Carlos

Re: Tow Car?

Post by Carlos »

That's a good point.

I enjoy towing it's a proper skill 😎
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Never towed anything, but would like a proper kit for the x5. Feels like I could do that old clarkson video thing and tow the compact to 60 quicker than the compact on its own would do it 😂
Cheers, Harry
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

My hypothetical £4k would go here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295374051758

The first-gen Touaregs were from the era of VW going out of their way to prove their engineering skilllzzz. They're very well put together.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:34 pm Never towed anything, but would like a proper kit for the x5. Feels like I could do that old clarkson video thing and tow the compact to 60 quicker than the compact on its own would do it 😂
Well now you’ve said it you have to do it :lol:
An absolute unit
Peterlplp

Post by Peterlplp »

Ignore all requirements and get a green and gold xj cherokee.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Really really don’t fuck about towing with something that’s not rated enough. Myself and @Nefarious had a massive weave when towing the race box and the FF with the XJR. How it didn’t roll I have no idea.

You’ve also said you‘ve never towed before. It can go really wrong really quickly. At least with a car in the back it can survive a weave - imagine the injury that would cause a horse.

Hire the horse box. It’s the tool for the job.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

I have towed a number of caravans over the years but only once a horse in a horse box. They shift and you can feel them do it. Yeti or Touareg would be a brave/daft choice.

Santa Fe won tow car of the year so many times and would be up to the task but I would consider renting either a tow car or a box as horses are dicks.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I think one of my neighbours has maybe bought a horsebox as there's been one parked on our street all christmas.

I think it was in fact exactly this one https://www.horsemart.co.uk/mercedes-sp ... ers/688702

It's not much bigger than a normal van, I'd definitely be looking at something like that instead of a tow car and trailer.
An absolute unit
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Gavin wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:36 am Yeti or Touareg would be a brave/daft choice.
I know I'm a Touareg fanboi, but seriously, Yeti & Touareg are vastly different.
scotta

Post by scotta »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:42 am I think one of my neighbours has maybe bought a horsebox as there's been one parked on our street all christmas.

I think it was in fact exactly this one https://www.horsemart.co.uk/mercedes-sp ... ers/688702

It's not much bigger than a normal van, I'd definitely be looking at something like that instead of a tow car and trailer.
That’s in my town!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

scotta wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:04 am
ZedLeg wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:42 am I think one of my neighbours has maybe bought a horsebox as there's been one parked on our street all christmas.

That’s in my town!
Not anymore :lol:
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:37 am
Gavin wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:36 am Yeti or Touareg would be a brave/daft choice.
I know I'm a Touareg fanboi, but seriously, Yeti & Touareg are vastly different.
A Touareg is the same class as the ML and the ML towed incredibly well. Nearly as sure footed as the Defender which was perfect apart from 30hp short.

Dave!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I'm assuming Gavin was thinking of a Tiguan
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Reminds me of that video that made the rounds a few years ago. Some cyclists (I think) stopped at the side of a road doing a video. Into shot comes a Renault 5 towing a massive twin axle caravan up the hill. At some point the sound of the screaming engine stops and the whole thing comes backwards down the hill at speed.

Edit: this one!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Holley

Post by Holley »

Hiring for me makes sense, but not to the powers that be. All her friends have horse trailers and there's 4 at the yard where her horse is that she has access to.

I forgot to add that she'll only be travelling to nearby villages in our area. B roads only travelling at 30-40mph and annoying everyone.

But you're all right, will start looking at something bigger to tow!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just curious where do horse people take horses to? There’s always being trailered about and I’m curious if I could just rock up and park at Hyde Park and take a horse for a walk through London 😂
How about not having a sig at all?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

You could, it probably wouldn't be that fun though. Horses are easily spooked so I'd imagine central London to not be great for them :lol:
An absolute unit
GT3

Post by GT3 »

2011 Tiguan TDI 4motion tows an IW HB511 with a 17hh horse ok, modest remap has helped with hills. Tiguans seem to hold their value pretty well, 5k should get a good one.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

GT3 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:00 pm 2011 Tiguan TDI 4motion tows an IW HB511 with a 17hh horse ok, modest remap has helped with hills. Tiguans seem to hold their value pretty well, 5k should get a good one.
That's your post quota for the next year sorted Grant. :lol: