Smartwatches

drcarlos

Smartwatches

Post by drcarlos »

My galaxy active 2 has died due to water ingress (went swimming with and despite it being ip67 rated it leaked and has died) as we were on a long weekend break insurance look like it might cover it.
Not keen on another Samsung after this and the failure of my note 10 so I'm looking elsewhere. Apple not an option as I'm embedded in android too heavily so I'm thinking a Garmin fenix (probably a 6 pro) or maybe a Suunto 9.
They need to have:
Android compatibility
Good battery life
Waterproof
Strava compatible
Rugged would be good but not essential
Anyone got anything they recommend?
mr_jon

Re: Smartwatches

Post by mr_jon »

Garmin is the only option for the serious. Fenix 6 Pro, Forerunner 955, Fenix 7, Epix 2 in rough price order. Fenix 6 probs in sweet spot, misses running power and a few other bells.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I have a Garmin vivoactive 4 and it's brilliant. Does everything I need it to do. Has been fine when swimming and never missed a beat on my trek in Peru doing all day GPS tracking in the mountains.

I'd definitely have another Garmin when the time comes.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I do have a barely used Suunto 9 Baro I could sell for much cheapness as I think my days of ultra running are over ;)

If I wasn't a brainwashed Apple nerd, even I'd probably go for a Garmin Fenix these days as they seem to be so far ahead of Suunto now.
Cheers,

Mike.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

My Galaxy Active 2 is packing up so I’ve just ordered one of these.

https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/698394#overview
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Ascender wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:14 am I do have a barely used Suunto 9 Baro I could sell for much cheapness as I think my days of ultra running are over ;)

If I wasn't a brainwashed Apple nerd, even I'd probably go for a Garmin Fenix these days as they seem to be so far ahead of Suunto now.
I was looking at the 9 Baro, I'd never seen Suunto before but though I'd look around to see what else was in the market before I opted for a Garmin, one thing that put me off the 9 baro was it did look absolutely huge but I guess it's needed for the battery life they quote.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

drcarlos wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:03 pm
Ascender wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:14 am I do have a barely used Suunto 9 Baro I could sell for much cheapness as I think my days of ultra running are over ;)

I was looking at the 9 Baro, I'd never seen Suunto before but though I'd look around to see what else was in the market before I opted for a Garmin, one thing that put me off the 9 baro was it did look absolutely huge but I guess it's needed for the battery life they quote.
They're one of the top brands for dive computers. I've had many happy dives wearing my Vyper to keep track of things.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I think it's small by today's standards, some of the Garmin's look massive, but that's the way the market is headed I guess with the size of the Fenix etc.
Cheers,

Mike.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Ascender wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:37 pm

I think it's small by today's standards, some of the Garmin's look massive, but that's the way the market is headed I guess with the size of the Fenix etc.
Looks like a visit to John Lewis is in order then, I don't want something the diameter of a coffee mug on my wrist!

Another requirement added.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

47mm is the sweet spot. Thinking Epix 2.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

I'm still trying to sort out my insurance claim (as it happened on a holiday) so haven't progressed anything yet. This probably should turn into a moan.

Insurance company have asked for an engineers report/quote for repair (which I got them to fund after they told me not to worry about it twice). I tried to get this done via Samsung as per their request and it turns out I was sold (via a local retailer) a non-EU model (not marked as such) which had no EU warranty and cannot be booked in via Samsung or their repair partner, so I now need to confirm that a report from a local company is acceptable.

Quickly getting bored of this.

When I do get to go ahead of a new purchase 47mm doesn't sound too bad as my Active2 was a 44mm and seemed a little small.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Zonda_ wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:46 pm My Galaxy Active 2 is packing up so I’ve just ordered one of these.

https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/698394#overview
I've got a Vivomove Style and I like it - and the Garmin software is absolutely light years ahead of the Huawei I had before - but the Vivomove display could really do with being brighter & clearer. That seems to be the trade-off for being stealthy.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

You quickly get used to the slight size increase of 2/3 mm and they never look as big once you've got it on your wrist.
Cheers,

Mike.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

I have a Suunto 5 I think, the stuff it does is awesome but I really struggle to read the smaller displays when running or cycling or indeed just looking to see what notification has come through, not really great to put reading glasses in during activities so, having bought it online, I will also be checking what each display is like on any new watch I go for in the flesh.

I do like it though, I prefer it to my previous Garmin which was touch screen as it was easy to accidentally touch a menu, particularly swimming.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Having dropped off the Active2 now at a local repair shop for a quote what's the betting that they'll choose to repair it and not write it off :lol: .

It's proved it's not much use to me as it's not waterproof (despite the IP67 100m rating).

Once they decide what to do i'll go see both the Suunto and Garmins. I don't think the 3mm jump will be too bad on my wrists, I think the models used must be quite small in the wrist dept as my 44mm Active is not much smaller overall but is not huge on my wrist.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Insurance paid out this morning so I've ordered a Fenix 6X Pro from john Lewis. Work gave us a voucher again so it's cost me 5 whole pounds to get the Fenix. So not a disaster.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I've been using the pixel watch for 2 days now and its actually quite good. I spose if you want to get fit these things are even more of a benefit.

People seem to be giving them away on ebay still so probably worth a look if you are an android person.
Beany

Post by Beany »

If you're just using it as a watch/heartbeat monitor/notification sink etc, then turn on power saver mode.

No 'twist to show face' but that's not a huge thing (just tap the face) and it lasts a bit over two days on a charge which is less annoying than having to charge it every fucking night - and it still does all of the above.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Beany wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:58 pm If you're just using it as a watch/heartbeat monitor/notification sink etc, then turn on power saver mode.

No 'twist to show face' but that's not a huge thing (just tap the face) and it lasts a bit over two days on a charge which is less annoying than having to charge it every fucking night - and it still does all of the above.
Battery sounds a bit rubbish. I get plenty more life from my Garmin (which has GPS turned off unless I'm running, etc). It looks nice though from what I've seen.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, the battery is a bit poo, perhaps a day and a bit in normal mode.

It's fairly pretty but I've just noticed I've got a scratch on the face now, not sure where that came from.

Oh well, all I use it for is notifications and heartbeat monitoring, I don't care too much.