Project Binky

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Re: Project Binky

Post by Gavster »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:18 pm So very roughly speaking, they were making £6.5k in 2019 when they had around 50% of their peak number of patrons. So about £13k per month at the peak.

Add that to the other private client work, merch sales, and presume this doesn't include YT revenue either?

Seems to me they could have been funding a very respectable coke and hookers habit at their peak. 8-)
I hadn't been following this thread but yeah, if they turned on monetisation and not swearing etc, then they should be getting a little bit from YT, however don't overestimate that, because they were infrequent posters and only hit around 300k - 900k views per video, which isn't a huge amount of watch time in total.

The Patreon thing is awful. Creators seem to let that slide (presumably because it's easy, free money) until people cancel or complain. Same thing happening with Jack Monroe, she's been getting potentially ~£2k per month but not done an update in years, whilst genuinely blowing it up the wall on wasteful spending and drugs, with which has caused a lot of ill feeling and resentment.
dan

Post by dan »

I'd love other people to pay for my project car, perhaps I should start a patreon cash cow :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

dan wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:06 pm I'd love other people to pay for my project car, perhaps I should start a patreon cash cow :lol:
Theres a little step missing from your plan - just the making videos and getting hundreds of thousands of views bit...
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

After a certain point Patreon rewards laziness.
How about not having a sig at all?
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Rich B wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:54 pm
dan wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:06 pm I'd love other people to pay for my project car, perhaps I should start a patreon cash cow :lol:
Theres a little step missing from your plan - just the making videos and getting hundreds of thousands of views bit...
Exactly! There's probably 2 days of editing in the kind of 45-minute video they were uploading, plus the fact you're filming everything slows your work down by 20%. Basically, it's a great idea if you can either a) spare around a week per month, or b) are happy to spend every spare moment in the evenings and weekends filming and editing. And you'll need to do that for free, for at least a year or two before you'll have enough followers to build a Patreon or apply for monetisation on YT.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Beany wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:27 pm They've put a video out!

Oh, no, wait, it's recycled content - a gag reel.

Can't imagine why they've dropped 25% of their patrons since new year...
Watched 3 minutes. Bored now.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

So having had nothing for almost a year they are going to release an episode a month?

Either they have been working away on three different projects and want to collate them into separate stories or they really haven't been focussed...
mik

Post by mik »

To bring a little balance - I had a quite a few jolly snortly sniggers whilst watching the gag reel. :D Reminded me why the vids were so watchable - I'd completely forgotten for example about the ACME holes they purchased for the front-arch mounted indicators (7min20 ish) 8-)

(I highlight this as a non-Patreon-er. I have only bought merch).
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

New episode tomorrow :shock:
scotta

Post by scotta »

jamcg wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:49 pm New episode tomorrow :shock:
For Patreon im presuming?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Nope that was yesterday
scotta

Post by scotta »

Simon

Post by Simon »

There. That wasn't so hard was it? How come it took them so long?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

For a year's worth of nothing, that was rather underwhelming.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:21 pm For a year's worth of nothing, that was rather underwhelming.
I was kinda expecting them to address that more specifically, or has that already been done on Patreon?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:21 pm For a year's worth of nothing, that was rather underwhelming.
It did indeed mostly look like bolting on things they’d already made over the series.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

It would have been decent to acknowledge the gap and do more than, as @Jobbo says, bolt bits on.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

It was odd not to acknowledge the hiatus but otherwise it just felt like more of the tried and tested - welding, cutting, bending, bodging, etc.
I did note a post credits sequence.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I suspect the references to the absence will be brought up in the next one, given the 'how hard can it be' over the dash binnacle, at the end of the episode - so if they're doing it in order (which they kinda have to) and they had to do all these bits first, then I can see why they'd not be able to address it directly in this episode.