :lol:)

I think our summer holiday will be Germany again - drive to Köln via Bruges. Wifey has extended family in Brühl. They work at Phantasialand, which is excellent.

https://www.phantasialand.de/en/
Whilst I generally agree with you, I think we need some sort of carbon credits for it. We went to Brazil last year to see the wife's family. First time for me and my son, first time in 5 years for my wife. With some flight changes we needed to do we spent £5k on flights in total for the 3 of us. That's crazy, and was higher because apparently the South American airlines were trying to claw back some of the money lost and repaid out in covid cancelations etc, so prices were really high. That's a one in multi-year trip.

But some companies fly their staff around all over the place constantly. Why don't we start giving people carbon credits that they can accrue over time and start penalizing some of the heavy users of air travel; both personal and corporate users, who make multiple trips a year.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

We've had to delay booking our Holiday to America as my other half was made redundant and hasn't started working again.

We may have to curtail our plans slightly and shorten from 3 1/2 weeks to 2 but I think we can see most of what we want. I want to shorten the time spend in LA but I think my other half may have something to say about that :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Just booked a couple of weeks camping in France. Going for the ferry to Caen rather than the tunnel as never done it and much shorter distance means the cost is not much more. Gives us two extras nights on the campsite (rather than having to find an Airbnb for one night, both ways, if we went via the tunnel).

The ferry cost was as much as the campsite though.
Left over crest; tightens.
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

KevH18 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:41 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:28 pm Yeah it was the same last year tbh. Cost us nearly a grand just for flights to Malaga and that was outside the main summer hols period. Pre COVID it was more like half that.

Flights to Zadar from Newcastle for four with Ryanair in August were 623 last week. Now they're nearly 900. Absolute shower of cunts. I'll probably give in with my wife badgering me as we'd planned a lot of the holiday but at the minute I'd rather try somewhere else.
Ended up being close to a grand but going a week later, still on the holidays, was nearly 400 quid cheaper so went with that. Madness! Hire car is 300 quid for a Golf (or similar, so probably a Dacia Sandero) for four days though.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Yep - prices have all got a bit silly haven’t they. We just paid £1100 for three tickets on sleazyjet to Barcelona for a half term citybreak. Easily 40 per cent. more than it would have been in recent years.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

GG. wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:28 pm Yep - prices have all got a bit silly haven’t they. We just paid £1100 for three tickets on sleazyjet to Barcelona for a half term citybreak. Easily 40 per cent. more than it would have been in recent years.
Fucking hell :shock: