Multi camera angles

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Re: Multi camera angles

Post by Gavster »

KiwiDave wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:21 am Quiet chortling as I read this...

I'm genuinely surprised, that as a media creator, the need for a ferking great machine to edit multicam footage came out of the blue to you. I don't think I've been to any of my colleagues/peers offices or homes without there being a corner of it running something angry putting out enough heat to act as a substitute for Mik's log burner.

Thankfully the race to 4k, 8k, RAW video and the like seems to have slowed down a bit from a few years ago (camera sensors limiting it I think) but the worst part about all this a few years back was it was all advancing so quickly, whatever computer you bought was out of date within a year. Something to remember I think - whatever you fork out will have to have paid for itself probably faster than you think.
It really is a surprise! My background is stills and graphics, not video, so I’m learning. It’s only ~1 year since I first filmed and edited a TikTok in 4K and discovered how chunky the footage is!

This has come about because I want to put some YT vids up. If it wasn’t for that I’d be more than happy filming and editing half my content on my iPhone 😂
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

TikTok, iPhone + CapCut ftw 🤣
Cheers, Harry
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:35 am TikTok, iPhone + CapCut ftw 🤣
Honestly that’s the best way! Filmed, edited and posted in no time.

Filming on DSLR more than doubled the time needed 🫤
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Gavster wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:56 am It really is a surprise! My background is stills and graphics, not video, so I’m learning. It’s only ~1 year since I first filmed and edited a TikTok in 4K and discovered how chunky the footage is!

This has come about because I want to put some YT vids up. If it wasn’t for that I’d be more than happy filming and editing half my content on my iPhone 😂
:lol: :lol:

To be fair I guess my first exposure to it was making uni videos and clips of BMX and MTB stuff on MiniDV. Didn't take long til my 512MB RAM with onboard graphics PC was dying and there were quickly computer bits lying around everywhere. At my last job we were knocking together 1-2min clips filmed on DSLRs for social content and ended up having a separate network with its own storage within the main network, prior to that we'd regularly make nuisances of ourselves for everyone and were having to work out of hours to get by. PCs would go from being top of the line to barely working for video in about 2.5yrs, though I'm fairly sure a lot of that was Adobe's relentless march of bloating their apps.

Video terrorises devices. :lol:

Beany may snigger at this dismissively, but from a PC point of view, I always found this site a very useful way to choose specs based on the app or apps you're using: Clicky clacky
Beany

Post by Beany »

Nah, nowt particularly wrong with Puget Systems, they're popular (and successful) for a reason.

I used to be really very on top of video/CAD/audio workstation stuff but not so much lately. :lol:
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Gavster wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:41 pm

Apple decided to feed man maths a shit ton of cocaine, fitted afterburners, then launched it into space.

Here's what a top spec Mac Pro costs 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

This looks similar to when you try to spec a 1 series to over £100k on the configurator. :lol:
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:11 am This looks similar to when you try to spec a 1 series to over £100k on the configurator. :lol:
It's quite hard to do that since WLTP - options are packaged and limited on lower trim levels so you can't just stick everyone on a 116d :(

Still managed to get a doom blue 520d SE to nearly £80k: https://configure.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/configid/153s3mp0
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:30 am
Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:11 am This looks similar to when you try to spec a 1 series to over £100k on the configurator. :lol:
It's quite hard to do that since WLTP - options are packaged and limited on lower trim levels so you can't just stick everyone on a 116d :(

Still managed to get a doom blue 520d SE to nearly £80k: https://configure.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/configid/153s3mp0
Most importantly: are there any blank buttons?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Beany

Post by Beany »

I was gonna take the piss on dropping seemingly huge amounts on a domestic appliance, but I've just dumped £350 on a new router so I can't fucking talk.

The last one has done near a decade of work and has been flaking out a little lately, so hopefully this will last another ten years

Can't see multi-gig WAN connections (or a need for them, frankly - 4k streaming is only just becoming reasonably feasible on mid-level hardware, etc, never mind WAN connections) being a common thing till then at least.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

So what does that do better than a boggo £60 one?
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:20 pm So what does that do better than a boggo £60 one?
Stability, flexibility, security, business-centric stuff like domain-based routing (IE VPN to my internet hosted server, but not to Youtube), the ability to do decent multiWAN failover (IE I could stick a 4g USB modem in there, have that act as a secondary WAN automatically), solid multiprotocol VPN/VPN trunking options, verbose systems logs and other admittedly fairly techy-obscurata that I appreciate.

It doesn't have the ability to upload stickers to my sponsored content gamer discord multimarketing crypto wallet like and subscribe discount code, but I'm not interested in that.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

In a very un-man maths moment I've avoided dropping a load of cash on a Mac Studio by simply editing at 1080 rather than 4k :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

Gavster wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:03 pm In a very un-man maths moment I've avoided dropping a load of cash on a Mac Studio by simply editing at 1080 rather than 4k :lol:
GET OUT.

It's a funny fucking day when I'm the one spending lots of money on something in this company :lol:
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

It's also a very good day; you've come a long way, Beany 8-)
Beany

Post by Beany »

Wait till I buy a piece of exercise equipment.

Likely after new year at this rate, I'm all over the shop in December.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Beany wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:11 pm
Gavster wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:03 pm In a very un-man maths moment I've avoided dropping a load of cash on a Mac Studio by simply editing at 1080 rather than 4k :lol:
GET OUT.

It's a funny fucking day when I'm the one spending lots of money on something in this company :lol:
How the turntables :D

It is good news though - you're earning the dough to buy nice shit and I've stopped spunking cash on the whimsiest of excuses.
Beany

Post by Beany »

It truly is a topsy turvy world.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Is there not some sort of option for media content generators to access software and computing capacity to edit their content on a Cloud based "use" pricing model ??

If not, there should be if £60k is the price of admission for kit to create 4k content
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:10 am Is there not some sort of option for media content generators to access software and computing capacity to edit their content on a Cloud based "use" pricing model ??

If not, there should be if £60k is the price of admission for kit to create 4k content
It's a sliding scale though - I can film and edit a single 4K clip on my iPhone and upload that to YouTube as a starting point.

My 2018 MBP can barely edit sections of 4K footage from my Panasonic GH5, the preview is choppy and jumps around, it's hard to use.

My 2020 Mac Mini is fine for editing single camera 4K footage, and you can get one of those for £500. It's when I add in the multicam footage that it craps itself, because it's previewing 3 or 4 pieces of 4K footage simultaneously.

That £60k machine is literally the most expensive, insanely specced item Apple make. I doubt anyone has ever bought one at that spec! A mid point Mac Studio for £2k+ would be a good stepping stone, which is far more affordable.

I suspect that cloud-based solutions are still limited due to potential file sizes and the amount of computing power needed. At the top end, RAW 8K footage can be 100GB+ per minute of footage. Anything more than a 60 second tiktok will require terrabytes of files to be handled, as well as a lot of power at the server end to process.
tim

Post by tim »

When I was dicking about with 4k footage in Adobe Premier, you could set the preview to a much lower res, to help with situations like this. You only only need to render the final output to 4k.