Has anyone got a printer that isn't shit?

Nefarious

Has anyone got a printer that isn't shit?

Post by Nefarious »

Has anybody got a printer that they're actually happy with?

I kinda accept that printers are always a *bit* shit, but I'm on my third one that is a constant source of frustration and irritation. I think my error has been to always be in an emergency situation when the previous one breaks and just buying whatever model they have in the supermarket.

I'm on an HP 2700 at the moment, and I think the previous one was an HP 3620

I don't need much from it - about 200 B&W text pages per month for work purposes, and the odd bit of general personal stuff, but I would like:

Ink capacity of more than 105-odd pages at a time (and preferably not cost a fortune every time it needs refilled)
A ability to just press "Print" and leave it to its own devices (the current one needs constant nannying - paper jams, empty paper false alarms etc etc)
An output tray that actually contains the printed pages (the current one doesn't push the paper far enough out, so it all just ends up in a random pile)

Is it really too much to ask?
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Re: Has anyone got a printer that isn't shit?

Post by Gavster »

I've had an HP4502 since 2016 which has been absolutely faultless, it's on an HP instant ink subscription and I print between 10-100 pages a month. Ink lasts for a year or so at a time (that might be because the instant ink cartridges are well-filled). Never had a jam or a fake empty paper tray alarm. The outputs pile correctly, however I rarely print more than 10 pages a time.

In contrast to your experience, it's probably one of the best value and most reliable pieces of consumer electronics I've owned.

Only downside is that it feels quite cheap and they don't make them anymore, so not a massive help for you.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I've got an HP OfficeJet Pro 7740, not had any problems with it, but I don't use it that much TBF.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

It may just be that they reserve the especially shit, thimble-of-ink-at-a-time models for supermarkets, just for people like me who need a printer - any printer - at 9.30pm!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I've got an Epson Workforce (DWF-3620) that for the first three or so years worked great. It is now beginning to display a bit of "personality". So, a halfway recommendation? Works best, sadly, with original ink though.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I feel your pain Nef... My issue is always the same

- have printing Job but can't use work printer
- buy Printer and set it up
- Use printer
- Put printer away
- 6 months later, take out printer for another job
- Printer will NEVER AGAIN connection to any laptop
- give up and drive into work at 22:30
- repeat...

:lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

We have a Canon MF832CDW in the office and I've just ordered a second. It's a big old lump - about 40kg - so it's probably a bit much for home but it does excellent copying, scanning and printing in colour and black and white, double sided scanning and printing with a good feed tray, laser so it doesn't gum up like an inkjet and you can buy extra paper trays for it. It covers everything apart from being limited to A4 when we often need A3 at work. I suspect they do something in the range which is a bit simpler and cheaper that would suit you. Definitely go laser, anyway.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

I've just printed about 120 pages. Between nannying the mechancial bits, switching it off and on again about 4 times, re-establishing connections, re-doing the bits it fucked up, reloading cartridges and constantly feeding it paper, It's taken me about an hour and a half of constant effort.

This happens about once a fortnight-three weeks. It's *just* long enough that I forget about the pain, and don't do anything about it until next time, so I've been stuck in the rinse and repeat cycle. It has managed to irritate me sufficiently this time that I'm calling it game over and consigning this piece of shite to the bucket.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

For several years, the HP Instant ink subscription was £1.99 a month, which was an absolute no-brainer for the convenience of always having a spare, genuine cartridge to hand. Also never had any connection problems either, just put in the WIFI password and it all just seems to work.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Yes!

We have a printer that isn't shit...

https://www.brother.co.uk/printers/lase ... hl-l2375dw

My wife is self employed and what she wanted was a zero-fuss printer that would be OK to just sit for periods in between being used

She also wanted something relatively small and plain/simple looking

This fitted the bill perfectly and has been great to own/use
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Gavster wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:07 pm I've had an HP4502 since 2016 which has been absolutely faultless, it's on an HP instant ink subscription and I print between 10-100 pages a month. Ink lasts for a year or so at a time (that might be because the instant ink cartridges are well-filled). Never had a jam or a fake empty paper tray alarm. The outputs pile correctly, however I rarely print more than 10 pages a time.

In contrast to your experience, it's probably one of the best value and most reliable pieces of consumer electronics I've owned.

Only downside is that it feels quite cheap and they don't make them anymore, so not a massive help for you.
What he said. HP and an instant ink subscription. Buy the printer direct form HP as they usually have some good deals.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Same. Have had an HP 8710 since 2017 along with an instant ink sub. Duplex on scan and print trays, WiFi etc etc. Very pleased with it., plus it's small enough to fit on my 2x2 Kallax along with my WiFi access point.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
scotta

Post by scotta »

Sack off the inkjet shite and get a laser printer.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yeah I’ve got an ancient Brother mono laser. I’ve had HP inkjets before and they used to dry up as I used them quite infrequently and then when you did want to use them they spent 5 minutes mixing up the ink or some shit.
Got an old school Brother which doesn’t even have Wi-Fi. Just plug the USB into any laptop and it installs the drivers in a few seconds and is printing away.
How about not having a sig at all?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Fatboy Slim wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:56 pm Yeah I’ve got an
ancient Brother
mono laser
Got an old school Brother
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Brother laser printer here. Works great.

Edited to add, no BS issues with connectivity regardless of frequency of use, but main devices that use it are wired to it via ethernet.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Brother mono laser printer FTW. No idea how many years I've had it now but it's brilliant - reliable, quick, good quality and works wired/wireless.
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

I have had a budget Dell colour laser printer for years, but they don't make this model now and has always been pretty good but not awesome.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

My father has a Brother mono laser printer at home which absolutely chews through toner. Ihave to get him a new high-capacity toner cartridge approx every 3 months. I doubt your usage would be quite as high though, Neil, and the toner cartridges are only about £35 delivered. Seems to be reliable anyway.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Interesting thread. Domestic printers are very limited, a decent mono laser should do you.