Kids are Awesome

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Kids are Awesome

Post by Gavin »

Having been picked for the World Jamboree last year my daughter has now raised the £4k odd. (Thank you, I know a lot of you sponsored her walking round Kielder and it was much appreciated)

However, yesterday she won £3000 for the local women's refuge for her presentation competition within the school.

A couple of weeks ago she went to a maths competition final in Glasgow (having had best maths results in her year) and her team came 11th of of over 50. She was one of the youngest there as a number of schools fielded only S4 and above and she is S3.

My son finally got his dyslexia confirmed just after the lockdown and since has come in leaps and bounds with his reading and has been going down from his P7 class to help P1s and 2s (Year 2 and 3 in Ingoland) and helping the little ones with phonics and reading and a random parent at an outdoor event when he heard the name Bendy cam over to say how much his wee daughter loved him and came home and talked about him and has had feedback from the teachers at how lovely and patient he is.

Given I was a bloody nightmare as a kid I am soooo lucky!

Anyway, I thought a thread where we could boast about how brilliantly our kids have done might be nice?
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Re: Kids are Awesome

Post by PaulJ »

We don't have any kids, but well done to yours. In the spirit of joining in I'd just like to say that my parents only son is widely considered to be an absolute diamond! ;)
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Great idea and well done to yours.

My eldest is a voracious reader and knows Harry Potter back to front. He was the fastest in the entire school to become a Word Millionaire in a school year, quizzing his way to the win by mid-October. He's a creative writer and comes up with some great stories, often drawing inspiration from what he's read.

Middle one is sharp as a tack, top of his class in all subjects and completes all work set with ease. In maths he often gets concepts quicker than his older brother in Y5 despite being in Y2. He reads at Y6 level. On top, the girls in his year are fighting over who gets to marry him.

Youngest (in reception) is getting to grips with reading quite well and writes better than either of her brothers did at that stage. She's quickly made loads of friends and due to her not taking any cr*p from the boys has been put next to some of the more noisy ones as a calming influence.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

My 6yo was headbanging to Iron Maiden's Fear of the Dark in the shower. Proud dad moment.

Does that count? :lol:
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

It absolutely does! I remember when my two asked for foo fighters when they were about 5 & 8 whilst bombing down the Edinburgh Bypass, also a proud moment!

@DeskJockey what is a word millionaire? Sounds intriguing.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

All forgotten when they borrow your car and hit some diesel on a roundabout 😂

Congratulations all the forum kids, it’s such a brilliant thing to watch them develop.

Dave!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

@Gavin it is programme they use at school called Accelerated Reader. There's a quiz for each book (10-20 questions) and if they get above a certain number of answers right, the book's word count is added to their tally. When they hit a million words in a term/year they get a "gold" badge and there's a bit of fuss made about it.
---
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:23 am @Gavin it is programme they use at school called Accelerated Reader. There's a quiz for each book (10-20 questions) and if they get above a certain number of answers right, the book's word count is added to their tally. When they hit a million words in a term/year they get a "gold" badge and there's a bit of fuss made about it.
That is a brilliant idea, I remember being astounded at school how few of the people I knew read for pleasure. My wife daughter and I read a lot, my son only under threats of violence! :D

Well done to your eldest then!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Thanks. Luckily both boys read for pleasure, as do my wife and I, hopefully the youngest will get the bug too.
---
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Thread bump because I'm proud as punch. Eldest won the school music competition playing the piano!

Very oddly there was a very sudden dust storm in the room just as the headteacher gave him the trophy, so I couldn't see so well because of the tears.
---
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

😎 what sort of stuff does he play?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

8-)