Multi camera angles

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Multi camera angles

Post by Gavster »

I thought it would be a great idea to film some content with 2, 3 and even 4 cameras, to give me plenty of angles, POV shots, B-roll etc in a single take. It would be like editing a single camera shot, with options for different angles in the edit. Nice.

What I hadn't anticipated is the complete PITA of keeping track of all the settings across three different makes and models of camera (2 x Panasonic, 1 x GoPro, 1 x iPhone), how exports would spaz out because I accidentally left one camera on 24fps, how my computer would shit it's biscuits itself when attempting to edit multicam sequences comprised of 4 x 4K clips :lol: as well as needing more than 100GB storage for the footage to make a single, short YT video.

Think I might stick to TikTok :lol:
DeskJockey

Re: Multi camera angles

Post by DeskJockey »

Employ man maths and buy a silly editing rig.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

Can you get one of those 360 cameras? Granted probably not able to replicate multiple cameras to an extent, but you can pick what angles you want to use in the phone software and chop and change as required.

*I've not used one so not sure how good or easier they are to use, but I see a lot of their output on YouTube*
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:33 pm Employ man maths and buy a silly editing rig.
Apple decided to feed man maths a shit ton of cocaine, fitted afterburners, then launched it into space.

Here's what a top spec Mac Pro costs 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

The Mac Studio looks appealing tho' :)
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Brannen wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:30 pm Can you get one of those 360 cameras? Granted probably not able to replicate multiple cameras to an extent, but you can pick what angles you want to use in the phone software and chop and change as required.

*I've not used one so not sure how good or easier they are to use, but I see a lot of their output on YouTube*
It'd be fun to fuck around with one for a while to see what it's like... off to ebay 8-)
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Flip me that's a ton of cash.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Gavster wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:00 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:33 pm Employ man maths and buy a silly editing rig.
Apple decided to feed man maths a shit ton of cocaine, fitted afterburners, then launched it into space.

Won't an M1 Mac Mini do pretty much the same job these days? IIRC the Apple Silicon kit seems to be very optimised for video editing.
tim

Post by tim »

All that money and you're still using a shitty mac hunting for the # key :D
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:16 pm
Gavster wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:00 pm

Won't an M1 Mac Mini do pretty much the same job these days? IIRC the Apple Silicon kit seems to be very optimised for video editing.
I’m using an M1 mini, and it handles a single track of 4K footage pretty well, so my first stop should be to check if there are any upgrades possible.

I watched a YT vid where a guy compared a Mac mini to a Mac Pro for video editing and there is a reasonable difference in performance.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

You need dedicated graphics, and anything not a Mac with dedicated graphics will cost a great deal less.
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Pfft, Mac Pro. Don't be a bell. Get a Mac Studio.
MacStudio.png
MacStudio.png (72.6 KiB) Viewed 744 times

Reassuringly expensive, just less egregiously so.

Get some 2/4TB USB3 SSDs and a couple of decent IPS displays (not apple ones) and you'll be set for well under £10k - and no, I couldn't be arsed changing it to GBP.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

I was eyeing up the Mac Studio on the apple site while you were posting that 😆

Defintiely looks like a good solution 👌
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:43 pm You need dedicated graphics, and anything not a Mac with dedicated graphics will cost a great deal less.
Nah, the M1 chips have onboard media extensions that mean that it can handle more then Gav would need (I think the ultra can handle eight 8k streams, Mac Pro can do 16 or something on it's workstation class GPU but 8 x 8k would be more than enough for action cam editing) so it'd be fine.

I'll dunk on Apple all day, but I'll grant you the M1 chips are pretty fucking impressive. They're not for me, but I can see why people like 'em.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Gavster wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:48 pm I was eyeing up the Mac Studio on the apple site while you were posting that 😆

In all seriousness, if this isn't the red wine talking ;) then go to an apple outlet (perhaps authorised, rather than official - they tend to be a bit more flexible) and ask if you can try your workflow on a demo machine in exchange for a useful donation to the shop managers favourite charity/other light bribery.

If they think they'll get a sale out of you, I can pretty much guarantee they'll help walk you through it to see if it'll work for you.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Beany wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:53 pm
Mito Man wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:43 pm You need dedicated graphics, and anything not a Mac with dedicated graphics will cost a great deal less.
Nah, the M1 chips have onboard media extensions that mean that it can handle more then Gav would need (I think the ultra can handle eight 8k streams, Mac Pro can do 16 or something on it's workstation class GPU but 8 x 8k would be more than enough for action cam editing) so it'd be fine.

I'll dunk on Apple all day, but I'll grant you the M1 chips are pretty fucking impressive. They're not for me, but I can see why people like 'em.
Impressive but I'd still take a 13900k + 4090 for much less. Added bonus that it won't be soldered to shit so will last a hell of a lot longer by upgrading it.
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:16 pm
Beany wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:53 pm

Impressive but I'd still take a 13900k + 4090 for much less. Added bonus that it won't be soldered to shit so will last a hell of a lot longer by upgrading it.
Yeah, but we're speaking to an Apple user here.

Got to make allowances for 'em. ;)

Also I'd use the upcoming Zen 4 Threadripper rather then an i9, thanks ;)
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Beany gets it, I’ve been exclusively Mac since 2000 so asking me to get a PC is equivalent to trying to converse with me in whale sounds.

Will deffo have a look at the Mac Studio in a store, and then work out what client I need to get to buy it :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I’m quite happy with both Windows and OSX - can’t avoid using Windows for work but I wouldn’t want to move away from it totally anyway.

But there’s the right tool for the job and a Mac with Apple silicon and multiple graphics cores even on the base models is exactly that for video.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Gavster wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:48 pm I was eyeing up the Mac Studio on the apple site while you were posting that 😆

That's what I ended up with for my main machine as I need something with 32GB RAM for VMs and enough processing power to just do a bit of everything. It's a cracking machine.
Cheers,

Mike.
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Quiet chortling as I read this...

I'm genuinely surprised, that as a media creator, the need for a ferking great machine to edit multicam footage came out of the blue to you. I don't think I've been to any of my colleagues/peers offices or homes without there being a corner of it running something angry putting out enough heat to act as a substitute for Mik's log burner.

Thankfully the race to 4k, 8k, RAW video and the like seems to have slowed down a bit from a few years ago (camera sensors limiting it I think) but the worst part about all this a few years back was it was all advancing so quickly, whatever computer you bought was out of date within a year. Something to remember I think - whatever you fork out will have to have paid for itself probably faster than you think.